Replace water pump now idles high during start up and transmission shifts hard 1 and 2nd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tagrunt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The bearing on the water pump was bad so I replaced the water pump, clutch fan, and thermostat. Now my engine idles high when start and transmission shifts hard in 1st and 2nd.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does it actually idle high or are you hearing your new clutch fan kick in when its cold Whats your RPMs at idle? Its normall for it to ide high for the first min or so when cold.

OP
OP
T

Tagrunt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This has been going on for 2 weeks. It never did it before the water pump was replaced. But it started 3 days after the pump was replaced.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This has been going on for 2 weeks. It never did it before the water pump was replaced. But it started 3 days after the pump was replaced.

Have you scanned the vehicle for any stored trouble codes, including the transmission?

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Unfortunately I haven't had time to deal with it. My little brother died Thursday. We had his funeral Saturday. He was only 50.

Can AutoZone scanner find stored codes?
Sorry for your loss.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately I haven't had time to deal with it. My little brother died Thursday. We had his funeral Saturday. He was only 50.

Can AutoZone scanner find stored codes?
yes a autozone scanner should be fine next time your in the truck after it runs a few mins check to see what your truck idles at rpm wise and let us know.
Sorry for your loss.

OP
OP
T

Tagrunt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Scanner could not find any codes. After engine warms up I read 700 rpms. Temperature is 57 degrees p the transmission did it again. If I disconnected the battery and let it sit and turn the headlight switch to on the drain it would that help? By making the computer learn again?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Scanner could not find any codes. After engine warms up I read 700 rpms. Temperature is 57 degrees p the transmission did it again. If I disconnected the battery and let it sit and turn the headlight switch to on the drain it would that help? By making the computer learn again?
Worth a try,step on the brake pedal for 30 seconds to while the battery is disconnected,along with turning the lights on.Then when you reconnect the battery,cycle the key to the run position but don't start the truck,and step on the gas pedal and with-in 10 seconds push it to the floor smoothly and release it smoothly,then cycle key off,open door,close door and start the truck to relearn the skinny pedal

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
The engine (coolant) temperature on your digital dash gauge
reads 100 on startup , correct?
If it doesn’t you may have to check the H2o sensor and make a resistance test ( OR ) sometimes gasket sealant contacts the sensor and throws off readings and all you have to do is clean it.
If the resistance isn't within specifications you should replace it.
You may have a pending P0117

Did you install a new OE coolant thermostat… what was its rated temperature for 198 ?

Last edited:

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry for your loss.
Sounds like you may have forget to reconnect or disconnected the throttle body air intake temp sensor possibly

OP
OP
T

Tagrunt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well everything looks connected turn the battery off did everything turn it back on still no change. I have a mobile mechanic coming tomorrow with a diagnostic scanner to check everything.

OP
OP
T

Tagrunt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well the mechanic showed up with the snap on scanner. No codes and no history of codes. scanning while we test drove it. Of course it didn't act up. He suggested it could be the clutch fan. Change it to an OEM clutch fan.