Replacement Push & Go fob. Where to buy ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've already found a locksmith here in town that advertises remotes and programming.
Time to find out if they can/will do it and what they charge.
I'd bet a paycheck they'll be substantially cheaper than the dealer.

And yes @RamDiver, I have the little buttons/switches instead of the copper tracks. The only thing that seems to help is disassembly to replace the battery and re-assembly. That helps the newer remote for a couple days.

The 'better' remote is actually 3 years newer. I bought the truck used from a dealer and they only had one remote. I told them to give me a 2nd remote as a condition of the sale, so the 'better' remote is from July 2017.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
UPDATE: The locksmith here in town charges $148 per remote plus $42 to program either one remote or both, so roughly $350 for 2 new and programmed remotes.

He had the option of using OEM Mopar remotes or aftermarket, this is for the OEM.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
UPDATE: The locksmith here in town charges $148 per remote plus $42 to program either one remote or both, so roughly $350 for 2 new and programmed remotes.

He had the option of using OEM Mopar remotes or aftermarket, this is for the OEM.
Can't beat that. Would do that deal in a heart beat.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Can't beat that. Would do that deal in a heart beat.

Thanks!

The closest locksmith wants $110 to program 1 remote plus $55 for the 2nd remote. :oops:
That's just programming, the remotes or course are extra.

But hey, he's a certified drone pilot. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Did you mean Dealer?
The drone pilot info and prices came from the web site of a 2nd locksmith in the area.

IIRC my Dealer wants over $700 for 2 remotes and programming.
I shouldn't be surprised, they wanted over $70 for a Mopar engine air filter.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The drone pilot info and prices came from the web site of a 2nd locksmith in the area.

IIRC my Dealer wants over $700 for 2 remotes and programming.
I shouldn't be surprised, they wanted over $70 for a Mopar engine air filter.
Your Dealer prices are REALLY high. I only paid $335 for 2 OEM remotes, including programming at my dealer and those are Canadian Pesos. Air Filters are 22.95, cabin air 23.95.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, all those solutions look like a pile of money to replace a FOB with another cheap POS microswitch. I can understand that we all have a different comfort level when working with PCBs and electronic stuff but, holy $hit.

This proposed solution isn't for everyone but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a bag of microswitches from Amazon and change the switches on the FOB myself.

If you're not comfortable performing the task, surely if you supply the materials to a friend or local electronics shop to do the job for a reasonable amount, you'd save a pile of cash.

I know that not everyone owns several soldering irons or may not be too comfortable with the task but at those prices, I'd try my best effort before giving up or find someone to assist. :cool:

I or another member can provide tips and pointers if anyone is feeling courageous and wants to try this repair themselves. The cost of a soldering iron would still be hugely offset by the savings of DIY.

I will try to locate a better YouTube demo, this is an example to show the task but the soldering skills could be improved upon with a few tips.

Last edited:

GoRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like your remote is probably different than mine (I have the pear shaped one). When it finally came time to me to replace mine (had only 1 come with my truck when I bought it second hand), I found one on aliexpress (yeah, yeah I know [https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33031548867.html]) for a test run and worked perfectly after programmed to my truck, so I bought a couple more as backup.

Took it into my dealer for programming and they completed it a few minutes but needed to charge me a min of 15 mins so was under $30. Didn't matter if I had 1 or more. They of course would not guarantee the remotes would work, but it was well worth the try, and since it did work, even better!

Dr J Cumminz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L with Aisin
The buttons seem to be worn down to the point that they don’t work reliably inside the shell…but work pretty consistently when the chip is outside the shell.

My theory is that the shell buttons are not making proper contact with the chip buttons ?
I had this problem and it turns out there is a trick to this. Put a penny in the fob under the battery. The issue is the fob actually gets bent to where the contact is not complete. Although this is a temporary fix, it works really well.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have the push button start, so keyless,
I have cleaned mine a few times, take apart and clean the silicone buttons with soap and water and a tooth brush. Clean the board with contact cleaner, alcohol may work as well.
if the battery connection is poor with a small pick , you can bend the contacts out some to give more pressure on the battery connections.
I think putting a penny under the battery is asking to break the cck. board. We don't have pennies anymore in Canada, cost too much to make and worthless anyway.

make sure everything is dry before powering up.

A PS re remotes, My cable box remotes in the house will start giving trouble, and I find that a good cleaning of the buttons, which are the same type if thing as the truck ones will get them back to working properly.
If you had young kids with sticky finger that could help. Some can be hard to open, the ones I have have a small screw in the battery compartment , then you have to use a small tool, knife to snap them open.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Just the outer cases

complete FOBs, every Ram option

The only thing is when you buy a complete FOB, you may have trouble finding a Locksmith that will program it or them for you.

I bought a new after market FOB from a local Locksmith, they also programed it & made a new Valet Key $145.98

There is a spring under the battery, it can be bent to work better

----------------------------------------------------

another option is

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nystagmus

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine
Has anyone tried Tom’s Key Company, where you buy the doo dad to program the fob yourself ?