Replacing Dash Gauge cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MilesCamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
I'm trying to replace my gauge cluster on my 2001 3500 diesel. Dodge no longer makes the part so the dealer sent it out to be fixed - $735 later I get it back and the gauges all work now but the back lights don't come on so I can't see the gauges at night. $365 later the lights worked roughly one day. The dealer serviceman said they were the only ones to repair it because they were the only ones capable of dealing with the computer.

My local auto recycler has a complete cluster out of a 2001 2500 diesel with 100K less on the odometer, which they think should work, for only $83. It appears to be well within my capabilities to install. Four screws holding it in, two 12 volt plugs and attaching the gear indicator.

Does this sound reasonable to everyone here?

Cheers,
Miles

Last edited:

Bill Blackmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s too bad they changed clusters on 2000. I have a complete new cluster for the 94-98 Ram. I have had my cluster out and is easy to remove. Yours should be easy but just take your time and do not force anything.

Reactions: Mop
OP
OP
M

MilesCamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
Thanks Bill, I bought the Cluster from the wrecker and as luck would have it the dash lights came back on before I installed the new one. I'm going to keep it since the 2500 and the 3500 should be identical and I've had so much trouble with the original. It's a good truck, 250,000+ miles and the first serious problem I've had in 20 years. Think I'll keep it.

Reactions: Mop

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m not for sure, but I’d say there is a very good chance that the other cluster will just read your actual mileage. Electronic gauges read what a computer tells them to say. It’s not like an old mechanical odometer. I haven’t had to change one on my Dodge, but I know the big rigs I work on have that info saved in the body controller computer.