Replacing Original Factory Tires Before 10K

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zzzxhk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
There are still a few miles left on them, but after a little over 5k miles on a brand new '23 3500 bought in Feb '23, they suck for wear. It's all even, but I'm thinking of new ones before we go on a cross country trip to be safe.

I pull a 32' 5th wheel, have pulled 1000 miles, even with towing, I wouldn't think the wear would be that bad so soon.

But WTF is up with the tires from the factory??? How long are these supposed to last? I can see changing because I want to, but not because I have to in under 10k.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
If you are a mostly highway hauler, then take a look at Michelin Defender LTX M/S LT tires.
Albeit I'm in a 1500 and not a 3500, but, same-same-but-different ;)

They are Load Range 'E' and 10-ply and have incredible road manners with excellent wet/rain traction. Just my opinion though.

I've had the stocks, I've had the BFG KO2's, and now I'm on the Michelin's, and for me anyways, the Michelin's are a fantastic tire.

They also have great warranty support from the factory, too.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There are still a few miles left on them, but after a little over 5k miles on a brand new '23 3500 bought in Feb '23, they suck for wear. It's all even, but I'm thinking of new ones before we go on a cross country trip to be safe.

I pull a 32' 5th wheel, have pulled 1000 miles, even with towing, I wouldn't think the wear would be that bad so soon.

But WTF is up with the tires from the factory??? How long are these supposed to last? I can see changing because I want to, but not because I have to in under 10k.

That’s pretty low mileage even for OE’s . I got 25k out of mine . Firestone Transforce HT’s .

My 2014 3500 is pretty tough on tires , I too tow a heavy fifth wheel . I rotate every 5k . Went thru a set of Toyo AT2’s in less than 40k . Trying a set of Cooper AT3 XLT’s . So far it’s the best handling tire I’ve run so far on this truck , time will tell on mileage.

OP
OP
zzzxhk

zzzxhk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Michelin Defender LTX M/S LT tires
Thanks, I'll take a look.

More info would be helpful.
It was meant as more of a general question, maybe should have asked how far did you run your factory tires?

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you are a mostly highway hauler, then take a look at Michelin Defender LTX M/S LT tires.
Albeit I'm in a 1500 and not a 3500, but, same-same-but-different ;)

They are Load Range 'E' and 10-ply and have incredible road manners with excellent wet/rain traction. Just my opinion though.

I've had the stocks, I've had the BFG KO2's, and now I'm on the Michelin's, and for me anyways, the Michelin's are a fantastic tire.

They also have great warranty support from the factory, too.
I wish I could say that about the Michelin’s I’ve ran , they always got those cracks , and not very good mileage . Maybe the Defender’s are better. I know those Michelin AT2’s are terrible.

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

At least you got what you got.... I had 3000 mi on mine and blew a tire out pulling out of my driveway. Whipped the truck around and got it back in my yard and as I put it in park, the tire pressure hit 0. When I took it in to get fixed, the guy came from the back and asked what I plugged the tire with. I looked at him dumbfounded and he said come take a look at this. So I walked back there and he explained he didnt have a plug near as big as what came loose. Sure enough a rubber plug about the size of my thumb had come loose. I pulled it out and there was about a dime size hole going through this "Brand new tire".

Guy told me I could call the dealership and if I could get a tire, he would throw it on there for me. I just bought a new set of tires instead. Talk about a sucker punch to the gut, think I had only made 1 or 2 payments on my truck and was already buying new tires.

Went with coopers, probably wont go with them again. On my previous trucks i had really good luck with Hankook Dynapros. I might try them again or go with Toyo's.

OP
OP
zzzxhk

zzzxhk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
At least you got what you got.... I had 3000 mi on mine and blew a tire out pulling out of my driveway. Whipped the truck around and got it back in my yard and as I put it in park, the tire pressure hit 0. When I took it in to get fixed, the guy came from the back and asked what I plugged the tire with. I looked at him dumbfounded and he said come take a look at this. So I walked back there and he explained he didnt have a plug near as big as what came loose. Sure enough a rubber plug about the size of my thumb had come loose. I pulled it out and there was about a dime size hole going through this "Brand new tire".

Guy told me I could call the dealership and if I could get a tire, he would throw it on there for me. I just bought a new set of tires instead. Talk about a sucker punch to the gut, think I had only made 1 or 2 payments on my truck and was already buying new tires.

Went with coopers, probably wont go with them again. On my previous trucks i had really good luck with Hankook Dynapros. I might try them again or go with Toyo's.
DAMN! Sounds like something fishy, I would guess the dealer, but you never know.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Curious, what Cooper did you get , I couldn’t be happier with the Cooper AT3 XLT’s , to date best tire I’ve run on my Ram 3500 . No more Toyos for me .

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
DAMN! Sounds like something fishy, I would guess the dealer, but you never know.
Ya I bought the truck a state away too because local dealers didnt have what I was looking for. Found one 600 mi away and they gave me a WAY better value for the truck I was trading in. So I couldnt even call a local dealer and hope to get a tire, and no way I was going to try and haggle a tire from another state. Just had to eat the situation and buy new tires. Not worth attorneys or getting overly upset. But whats funny is my last truck I bought, I had to put new tires on it before 5k mi as well. Dealership covered those ones because they said they were new tires, had a leak, took that one to the shop and they said tires were to old to repair.

Joke is.... hopefully I get a decent set of tires on the next truck I buy.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If I don’t get decent service out of the Coopers , it will be Falkens next .

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Curious, what Cooper did you get , I couldn’t be happier with the Cooper AT3 XLT’s , to date best tire I’ve run on my Ram 3500 . No more Toyos for me .
Cooper Discover St Maxx. They were really good initially but I have got a terrible vibration above 60, have had it in a few times to rebalanced. I finally got them road force balanced and they were good again, but already feeling the vibration coming back a little. So I am struggling with these tires a little. Kind of ready to try something different as I have been to the tire shop 4 times this year fighting these tires. They get better, so I know its the tires, but they just go back to vibrating.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Cooper Discover St Maxx. They were really good initially but I have got a terrible vibration above 60, have had it in a few times to rebalanced. I finally got them road force balanced and they were good again, but already feeling the vibration coming back a little. So I am struggling with these tires a little. Kind of ready to try something different as I have been to the tire shop 4 times this year fighting these tires. They get better, so I know its the tires, but they just go back to vibrating.

That sucks , mine have about 8k on them rotated once , balanced when mounted new , nothing since . I don’t rebalance a tire , nor take it to the shop unless it does need rebalancing. I rotate them at home , hate anyone doing anymore than needed on my vehicles. Definitely no maintenance from someone.

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That sucks , mine have about 8k on them rotated once , balanced when mounted new , nothing since . I don’t rebalance a tire , nor take it to the shop unless it does need rebalancing. I rotate them at home , hate anyone doing anymore than needed on my vehicles. Definitely no maintenance from someone.
The tire shop has free rotation and balancing if you buy tires from them. I have always taken my tires to get rotated and balanced after every oil change, just the habit I have been in for the last 10 years. Never had issues with any other tires doing this. These are my first set of coopers and will likely be my last. I will say, the first 15-20k mi were a dream. I have 35k mi on my truck and these tires have 32k mi on them. Tread wise, they are holding up really well and I will probably get another 20-30k mi out of them. As long as my teeth dont fall out of my mouth driving down the hwy from them getting wildly unbalanced. I went to a bass tourney in June, and towing the bass boat to the lake at 70 mph was downright AWFUL! It was what made me get them road force balanced and I actually thought maybe something was wrong with the truck after that trip. But, the road force balance definitely fixed the issue..... but its starting to come back unfortunately.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I wish I could say that about the Michelin’s I’ve ran , they always got those cracks , and not very good mileage . Maybe the Defender’s are better. I know those Michelin AT2’s are terrible.
Two different tires, yes.
I also staunchly discern tires between models and brands, specifically.

While I've only put on, say, 15,000Km's or so on my current Michelin Defender LTX M/S summer tires (and these are my very first set of Michelin tires in my driving career), they have proven to be excellent in heavy rain (hitting large pools of water on the highway at 100/KMH and not pulling me in, nor losing straight line traction or control of my steering) and light mist road conditions where the roads start to release the oils and make it slick AF to drive on.

I am hoping they don't have any tread separation in the future, but only time will tell.
My BFG KO2's were just starting to show tread separation on their third summer.

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The tire shop has free rotation and balancing if you buy tires from them. I have always taken my tires to get rotated and balanced after every oil change, just the habit I have been in for the last 10 years. Never had issues with any other tires doing this. These are my first set of coopers and will likely be my last. I will say, the first 15-20k mi were a dream. I have 35k mi on my truck and these tires have 32k mi on them. Tread wise, they are holding up really well and I will probably get another 20-30k mi out of them. As long as my teeth dont fall out of my mouth driving down the hwy from them getting wildly unbalanced. I went to a bass tourney in June, and towing the bass boat to the lake at 70 mph was downright AWFUL! It was what made me get them road force balanced and I actually thought maybe something was wrong with the truck after that trip. But, the road force balance definitely fixed the issue..... but its starting to come back unfortunately.
Yes my tire shop also has the free rotation, and balancing . For me after having to use a two foot cheater pipe on an 18” breaker bar to remove some lug nuts , I really don’t want anyone messing with my tires, and wheels if I can help it . I’ve been fortunate, I can’t remember the last time I’ve had a set of tires rebalanced.

Many many years ago like you I took my truck in for rotation , and balancing , I got asked do they need to be balanced , I said as far as I’m concerned, no . He said then don’t mess with them . Made sense to me .

I don’t know how many times I’ve seen that 18 year old in a tire shop tighten up lug nuts with the air gun , then put a torque wrench to them , and you can see that the nut does not move at all, all that happens is the torque wrench clicking , and once that’s done those lug bolts have been stretched. IMO most are lucky they don’t have an issue, I’m sure many are not over tightened much , but are a bit . I usually caution them on this , and hope for the best when getting new tires . Besides I’m retired, and the tools to do my own .

truck2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Two different tires, yes.
I also staunchly discern tires between models and brands, specifically.

While I've only put on, say, 15,000Km's or so on my current Michelin Defender LTX M/S summer tires (and these are my very first set of Michelin tires in my driving career), they have proven to be excellent in heavy rain (hitting large pools of water on the highway at 100/KMH and not pulling me in, nor losing straight line traction or control of my steering) and light mist road conditions where the roads start to release the oils and make it slick AF to drive on.

I am hoping they don't have any tread separation in the future, but only time will tell.
My BFG KO2's were just starting to show tread separation on their third summer.
I’ve heard good things about the Defenders , just been reluctant to try another set of Michelins after the experience I’ve had with them. I swore after running a set of Toyo’s on my present truck , never another set of Toyos . But when it became time to replace my wife’s car tires, I asked my tire guy , the place I buy ALL my tires , RV included , he recommended a Toyo all season . So I’m running another set on my wife’s car . :rolleyes:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
My factory Michelins AS on my 06 2500 CTD lasted 80K and I still had 3/32 when I replace them...