Replacing the switch panel to add AUX buttons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeZulu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good day everyone :)

My 21 Warlock didn't include AUX switches in the instrument panel. I just ordered some KC lights and I was wondering if I can replace the current panel with a panel that has physical switches. I'd prefer to avoid having extra buttons in random places. Is it possible to do that with all the wiring?

Appreciated

Attachments

• 20221107_093749.jpg
    20221107_093749.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 25

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

My 21 Warlock didn't include AUX switches in the instrument panel. I just ordered some KC lights and I was wondering if I can replace the current panel with a panel that has physical switches. I'd prefer to avoid having extra buttons in random places. Is it possible to do that with all the wiring?

Appreciated
There is a factory upfitter kit to add a row of AUX buttons there.

nekkidhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
yeah you can get the hd aux switches and swap them em. upfitters for plows and such. i wouldnt pay 250 bucks for that relay box everyone talks about no offense to the company but you can do the same for under 50 bucks

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That sounds like a decent plan. My local Mopar dealer could install it for me hopefully!

I doubt the dealer will touch that. It's not a "OEM factory" kit so it's not something they would mess with in my experience. It's an aftermarkter kit as far as I know. I just did it myself.

Here is a thread with some great info on how to.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
As far as I know it is a MOPAR kit but if a dealer will do it they will definitely charge a lot for it as it's somewhat labor intensive. It's meant for HD trucks as an option.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
As far as I know it is a MOPAR kit but if a dealer will do it they will definitely charge a lot for it as it's somewhat labor intensive. It's meant for HD trucks as an option.

I've never seen anyone get a "kit" from mopar. They have all been piece parted together by members on here and there is a 3rd party seller web site that can put it all together as well.
Like I said, I did a lot of research and installed it on my HD by piecing the parts together myself, never found a kit.

OP
OP
M

MikeZulu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never seen anyone get a "kit" from mopar. They have all been piece parted together by members on here and there is a 3rd party seller web site that can put it all together as well.
Like I said, I did a lot of research and installed it on my HD by piecing the parts together myself, never found a kit.
Honestly coming from a Wrangler and comparing 3rd party accessories won't really be fair, but it really does seem like there's a huge untapped market for 3rd party accessories for RAM and a ton of DIYers out there.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Honestly coming from a Wrangler and comparing 3rd party accessories won't really be fair, but it really does seem like there's a huge untapped market for 3rd party accessories for RAM and a ton of DIYers out there.

There have been a few that have jumped into that market, problem right now is part availability. It's been hard to even get the connectors you are going to need to make the harness. There was a company that put all the parts together as a "kit" but after just searching it appears they are no longer in business.

If you want to add the switches you are going to have to read that thread I posted and source the parts yourself.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
OH there is ... Rams period don't get as much love as other trucks when it comes down to aftermarket anything ...

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Fair enough, I've only ever searched it by kit and the price tag was a turn off so I still don't have it!

nekkidhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Fair enough, I've only ever searched it by kit and the price tag was a turn off so I still don't have it!
other than the switches panel only thing you need is some relays tbh. you can get one of those relay boxes of ebay. then you just pin your trigger wires in the plug in the back of the switch or you could hunt up the connectors to make a t harness but idk why anyone would unless for simple plug an play. but if you already wiring its not a huge step. i was actually curious if all the other switches not the aux but like the top for more loaded up truck row could be made to control relays as well. not sure. just was a thought process.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
other than the switches panel only thing you need is some relays tbh. you can get one of those relay boxes of ebay. then you just pin your trigger wires in the plug in the back of the switch or you could hunt up the connectors to make a t harness but idk why anyone would unless for simple plug an play. but if you already wiring its not a huge step. i was actually curious if all the other switches not the aux but like the top for more loaded up truck row could be made to control relays as well. not sure. just was a thought process.

If you want to change the function of the switches you will also have to enable them in the BCM with ALFAOBD. I did but it's not required if you have no need to change the function.

There is no way to use the other buttons as switches, they are controlled across the LIN bus.

nekkidhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If you want to change the function of the switches you will also have to enable them in the BCM with ALFAOBD. I did but it's not required if you have no need to change the function.

There is no way to use the other buttons as switches, they are controlled across the LIN bus.

i guess i should have mentioned you need alfa. wasnt aware on other switches if they had a pin you could tap like the aux.

jimspencer741

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My 2015 RAM came with AUX switches from factory. It had 5 switches which are programmable as well. To use them, go into engine bay driver side, there is the connector with the switch outputs to set them up for whatever you need them for.

jimspencer741

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

Appreciated
YES - http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2015/docs/ram/ramaux.pdf

My 2015 Ram came with 5 AUX switches from factory.

To use them once the AUX switched are installed, you'll need the Upfiter Aux Switch Under Hood Wiring Kit.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My 2015 RAM came with AUX switches from factory. It had 5 switches which are programmable as well. To use them, go into engine bay driver side, there is the connector with the switch outputs to set them up for whatever you need them for.

And what in the World does that have to do with the factory providing a aftermarket "kit" to retro fit a truck that didn't come with them??????? You should really do some reading before you comment, makes you look foolish
I know exactly how it works, I added them to my truck after the fact.

jimspencer741

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
And what in the World does that have to do with the factory providing a aftermarket "kit" to retro fit a truck that didn't come with them??????? You should really do some reading before you comment, makes you look foolish
I know exactly how it works, I added them to my truck after the fact.

Umm you can get the factory set up still after the fact - no need to "piece" it all together

you look foolish for doing what ya doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Umm you can get the factory set up still after the fact - no need to "piece" it all together

you look foolish for doing what ya doing.

Lol, no you cannot. The only fool here is the one in your mirror.

Last edited by a moderator: