Reset the computer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2013sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If im not mistaken I diconnect battery on my 2013 1500 sport 5.7 to reset the computer as it has learned my driving habits.
How long do I leave is disconnected?
Or am I doing this wrong and what is the right way?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Dbush36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I installed my vararam, the instruction said disconnect negative bat term for two hours to reset fuel trims so I'm sure that would do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
2013sport

2013sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I installed my vararam, the instruction said disconnect negative bat term for two hours to reset fuel trims so I'm sure that would do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok thanks for the help

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All you are accomplishing is to set the varibels back to the orig ( usaully midpoint) settings,
Why would you do this?
Just drive it like you stole it and she will wake up, ir get out on the highway and baby it and MPG will improve.
The PCM/TCM stores values every ten minutes

I don't understand why Vararamm says to disconnect the battery for two hours or whatever: I spent the two hours doing WOT runs.

fuel trims? I was already drivng agressively, so why bother. Its not like the Vararam offers so much air flow the factory PCM cant adjust for it.

Also If your doing some upgrades and flashing a tune, you just reset most everything.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I don't understand why Vararamm says to disconnect the battery for two hours or whatever: ...........

Because there is capacitors in the memory circuitry that hold an electrical charge and take time to discharge once battery power is removed.

An "old school" way to immediately dump memory was to disconnect both cables from the battery and touch the cables +/- together for about 30 seconds and this grounded out and discharged any latent capacitance electrical charge. This method though is no longer a preferred method in more modern vehicles.

Ramrt1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 2012 I disconnect the negative battery cable for at least a couple hours, then I start my vehicle and let it idle for a few minutes. Then I take it for a short drive around town or on the highway. The computer will eventually adjust to the changes on it's own but it could take a couple hundred miles. Disconnecting the battery just speeds up the process.

LifeSTRONG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No need to do this if you have a tuner correct?