5-45 RFE swap to manual, computer issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Knowing the limitations of the 5-45, and rather than going to the 8 speed auto, with it's costs and issues, plus the fun of driving a stick, I'm debating going to a manual transmission.
The wrenching part of the swap is a non-issue for me, my biggest concern is making the computer happy. I've read that the dealer can re-flash the computer to a manual trans, true?
Can anyone with a tuner do that?
I've found a company that sells the parts needed, reasonably, but could probably source them from a scrapyard.
I'm thinking about using the trans from a Challenger (Tremec TR6060) so I can shift quickly but am concerned about whether it will hold up. I've read that a missed shift will destroy them.
Hemi truck manuals seem to be pretty rare. Diesel manuals aren't but bolt pattern is different, plus I don't need that big heavy clutch.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Knowing the limitations of the 5-45, and rather than going to the 8 speed auto, with it's costs and issues, plus the fun of driving a stick, I'm debating going to a manual transmission.
The wrenching part of the swap is a non-issue for me, my biggest concern is making the computer happy. I've read that the dealer can re-flash the computer to a manual trans, true?
Can anyone with a tuner do that?
I've found a company that sells the parts needed, reasonably, but could probably source them from a scrapyard.
I'm thinking about using the trans from a Challenger (Tremec TR6060) so I can shift quickly but am concerned about whether it will hold up. I've read that a missed shift will destroy them.
Hemi truck manuals seem to be pretty rare. Diesel manuals aren't but bolt pattern is different, plus I don't need that big heavy clutch.
There's a few 900hp stick Challengers running around,behind a mild 5.7 or 6.4 they're pretty strong. You'll need your pcm flashed to a manual transmission truck,but i'm not sure if thats something a dealer can do or not,but there's aftermarket outfits that can do it,you might even be able to do it with AlphaOBD.

OP
OP
Racer9

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's great news. Thank you.
I have found a couple Viper 6 speeds that should work. Apparently, the Hemi and V10 have the same bolt pattern.
I've got time to do research and gather parts, cruise season is almost upon us, and this will be a next winter project, along with a cam swap and 6.4 intake.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That's great news. Thank you.
I have found a couple Viper 6 speeds that should work. Apparently, the Hemi and V10 have the same bolt pattern.
I've got time to do research and gather parts, cruise season is almost upon us, and this will be a next winter project, along with a cam swap and 6.4 intake.
What are you doing for a clutch pedal and hyd cylinder,are you planning on using the pedal assembly from a early 4th Gen 2500+

OP
OP
Racer9

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow, if I go all new parts;
Tremec TKX 5 speed $2900
Tremec Magnum 6 speed $3500
Dodge bell housing $1000
Dodge Flywheel and clutch $1000
Probably have another $1000 in other parts.
Viper or Challenger 6 speeds are going for $2000 and up with bell, and I might be able to get the flywheel, maybe even the clutch would be usable.
I'm thinking Challenger just because it's closer in year to my 2011 which should make electronics easier to connect.
The NV3500 that was in Dodge trucks until '08 is only rated at 300 lb/ft so that's out.
The other option is a 5 or 6 speed from a 2500/3500 Hemi, or V10. That might be my best bet, especially if I can get all other needed parts.
It would be worth a grand or so to buy a rusty or wrecked one for the parts.

OP
OP
Racer9

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For those following or interested;
Used Challenger trans around $3000 and up, but that moves the starter to the right side, could have header clearance issues.
Used Viper trans about $2500 and up, keeps the starter on the left. V-10 and Hemi have same bolt pattern.
Both options should come with bell, saving $1000. Try to get as many related part as possible, Yoke, flywheel, shifter, etc.
Seeking flywheel info, not sure if V-10 and Hemi are the same.
Luk clutch kit from Rockauto $170.
B&G Performance says about $600 to reflash computer, using Challenger tune, also said only issue with not flashing would be CEL.
I have located a trans, but still won't attempt this until next winter.
Also located a complete E body install kit, checking to see if I can make it work in a truck.
Other concern is where the shifter will come through the floor. I want to keep my center console.

OP
OP
Racer9

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is the question and response I got to my email to AlfaOBD about whether their system could configure a manual trans.

"I have a 2011 Ram truck with an automatic transmission. I am considering swapping a manual transmission from a Dodge Challenger. Will the AlfaOBD system allow the needed computer changes to make systems compatible with the manual transmission in the Ram?
IE; Telling the truck it now has a manual transmission."
Hello,

It must be possible to set the manual transmission in the car configuration using the app.

Regards,

Alexey Chernikov

AlfaOBD

Can someone translate?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
This is the question and response I got to my email to AlfaOBD about whether their system could configure a manual trans.

"I have a 2011 Ram truck with an automatic transmission. I am considering swapping a manual transmission from a Dodge Challenger. Will the AlfaOBD system allow the needed computer changes to make systems compatible with the manual transmission in the Ram?
IE; Telling the truck it now has a manual transmission."

Can someone translate?
Just a guess,but i wonder if auto correct struck,and the "must" should be a "might" .I don't think English is Alexey's first language either.

OP
OP
Racer9

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think I'll have to call them, it's easier to understand and ask questions in real time.
Buying AlfaOBD is cheaper than re-flashing, plus it opens up other options.
It sounds like this is do-able without too much hassle, or expense.

OP
OP
Racer9

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did a little looking around underneath my truck and there is an area in the insulation under the cab that appears to be where one would cut out for a shifter.
Also, on my truck with SW headers a starter will not fit on the passenger side. As we know the motor is shifted right a bit, so with the header tubes coming down where they do here's no way to get a starter in there.
20240328_123254.jpg