Restoring bolt threads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Lol, who makes their own thread chaser?
Some of your posts make absolutely no sense,like this one.What in hell are you talking about

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A thread chaser?? Also known as a tap and die. You can make them to fix threads…

Google it.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
A thread chaser?? Also known as a tap and die. You can make them to fix threads…

Google it.
Apparently the video went over your head then. Thread files are also known as thread chasers to,and were called thread chasers long before most older guys ever had a tap and die set. Ask your grandfather,lol

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Apparently the video went over your head then. Thread files are also known as thread chasers to,and were called thread chasers long before most older guys ever had a tap and die set. Ask your grandfather,lol

LMAO, glad I could explain what a thread chaser is for you.

You may wanna google “automobile mechanic near you”

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
LMAO, glad I could explain what a thread chaser is for you.

You may wanna google “automobile mechanic near you”
Yea you sure did that,"not" :Big Laugh: :cheers: Now that we've established how smart you think you are,why don't you expound us with some more wisdom;):rolleyes:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
A thread chaser?? Also known as a tap and die.
Tap and Die are for actually cutting threads, Thread chasers are ambiguously referred to as tap and die but they're different, usually a good machine tool supply house will carry both.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doesn't everyone own a tap & die set? :rolleyes:

I can see the portability of a thread file being advantageous. Transporting the tap die set is only a mild PITA in most cases but a bit too large to pop in the toolbox while mobile. :cool:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a thread file and a tap and die set. Thread file goes in my portable tool box and the full tap & die set stays in the garage tool box.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sure looks familiar. Not sure if we actually have one floating around or not. That does look like something that I might have seen when cleaning out my mom n dad's place after my mom died. I wouldn't have known what it was lol. I do have a tap and die set. Now I have to go on a scavenger hunt for a thread chaser.

KenR 955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thread Chasers
The attached picture shows from left:
a hollow bicycle axle, two modified axles made to be a tool (a thread chaser) to restore boogered threads , a tap, a die, a commercial thread chaser die, a commercial thread chaser tap, and two thread files.

Attachments

• 0510230727c.jpg
    0510230727c.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 9