Rev and RPM Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCARTER7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 1500 Laramie with 27k. I just noticed when I rev the motor in park the RPM seem to take a long time to drop back down. When they do drop down they drop pretty low, low enough to dim the headlights as night a bit and get a quick flicker. Any suggestions? Thank you all for your time.

-Joe

ramraider925

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How long does it take to drop Down? And do you have any upgrades? Intake?

OP
OP
JCARTER7

JCARTER7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How long does it take to drop Down? And do you have any upgrades? Intake?

No upgrades at all currently. It seems to take about 4 secs to drop and then when it's drops keeps dropping till about 200 rmp and you hear the truck die down and everything dims for a quick sec then goes back to normal idle.

ramraider925

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No upgrades at all currently. It seems to take about 4 secs to drop and then when it's drops keeps dropping till about 200 rmp and you hear the truck die down and everything dims for a quick sec then goes back to normal idle.
Slowly coming down from a rev is normal on new cars and trucks. They do that for emission purposes. A lot of people hate it. But for the dimming lights could be a bad battery? Check connections going to the alternator make sure their not loose. I've heard a programmer helps the revs though. Hope this helped!

Kelli25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going from older model vehicles to these newer models KILLED me with that slow dropping RPM thing. Its literally my least favorite thing about newer vehicles. But weird that it drops too low. You have anything pulling on the alternator? I know you said no upgrades, but not sure if you were referring to your engine or the truck overall. Maybe an upgraded sound system?