RHR radio upgrade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampleswow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey dudes,
So I finally found a RHR radio to install in my 06 ram using the lock pick tool and I have it successfully running with a few bugs I was hoping for help with,

1. The gps is showing 0 satellites and I have the wire connected in the back properly yellow to yellow, white to white, I know these radios uses the XM antenna to locate satellites but mine is not working so well, any ideas why?

2. Trying to update the radio using USB formatted to FAT32 pre requirements on mygigdisk.com but, whenever I put the USB into the radio it says it's not a format it can read.

Any help greatly appreciated THANK YOU GUYS!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I do know that all Chrysler radios until 2009 were
Low Speed Can Bus radios

In 2009 the Ram trucks & 2 Jeep models switched to HIGH SPEED Can Bus radios

My 2009 Ram had a AM/FM antenna on the right front fender
It also had a Sirius PUCK style antenna on the roof
It had a 3rd antenna just above the RER 730N radio, but under the dashboard, that was the GPS Antenna for the Navigation

i could not find Chrysler's installation, so this will have to do

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
RHR also came in Low & High Speed

OP
OP
Sampleswow

Sampleswow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
While I appreciate your response, none of your responses seem to answer my two questions, as I stated above the radio is installed and working minus the two bugs I seem to be having with the gps and updating.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
What antenna are you using, is it your factory one, or did you replace it with a dual purpose? For the RHR, they use one antenna for both. If you are using the factory one from yours, it will do XM only. I replaced my roof mounted puck with one from a 2011, that's the year they changed it on the Rams.

For the USB, you can try formatting it with exFat, I think I also remember someone mentioning to put a small .jpg file on the stick as well, but no idea if that would work.

Later2u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there an option to format the USB using the radio?

OP
OP
Sampleswow

Sampleswow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What antenna are you using, is it your factory one, or did you replace it with a dual purpose? For the RHR, they use one antenna for both. If you are using the factory one from yours, it will do XM only. I replaced my roof mounted puck with one from a 2011, that's the year they changed it on the Rams.

For the USB, you can try formatting it with exFat, I think I also remember someone mentioning to put a small .jpg file on the stick as well, but no idea if that would work.
I totally didn't know that thank you very much I wonder if I can just replace the puck or do I have to replace all the cable, also do you think I could get the puck on eBay?

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I just replaced the puck, and I did get it off ebay, the part # was 05064908AA

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Thanks for the part number, can you give me a quick swapping instructions??

Not sure where yours is located, on my 2010, it was right above the pass side rear seat. I don't remember if I had to take any trim off, bit I pulled the headliner down enough to use a 1/4" drive 10mm swivel socket and long extension to reach it. Used the same cable from the antenna to the radio, didn't need to change that.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When I did this in my cars, I found a small mag base puck sat antenna and placed it as high and as far into the metal dash structure as I could get it and always had excellent sat signal and it never moved.

OP
OP
Sampleswow

Sampleswow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure where yours is located, on my 2010, it was right above the pass side rear seat. I don't remember if I had to take any trim off, bit I pulled the headliner down enough to use a 1/4" drive 10mm swivel socket and long extension to reach it. Used the same cable from the antenna to the radio, didn't need to change that.
mine is dead center the rear of the cab

OP
OP
Sampleswow

Sampleswow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay I got the new puck installed, one last final issue I need help with, when I try to Bluetooth stream music I get NO sounds at all, what would cause that issue?

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
My first suspicion would be a communication issue thru the lockpick, maybe reach out to coastaltech and get their thoughts?