Roof leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

msa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I had maps stored under the rear seat of my 2011 Ram crew cab - I went to get one and it is wet - there is water dripping from the back of the head liner - the rear window is a slider - yes it was closed - it appears there is rain water leaking in - anyone else having any issues with leaking roof of window ?

012RAMbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pretty common issue I have seen a bunch of guys talk about. The 3rd brake light leaking is probably your issue. Might take it to the dealer, or try sealing around the outside edge with some silicone yourself. I believe that's all they do about it if you take it to them anyways.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gotta remove, clean up, and reseal the third brake light. The dealer should do it if still under warrantee.

If I had to do it, I wouldn't bother with silicone. Based on my 30 years of boating experience, I would seal it with butyl tape and be done with it.

tjones524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just took some Clear Silicone and put a bead around the gasket itself, and stuck it on and screwed it in, you can see the bead all the way around, nice and sealed.

I changed bulbs, did it as a precaution had no leaks previously.

Dbracela

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine leaked through the upper left corner of the back glass.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I just took some Clear Silicone and put a bead around the gasket itself, and stuck it on and screwed it in, you can see the bead all the way around, nice and sealed.

I changed bulbs, did it as a precaution had no leaks previously.

Did the same.

Pissed me the first time I noticed. Wife was in the back with the baby and went through a nasty rain storm. My wife was uuuhhhhh there is water coming inside your truck.. . I was like WHAT!!!!?

mattmaxx877

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Diesel
I had that happen in my 3rd gen Dodge. I ended up taking the brake light out, cleaning around the seal, cleaning around the body where the brake light goes, and then putting some light sealeant around the rubber seal of the brake light and that seemed to do the trick.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Butyl tape = magic

Investigate it before you open the next sloppy tube of silicone and waste what you don't use.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used the black gasket maker stuff that glass guys use when they install windshields. Works perfect. Got it at Auto Zone for like $15 and it comes in a roll.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes. That's butyl. Easy to take apart when you need to also. It comes in different sizes, shapes, and colors (mainly black or white). You can find it for much cheaper if you search online for it.
Great stuff.

butyl tape - Google Search

Jonthefireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4X4
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just a little note about my roof leak experience. On my '09 1500, I developed the "water leak" almost immediately. Took it back in several times and got the same response everyone got "third brake light". Well, that was NOT the case. After several trips to service, with no solution, I got frustrated and took the matter into my own hands.

The bulk of my water woes came from the driver side grab handle on the A pillar. I literally had water falling out of the bottom screw hole every time it rained. So I took 100% silicone and literally sealed my third brake light. This didn't work.

I went a step further and "sealed" the XM antenna on the rear of the cab, this too did not work.

I had the cab sealing trim replaced with brand new trim. Nope. I went a step further and sealed the trim with silicone on top of the new trim. NOPE.

I thought the windshield might not have been properly set at the factory, so I had it replaced entirely from a windshield company. I watched the guy seal the windshield, he didn't miss a spot. I was convinced this would solve the issue. NOT!

Long story short, the only solution I ever came up with was to take clear silicone and literally run a bead down the entire roof line where the windshield met. After I did this, I never had another issue. Granted, you will need to keep the truck clean or the silicone will eventually look like ****, but at least you don't have water falling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reyzapien88