Rotary Shifter Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AnglinJeff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6-Liter V6 24-Valve VVT E
My 2016 Ram 1500 only has 46k miles on it. The shifter module on the dash lights up all gears at once and will not allow me to shift out of park. Sometimes the transmission will instantly light up hot and the fans on the cooler turn on only to then suddenly lights go out on the shifter module and the transmission instantly reads a normal cold temperature. It drives normal for a while but then suddenly same thing all over again. What is going on? NO ERROR CODES OR MESSAGES.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Couple questions: How long has this been going on? Also, when you say it 'drives normal for a while' ..how long is that? Minutes, or days? Just trying to get a sense how intermittent it is.

If it were my truck, I would start by checking the battery (load test), cable connections (clean/good?), and ensure the grounds are good. Then I would wigggle/reseat the fuses. inspect/wiggle wires & connectors to the tranny. Inspect the wires under the hood for any animal chewage, etc.

Autozone/OReilly's can do a load test, and you should have them scan for trouble-codes while you're there. You might ask them to navigate (within their scan tool) to the transmission section and see if they happen to find anything there in codes. Let us know what they find for codes.

Also do a google search by typing in the description of the problem ...just to see...