Rotary Shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Thinking about buying a 1500 Classic. Love everything about the truck--except the rotary shifter. Drove me crazy on the test drive.

Did it bother anyone else when you bought yours? How do you feel about it now?

It makes me nervous on my Chrysler 300, not as much as on my 2013 RAM, as she has a column shifter. On my (already ordered) 2020 Limited, i’m scared i’m gonna hate the shifter because i’m not used to it.

Sent from my Blue Onyx RAM 1500

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It makes me nervous on my Chrysler 300, not as much as on my 2013 RAM, as she has a column shifter. On my (already ordered) 2020 Limited, i’m scared i’m gonna hate the shifter because i’m not used to it.

Don't worry about it. After the first several times putting it in gear you don't even think about it any more. You're going to love your new truck. I'm still excited when I climb into mine.

Red

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thinking about buying a 1500 Classic. Love everything about the truck--except the rotary shifter. Drove me crazy on the test drive.

minor irritant.
I hate it just because it is not traditional.
Nothing wrong with it per se. It's gonna break or not break no more than a column shift would. It just seems kinda "***" tho. (in the old school colloquial definition of the word, don't ban me)

But I don't let that bother me, after all, I am told every day by everyone around me and by employers, in everything I watch, listen to, or read, that all kinds of non-traditional things should be liked by me - new things everyday.
Or else I'm a xenophobe racist patriarch oppressor bubble-living deplorable islamaphobe privileged capitalist pig.

So the circle shifter aint a big deal.

(oh, i guess i gotta update my profile - 2020 laramie now, not the old 2005 anymore...)

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When I first bought mine I kept reaching for the column shifter. Now when I drive my wifes vehicle I reach for the Knob on the dash. I like the knob because on the earlier model 1500 if you pulled the lever into 1st gear it interfered with my leg it was so low. Makes me think back to the Mopars in the 60's with the button shifter which I'm sure only the senior members will recall. I had a 62 Dodge and was used to the buttons and when I bought my 68 Roadrunner the column shifter was hard to get used to.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Nope, like it just fine. Unless you just decide you are not going to like it, you';ll not even notice after a few days.

eddie046

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It took me a day or so to get used to it. I like it actually.

Ken Dillinger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After a week, you won't even think about it. You'll reach over and flick it into drive without hesitation. It will literally be 1 second out of your drive time regardless of shifter type. There are much bigger things to obsess about, like how not to spend a fortune in mods and upgrades.

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm obviously the outlier here, but I can't stand it! Oddly enough, it didn't bother me during the test drive. But once I got the truck home and started driving it daily, I began to hate it ... and I still do after 2 1/2 years. With the AC and radio controls positioned nearby, there are just too many round knobs too close together for my liking. Instead of shifting into Drive, I've blasted myself with cold air. Instead of shifting into Park or Reverse, I've turned the radio down. I've never once done that in the previous 35 years that I've owned GMC, Ford, and Ram pickups equipped with column shifters.

Please don't misunderstand, I don't dislike the having the shifter on the dash, I just wish the knob wasn't round. If the knob absolutely must be round, then it should be located at least three miles away from all the other round knobs on the dash! :p

Dalton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 TD
I had a 19 1500 and it took me a full year to really get used to it and still occasionally reach for a shift lever. Not a deal breaker but never did like it.Just traded it in for a 2500 and it is good to have the lever again.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Love it, frees up room to change AC, radio and not have column in the way

grumpyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't like it for the fact that when you are backing a trailer and have to make multiple moves it takes longer , the only way to get the gearshift is pay 9000 more and get the cummins.

JoeMiner67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
57.L
I have gotten used to it after six months, but what I have not gotten used to is the need to step on the brake to change gears!!! In normal operation, I automatically step on the brake to put it in gear or put it in park, etc. HOWEVER, at the car wash when I get to the end of the wash and the light says it is time to go, the truck is still slowly rolling. I have to hit the brake to drop it into drive and pull out. The "children" they hire to guide you into the wash line seem to think it is funny to line you up nose to tail. I suspect they are hoping for a small bumper bump at the end if they get you close enough together. Annoys me every time.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You get used to it. Biggest thing I did was change the knob so it felt more like a gear shifter and not like the ac or volume knob. Lol. I like it now because it’s “cleaner” looking than the shift lever on the column. https://www.ajtdesign-llc.com/online-store/2013-2018-c42622041

I'm obviously the outlier here, but I can't stand it! Oddly enough, it didn't bother me during the test drive. But once I got the truck home and started driving it daily, I began to hate it ... and I still do after 2 1/2 years. With the AC and radio controls positioned nearby, there are just too many round knobs too close together for my liking. Instead of shifting into Drive, I've blasted myself with cold air. Instead of shifting into Park or Reverse, I've turned the radio down. I've never once done that in the previous 35 years that I've owned GMC, Ford, and Ram pickups equipped with column shifters.

Please don't misunderstand, I don't dislike the having the shifter on the dash, I just wish the knob wasn't round. If the knob absolutely must be round, then it should be located at least three miles away from all the other round knobs on the dash! :p

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Was a little odd for the first few days, but now I do not even think about it. Love having all that space in my console where the shifter used to be! Now, when I get in my wife's suv, I reach for the shifter knob instead of the gear shift. Not bad at all.

Although I will say that trying to get it into neutral when the truck is not running is a pain in the rear. No idea why this is such a hassle, but read your manual on how to do it BEFORE you get into a situation where you need to push the truck, etc. without it running.