Routing wiring header to mirror 2014 1500 Express

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nickster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know some of you guys have done this and need some input. I'm trying to route an oem wiring header for oem manual mirror with microphone. I wasn't expecting existing wiring where I need to plug in all the straps for new header. It looks like the existing wiring has something to do with air bags over windows. Should I strap to existing wiring or the other way around.

My other issue is this is a standard cab and don't seem to have enough movement in headliner to get my hands in there. Do I need to take headliner out? I've remove "A" pillar cover passenger side, both sun visors, upper and lower glove boxes so far. I can see the connector for my header just below hvac vent passenger side.

Any help would be appreciated. I've attached a photo of existing wire where I need to run new wiring header. Thanks.

Attachments

• rwh small.jpg
    rwh small.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 191

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
I had holes going up behind the pass A pillar which the connectors snapped into and just pushed it up with my fingers once I reached the headliner. Didn't clip it in at all and no rattling or sounds. Also, found out that the auto dimming DOES work but can't turn it off because there is no option on the screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

nickster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had holes going up behind the pass A pillar which the connectors snapped into and just pushed it up with my fingers once I reached the headliner. Didn't clip it in at all and no rattling or sounds. Also, found out that the auto dimming DOES work but can't turn it off because there is no option on the screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks CuylerTech, I found out what the existing wire is. I's the satellite antenna wire. I will try the same thing you did. Hope it doesn't rattle.

OP
OP
N

nickster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The uconnect 3.0 to 5.0 upgrade is finally finished. I routed the wiring header to the oem mirror with microphone and installed the evic switch with v/r and phone buttons on the steering wheel. While I had the glove box out I went ahead and installed the oem footwell lighting on passenger side. Now I have my Note 3 paired up and everything working like it should. I even got the contact list to show up in the 5.0 which I thought might be a problem. The voice recognition doesn't like my southern accent but will work when I try to talk like someone in the Midwest.

I want to thank all who have helped me on these threads and two guys who went out of their way and that is cptwing and CuylerTech. If I can help anyone that is thinking about doing this I would be glad to. One thing I wasn't expecting was when I tried to remove the steering wheel bezel for swapping the evic switch the two torx screws were so tight I had to go buy a size 20 torx socket at Advance Auto to get it done. Also when you release the last spring on the airbag make sure you have one hand on it or it will pop out into your lap which was somewhat a nervous moment for me. Thanks again.

jackblackjeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Do you have the part numbers for the mirror and wiring harness? Also where does the other (non-mirror) end of the harness plug into?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have the part numbers for the mirror and wiring harness? Also where does the other (non-mirror) end of the harness plug into?
The P/N S you need can be found pretty easy , within the audio & electronics forums , sorry I don't have it right now .
You could call the parts dept @ your local dealer and they can give you the P/N too ! Then go to car-parts.com and get it for 1/3 the price . The header harness is only $26 @ the dealer , may as well get it there .
As for where the other end of the mirrior harness go : it's located directly behind the passengers air vent and is easily accessible no tools required , just remove your lower glove box hands only , then reach up with your left hand and release lock tab and push outward on the AC vent .

jackblackjeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The P/N S you need can be found pretty easy , within the audio & electronics forums , sorry I don't have it right now .
You could call the parts dept @ your local dealer and they can give you the P/N too ! Then go to car-parts.com and get it for 1/3 the price . The header harness is only $26 @ the dealer , may as well get it there .
As for where the other end of the mirrior harness go : it's located directly behind the passengers air vent and is easily accessible no tools required , just remove your lower glove box hands only , then reach up with your left hand and release lock tab and push outward on the AC vent .

Thanks, I did find the part number from anothe thread on here and ordered from allmoparparts.com. Still trying to locate a mirror, have emails out to several junkyards from car-part.com but not getting any responses and no results on the schram website.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@jackblackjeet , How did everything turn out for ya ?

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
13 14 RAM Rear View Rearview Mirror | eBay

Found this one, but not sure if it'll work with the harness I ordered.

It should but it does not look like they are including the 2 piece trim covers, wonder why maybe the broke them? You can buy those but they will run you another 30 or 40 bucks new. If it were me I would only buy it if it included the trim pieces but that is me. I know they are harder to find now a days.

If you do buy it, and then have to order the trim pieces make sure you get the right ones, thought they look the same not all mirror use the same trim pieces. For instance the smart beam and non smart beam mirror trim pieces are not interchangeable, they snap on differently.

jackblackjeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It should but it does not look like they are including the 2 piece trim covers, wonder why maybe the broke them? You can buy those but they will run you another 30 or 40 bucks new. If it were me I would only buy it if it included the trim pieces but that is me. I know they are harder to find now a days.

If you do buy it, and then have to order the trim pieces make sure you get the right ones, thought they look the same not all mirror use the same trim pieces. For instance the smart beam and non smart beam mirror trim pieces are not interchangeable, they snap on differently.

I didn't buy this one, but did buy a similar one for $50. I ordered trim pieces based on part numbers in a different thread, so I may have the wrong ones coming.

jackblackjeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@jackblackjeet , How did everything turn out for ya ?

Still waiting on parts to come in. I have harness in hand, and mirror is on truck for delivery today. Allmoparparts confirmed my order but hasn't sent shipping info for the trim pieces yet.

jackblackjeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Got the mirror and harness installed without (much) incident. Everything is working as expected. Followed CptWings step by step instructions from the RA1 to RA2 thread and that helped a ton. The only mishap I had were that the mirror still had a good amount of windshield and the windshield mount to it, so I spent some time with a hammer and vice grips getting that apart; and I think I may have stripped the hole for one of the driver's sun visor mount screws, and the screw fell out while driving and disappeared under the center console area. So i'll be having fun getting a replacement and trying to rethread or just coating with locktite and hoping I don't have to pull that again in the future.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So Bluetooth is working for hands free talk & text and music streaming?
Can't remember : did you install the VR/Phone button yet ? If not all ya gotta do is push the Hard phone button on the radio . Nice thing about the phone button on the steering wheel is when pushed the radio goes straight into voice interactive command mode . I think this is a must have even with the RA2 !

jackblackjeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So Bluetooth is working for hands free talk & text and music streaming?
Can't remember : did you install the VR/Phone button yet ? If not all ya gotta do is push the Hard phone button on the radio . Nice thing about the phone button on the steering wheel is when pushed the radio goes straight into voice interactive command mode . I think this is a must have even with the RA2 !

Bluetooth works for hands free calls (no text since iPhone). Music streaming works well.

I have not installed the VR/Phone button yet, but yeah the touchscreen works well.

jackblackjeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Tailgate cam time?

Haha, that is EXACTLY the next thing on my list. I am thinking about letting the dealership install that one for me since they already want to charge me an hour just to program the code.

I am also planning on getting the BAK revolver X2 tonneau cover pretty soon.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you installed the RA2 radio , audio controls and the mirror with microphones YOU CAN AND SHOULD install the back up camera yourself ! About $250.00 for the kit and find a new dealer to flash XAC code for free or less than your dealer , explain to them it only takes them 10 minutes!

The OEM Backup Camera add on kit P/N 82214240 for your radio display is a simple install ! I installed mine , I rate it a 3-4 out of ten on dificulty . Solder or splice two wires , swap out your tailgate handle , tie-wrap the long harness to an existing harness and plug N play three other short harn
esses and your done ! You can get the code flashed befor or after the install doesn't matter once it's in it's in .
You should definitely do this yourself !
Make a deal with a dealer , tell them you will buy the kit from them if they will flash XAC for free .
Any Qs you would have during the install can be easily answered here by several people that have already installed this kit to include myself .

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For the back up cam kit install go to Audio & electronics thread , 4th Gen scroll down and find cptwing s post for Installing OEM Backup Camera . VERY important , go to POST # 10 , Mpgrimm2 put in a lot of time putting post 10 together .
I had trouble with not having the Active Grid Lines displayed on my RA2 screen , I did extensive troubleshooting and it ended up just being an old software in my radio . You do not have to read the 400 plus post , just Mpgrimm2 s post # 10 . And anything cptwing has to say , that guy is on time when it comes to 4th Gen truck electronic upgrades!

If you do this post up your progress and any questions you may have there , several people are monitoring that thread daily just to help guys out . Give it a try you'll be glad you did ! !

This is captwing post .

4ef127adb1751ce2b539c0d74448e191.jpg

Last edited: