Royal Purple in garage killing me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

81SHOVELHEAD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
:Good or Bad:

Got that good deal @Amazon 12 quarts & 2 free filters .
2012 RAM 2500 5.7 4X4 crew cab now has 2500 miles .
Should i wait until oil change alert comes up or should i just bite the bullet & go ahead and introduce that Hemi to some Royal Purple?
If i do the change would i be able to do the accelerator trick & reset the oil change interval notice or will i need to wait until alert falshes & then reset it?
Thanks in advance
Mike D.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I pay 0 attention to the indicator. I go off mileage.
From what I can tell, so does the indicator.

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'd wait and go by the manual. Staying under what it recommends and where you are comfortable at.

The hemi manual says 8k. I did 6k with mobil 1 and am going to test mine at 6k with RP and go from there.

unsure for the cummins. giving the cost and amount of oil needed for a diesel. I'd want to hold off.. lol

Oil isn't something I've researched a lot. I did 5k change intervals in my f250 with rotella t6 though

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
During break in I would do a quick change with conventional oil, and go another 2k miles and then switch. When an engine breaks in you have more wear metals and you might want to clear all that out of your engine before using synthetic and going into a longer oil change interval. Relax, your RP isn't going anywhere, it will be there for you.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'd do best to do what you feel comfortable with. You're going to get a lot of different opinions here.
After much reading it seemed the engines are largely broken in when almost new these days, so I went right from the break-in oil to Amsoil XL synthetic at 5,000km. I change our vehicles oil every 5,000km religiously. Its easy to see when changes are due based on odo readings and its cheap piece of mind.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you haven't changed it yet, I would. I changed mine at 1700: ran dino for about another 3K, and I'm about ready to change it again. Once broke in, I've been changing all my vehicles based on time. 6 months always comes before the mileage or OLM for me. Manual says to change by whatever comes first.

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
:Good or Bad:

Got that good deal @Amazon 12 quarts & 2 free filters .
2012 RAM 2500 5.7 4X4 crew cab now has 2500 miles .
Should i wait until oil change alert comes up or should i just bite the bullet & go ahead and introduce that Hemi to some Royal Purple?
If i do the change would i be able to do the accelerator trick & reset the oil change interval notice or will i need to wait until alert falshes & then reset it?
Thanks in advance
Mike D.
Link?

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
2500 miles and you haven't changed the oil once?

I am the guy that changes his oil RIGHT AWAY. I get all that manufacturing crap out of my engine within the first 150 miles or so. I run dino for 5-6000 miles though. I like to make sure everything is well broken in.

Chris

Rayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I usually hit the 6 months mark first before I get anywhere near 5,000 km's. I'm due for an oil change in 8 days according to my records and I havent even driven 3000 kms in the last 6 months. My oil is usually pretty dark after 6 months so I change it but am I being too aggressive in my oil change intervals? Is time just as important as km's driven in regards to oil life expectancy?

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO you can never be aggresive with oil changes. Temp, time, millage all play huge factors in oil life and I'd rather have good oil in, its cheap insurance.

Doc Zoom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put some more miles on it to break in the engine better as Royal Purple will be a detriment to engine break in.