RP 20-820 filters in the Calgary area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Any interest in the Fram Ultra Synthetic? That is the XG Series, but I don't know the number. The OEM small size is XG10060.

Maybe that can be found locally?

That would be the FRAM XG2. That filter is supposed to be another good alternative, is still readily available and popular before the FRAM Synthetic Endurance FE2.The FRAM Synthetic Endurance FE2 is almost identical to the Royal Purple 20-820/Amsoil EA0 11.

IMO, the Oil filter thread has good comments and reference of the FRAM XG2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The XG2 has been on my mind,but i'm no fan of Fram filters. I had one cost me an engine years ago,and i've never used another fram filter since then.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
The XG2 has been on my mind,but i'm no fan of Fram filters. I had one cost me an engine years ago,and i've never used another fram filter since then.

I wouldn't hesitate using an FRAM Synthetic Endurance FE2 if the Royal Purple 20-820 goes hiatus again.

I've cut both of them open(brand new out of the box)for my personal viewing and the results were both identical, with the exception of the amount of holes in the base plates:

Royal Purple 20-820 has eight and the FRAM Synthetic Endurance FE2 has six.

I posted pics over on the Oil Filter thread awhile back of the the two FRAM oil filters(XG2/FE2) and the RP 20-820.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I wouldn't hesitate using an FRAM Synthetic Endurance FE2 if the Royal Purple 20-820 goes hiatus again.

I've cut both of them open(brand new out of the box)for my personal viewing and the results were both identical, with the exception of the amount of holes in the base plates:

Royal Purple 20-820 has eight and the FRAM Synthetic Endurance FE2 has six.

I posted pics over on the Oil Filter thread awhile back of the the two FRAM oil filters(XG2/FE2) and the RP 20-820.
I haven't been able to find the FE2 in Canada,as our Wally Worlds up here don't seem to be stocking it. I'd definitely give the FE2 a try but it's even harder to get then the 20-820 is

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Finally got over the sticker shock,and ordered 10 of the 20-820's from RP Direct. With shipping it comes in at roughly $250 Canuck. $62 bucks USD for shipping through FedEx ground,that was my sticking point,but it looks like that's all they offer as far as shipping goes.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I gave up on Royal Purple filters years ago. They were hard to find in town then.

I am still using Fram Ultra's in both Jeeps and my Ram. I can get the XG2's at Canadian Tire but I had to order the filters for both Jeeps online.

I wish the Fram Endurance would start showing up on shelves but I have yet to see a single one of them.

I am starting to wonder if Canada will ever see any of them.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Finally got over the sticker shock,and ordered 10 of the 20-820's from RP Direct. With shipping it comes in at roughly $250 Canuck. $62 bucks USD for shipping through FedEx ground,that was my sticking point,but it looks like that's all they offer as far as shipping goes.
Brother, I hear you!
However, it is the absolute best option we Canucks have when it comes to a top tier oil filter option that we can get, and one that delivers in spades!

Buy once, Cry once!!!

I ate that bullet, too! Expensive, Yes, Worth It, Yes!!!

Put some top grade silicone grease on the oil filter gaskets and store them indoors and in a climate controlled environment, too.

But, you know this already ;)

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I gave up on Royal Purple filters years ago. They were hard to find in town then.

I am still using Fram Ultra's in both Jeeps and my Ram. I can get the XG2's at Canadian Tire but I had to order the filters for both Jeeps online.

I wish the Fram Endurance would start showing up on shelves but I have yet to see a single one of them.

I am starting to wonder if Canada will ever see any of them.
Mopac and JB's both used to carry the 20-820 Royal Purple filters,but not anymore. I couldn't even find a way to get the Fram FE2 into Canada online,so i ended up sucking it up and paying FedEx's stupid shipping costs,and went through RP Direct.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Brother, I hear you!
However, it is the absolute best option we Canucks have when it comes to a top tier oil filter option that we can get, and one that delivers in spades!

Buy once, Cry once!!!

I ate that bullet, too! Expensive, Yes, Worth It, Yes!!!

Put some top grade silicone grease on the oil filter gaskets and store them indoors and in a climate controlled environment, too.

But, you know this already ;)
I kick my rear for not buying more of the 20-820's when Mopac in Calgary was selling them for 17 bucks,but i didn't think they'd drop them. JB's in Edmonton used to supply the RP filters on Canuck Amazon,but they've even dropped them to. I asked my buddy at Mopac why they quit carrying them,and he said it was a management decision in BC,but he said he wouldn't be surprised if it had alot to do with Royal Purple themselves,and the fact they've made it difficult for wholesalers to buy their filters.I kind of wonder if it wasn't done,to force everybody to go directly to Royal Purple Direct,but that doesn't seem like a wise business decision to me,and is only a guess on my part.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I kick my rear for not buying more of the 20-820's when Mopac in Calgary was selling them for 17 bucks,but i didn't think they'd drop them. JB's in Edmonton used to supply the RP filters on Canuck Amazon,but they've even dropped them to. I asked my buddy at Mopac why they quit carrying them,and he said it was a management decision in BC,but he said he wouldn't be surprised if it had alot to do with Royal Purple themselves,and the fact they've made it difficult for wholesalers to buy their filters.I kind of wonder if it wasn't done,to force everybody to go directly to Royal Purple Direct,but that doesn't seem like a wise business decision to me,and is only a guess on my part.
Agreed, one would think that as a manufacturer you'd want as many places possible selling your product.

Here in Ontario, JRP (Johnston Research & Performance) dropped them a long while back as it was too difficult to work with them. These guys are one of the top five largest performance parts wholesalers in North America, too, so when they drop a line like RP there's a reason.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
At least we still have RP Direct to get our 20-820 oil filters from for what is considered a decent price currently.

I just got the oil changed today on my new Ram at 3500KM's as I wasn't going to push it further on the factory oil ;)

Now I'm down to 12 x RP 20-820 oil filters and 13 x gallons of HPL SC 0W30 oil.... I'm good for a little while... 6 oil changes anyways ;)

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was in Tiger Auto , in Saskatoon last fall and I am sure I seen Royal purple filters on the self.
But I have been wrong 1 or 2 times , she tells me.
I just googled them on my phone, I see oil, google took me to amazon at $58.oo/ filter delivered.WTH.
There are a couple Saskatoon guys here lurking. I may be up soon.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That would be the FRAM XG2. That filter is supposed to be another good alternative, is still readily available and popular before the FRAM Synthetic Endurance FE2.The FRAM Synthetic Endurance FE2 is almost identical to the Royal Purple 20-820/Amsoil EA0 11.

IMO, the Oil filter thread has good comments and reference of the FRAM XG2.

Wasn't that xG2 filter on a chart burla supplied many posts ago that was even slightly better than the RP on the specs?..
I went with that knowledge and put that on mine 2-3 changes now...way cheaper too at wally world than RP.like $7 at the time I got them...still have 2 left...I also couldn't find RP back then.
Will look Into this Fe2 model.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Wasn't that xG2 filter on a chart burla supplied many posts ago that was even slightly better than the RP on the specs?..
I went with that knowledge and put that on mine 2-3 changes now...way cheaper too at wally world than RP.like $7 at the time I got them...still have 2 left...I also couldn't find RP back then.
Will look Into this Fe2 model.

I haven't backtracked the Oil filter thread or post for the question you asked about.

When the Royal Purple 20-820 went hiatus mode ~last year or so ago folks were searching for an alternative oil filter and at the time the FRAM XG2 came about being about the same as the RP 20-820 and was less amount in price.

Now, with FRAM's new FE2 Synthetic Endurance oil filter, imo, is of the same exact quality of the Royal Purple 20-820 and Amsoil AEO11 with only the slight difference on the base plates of the amount of "holes" ... eight on the RP and six on both FRAM XG2/FE2 and the Amsoil AEO11.

I've opened up all four of these filters for my own viewing and was amazed with the quality comparison(s) to the Royal Purple 20-820/Amsoil AEO11 ... materials, and internal components virtually the same.

Again, I wouldn't hesitate to use either of those two FRAM oil filters should, if and when the Royal Purple oil filter "checks out of school early" again.

The lower price is a bonus too.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would be careful how you store filters, any filters in the cold. The rp will store well in heat, but cold is an unknown. Store them next to your wife's shoes in the closet you will be good. There is a pre curser to an issue, if there is rust showing on the cap, or caps if you have a lot stored, it is worth a look.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would be careful how you store filters, any filters in the cold. The rp will store well in heat, but cold is an unknown. Store them next to your wife's shoes in the closet you will be good. There is a pre curser to an issue, if there is rust showing on the cap, or caps if you have a lot stored, it is worth a look.

Each of mine is in it's own 1-gallon size ZipLock Freezer bag with
desiccant.
These things are too valuable to leave unprotected.