Running board loose due to rusted frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
0A799597-832D-442A-B705-90C54D838534.jpeg
Hello all,
This is my first question to this forum. I just bought this truck today. I though the running board was just loose, but looking underneat, the frame where it was bolted on is rusted. What is this frame part called? And can it be replaced? any advise on best option to fix this is appreciated.
Ti

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
This subforum is for the 5th Generation, 2019 to present.
Post your question on the proper forum, it may help you to get
some advice.
That being said, you should have inspected the truck better you have
some serious rust problems....you should have passed on this one.
You may have trouble passing a safety DOT check in the future...

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not a hard job, just time consuming and if you don’t weld, take it to some one that does. Straight forward cutting the rust out and cutting a 12-14gauge steel plate to fit, then weld it in.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep, the running board needs to be removed and all that rust needs to be cut out, as explained above. ASAP. Because that open hole is going to let more salty snow get in there and quickly rot out the rest of your trucks rocker. Check the other side too.

I would consider changing how/where the running board mount bracket hooks up. The reason the inner rocker panel is rusted out like it is ...is because the running board mount holds/harbors salty ice and snow. I would recommend cutting off the bracket which swoops *up* ..cut it off and extend metal to the frame, and weld directly to the truck frame. The frame is a lot sturdier and heavier and your running boards won't flex like they used to.

Than get some decent-sized mud flaps behind your front wheels to help keep salty snow from being thrown up under the cab.

If you can't get at it before winter, at LEAST clean around the hole ...and cover the hole with some gorilla tape till spring. Keep salty crud from getting into your rocker panel this winter. And squirt some oil in there too if you get a chance. Otherwise those rocker panels are goiing to disintegrate rapidly.