Running board mounts, Crew = Quad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GSSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hi Gang,

I would like to get some Ionic Factory Style running boards on my 2016 QC but they don't sell one for this particular application, only the standard cab and Crew. So, I would like to get the Crew Cab brackets and use the running boards for another application that is similar in length, such as a Tacoma 4 door or F150 Supercab. I know there are other running boards out there, but none that I can find that give the protection I am looking for without bolting to the pinch weld.

In Minnesota, its all about rust mitigation, so I need something that keeps the crud off the doors and rockers. And I don't want to drill through the pinch weld-that's an invitation for rust.

So, the question is: will brackets for a Crew Cab fit a Quad Cab? In other words, is the inside of the rocker the same, just shorter on the Quad Cab?

Thanks!

TatertotScott

The man, the myth, the legend, the one and only!
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The holes in the pinch weld were already there from the factory on my 17 crew cab, if that helps....

I used Tyger 3 tube step bars to mitigate the inherent wrakness of single plane connection point of the rocker panels, and these use the rocker and pinch weld holes....

Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

GSSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I think I have the holes in the pinch weld too. But once you put a bolt through them, they scratch and rust starts. The same boards on my 2016 2500 are awesome and don't attach to the pinch weld. I want the same for my 1500:waytogo:

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think I have the holes in the pinch weld too. But once you put a bolt through them, they scratch and rust starts. The same boards on my 2016 2500 are awesome and don't attach to the pinch weld. I want the same for my 1500:waytogo:
Depending on the bolt size, grommets might be useful? Or heavy coating over them once installed?

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Yep, pinch weld mounted steps are spongy and the factory holes "alone" are not designed to be the only step attach point. Like you, I do not want any bolts going thru the factory holes, as they will eventually rust. I only use frame mounted steps like Westin.

OP
OP
G

GSSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I found some F-150 boards that are the right length and will help keep the salt off the cab in the winter. I was able to use Ram 2500 mounts with a little trimming. They are way stronger than the 1500 mounts I have seen and don't attach to the pinch weld.:waytogo:

TatertotScott

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What do they attach to? The rocker panel? The body of the 2500 and 1500 are pretty mich identical, so unless it mounts to the frame itself, there pught to be little to no actual difference for a 3/4 ton set.....compared to what you may have vs. These, maybe.....but 1500 vs 2500 of comparable parts....doubtful.
I found some F-150 boards that are the right length and will help keep the salt off the cab in the winter. I was able to use Ram 2500 mounts with a little trimming. They are way stronger than the 1500 mounts I have seen and don't attach to the pinch weld.:waytogo:

valvestem

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've seen pics of mounts that use T-bars that go into existing frame holes for mounting.

OP
OP
G

GSSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What do they attach to? The rocker panel? The body of the 2500 and 1500 are pretty mich identical, so unless it mounts to the frame itself, there pught to be little to no actual difference for a 3/4 ton set.....compared to what you may have vs. These, maybe.....but 1500 vs 2500 of comparable parts....doubtful.

They are completely different. The 2500 uses an L bracket about 4" wide and attaches only yo

THey are completely different.