Running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monorchism

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry if it’s been discussed, but with the new power wagon incoming with giant tires I need running boards. With the lowest step down I can get as I am disabled retired and want to start to get into over landing with some modifications

cms1528

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Retractable running boards are great, you can get the extension so they lower or drop further down when they deploy. Check out AMP research.

Tinman454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was looking at a set of Aries they seem nice. And I don’t thing you will have as much trouble in the winter time as with the amp ones. I have them before and they are horrible in the winter time Froze up a lot.

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The regular tube style steps are great, unless you smack it on a rock. The new design has it mounted at the front and rear to the rivnuts under the body. In addition to that, they mount through the pinch weld at the bottom of the body. For everyday use, they are great. Much more stable than I would have expected. But, as soon as you go off road and hit something, they can get knocked out of place, or, in my case, rip the rivnuts out of the body. I ended up going with full sliders that I had made a little wider than normal and with a top plate so it can be used as a step. They are perfect for what I need.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I second the oem ones. Probably the cheapest aluminum boards you’ll find. The amp ones are nice and they will hold up through the winter as long as you maintain them or just don’t use them in the winter at all.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
The RBP Stealth Power Running boards will be back in stock in June, they have an extended drop version with 2 motors on each side, I have the regular drop on my 1500 but man believe me when I tell you that these steps are so much better than the AMP ones ...

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have the OEM power boards I ordered with the truck. They work just excellent and have a much lower step up than the fixed boards. Cuts the step up in half. They stow right up against the rockers, so well out of the way. It gets mega cold here, no issues using them in the Winter, just keep them clean and Lube the hinges. I wash my truck at least once sometimes twice a week to keep the salt and crud in check.

yunnust.jpg

eaY4Dn2.jpg

jarheadf23

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I have the NFab nerf Steps. I really like them but have not had them off road yet. Hopefully the clearance isn't too bad. Step1.jpg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have just been through more than a year of being off my feet, i have had to keep my feet elevated.
The down fall of this has caused me to gain 30 + pounds
I was 284 pounds with 77 year old knees. i don't have circulation in either leg. I also have severe breathing issues, ( COPD ) & some other issues.
I am not in a wheel chair yet, but i am handicapped.

I can't use a ladder, because of poor balance & i have trouble using anything like

1649747522786.png
because i can't push my toes under the main bar, because it is made for ppl that can stand on the balls of their feet.
If you place your left foot on the step so your whole foot is supported.
Now bring up your right foot & try to squeeze it past your left leg & place it on the sill of the door.
The OH **** handle is worthless, the door itself is also worthless, even with the window down. You can't grab the seat or the console between the seats.

I have learned to Park where the front bumper & the passenger door are down slope, where possible.
I am thinking about tying a rope from the passenger OH **** handle, that i can grab onto, so that i can pull myself in.

A step similar to the retractable AMP step might work better in my situation

1649750971658.png

1649751023079.png

Last edited:

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the OEM power boards I ordered with the truck. They work just excellent and have a much lower step up than the fixed boards. Cuts the step up in half. They stow right up against the rockers, so well out of the way. It gets mega cold here, no issues using them in the Winter, just keep them clean and Lube the hinges. I wash my truck at least once sometimes twice a week to keep the salt and crud in check.

yunnust.jpg

View attachment 490962
You cannot get oem power boards on a power wagon.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
yeah I mean basically they are amp boards or close but you can control them through your screen which is nice.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Can u install oems and have the dealer flash the radio to control them like u can on the Laramie and other 2500s

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
I have had 2 sets of amps. My last truck and now my pw. they work fine and I think they tuck a little further out of sight than the factory ones. I have found the install to suck. both sets hit the pinch weld really bad. The meat heads at amp have known about that problem since the 4th gen cab came out and they never fixed it. they just seem like pompous a-holes to me. I might give the rbp ones a shot next time.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Drivability through FCA will reimburse up to $1k dollars to modify the including running boards if owner is disabled.

“Please call
DriveAbility Program Headquarters
with any questions:

800-255-9877
Hotline Hours 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. EST Mon. - Fri.
www.fcausDriveAbility.com

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I have had 2 sets of amps. My last truck and now my pw. they work fine and I think they tuck a little further out of sight than the factory ones. I have found the install to suck. both sets hit the pinch weld really bad. The meat heads at amp have known about that problem since the 4th gen cab came out and they never fixed it. they just seem like pompous a-holes to me. I might give the rbp ones a shot next time.
I will never buy AMP steps especially now that I have the RBPs on my truck ... the RBPs just feel stronger, better fitment, easy install and a couple hundred dolllars cheaper as well ...

I recommend to whom ever wants power running boards to jump on them as soon as they come back in stock from RBP in June, they sold out of them so fast and it has taken them over a year to stock up again, I haven't had a single issue with my RBPs

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Can u install oems and have the dealer flash the radio to control them like u can on the Laramie and other 2500s

technically you can install oem power running boards on a pw. It’s a full piece by piece parts order as you will not find an oem kit. And then some home-made electrical harness work. And yes, it can then be controlled through uconnect. After all of his notes i decided not to try it. Start from the top and read this thread and you’ll have the full deal.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
technically you can install oem power running boards on a pw. It’s a full piece by piece parts order as you will not find an oem kit. And then some home-made electrical harness work. And yes, it can then be controlled through uconnect. After all of his notes i decided not to try it. Start from the top and read this thread and you’ll have the full deal.

Anything is possible when it comes to modding trucks, I just saw a 4th gen 1500 lifted with a very unique front end, it wasn't a Grumper from Fab Fours but something very similar, I wanted to take a picture of it but didn't have time ...

That link should help others who are willing to do the work ...cool $h!t !