Rust paranoia

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Basslicks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I searched around briefly, but what I came up with pointed more towards repairing rust more so than preventing it.

Long story short, I'm moving to Kentucky next summer and I'm taking my 100% rust-free 2001 Ram with me..... looking for suggestions or recommendations on what to do to keep it rust free (besides not moving to Kentucky).

Reactions: Mop

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Kentucky is BARELY a rust prone area. However, a couple suggestions are do not use off the shelf undercoating or anything like that. Something like Krown are the only thing I would suggest. Spray in frame rails, inside fenders, drain holes of rockers, cab mounts, etc. That and regular washes if they use salt in the area you're moving to.

OP
OP
Basslicks

Basslicks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Kentucky is BARELY a rust prone area. However, a couple suggestions are do not use off the shelf undercoating or anything like that. Something like Krown are the only thing I would suggest. Spray in frame rails, inside fenders, drain holes of rockers, cab mounts, etc. That and regular washes if they use salt in the area you're moving to.

They do. Moving to Dry Ridge. It's about 40 minutes south of Cincy. My dad just had to replace his brake lines 'cause they rotted out on him. I spotted the puddle of brake fluid under his truck when I was up there this past week.

Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like pretty much what I was thinking, just wasn't sure since I've never lived in the Rust belt for more than one winter.

Reactions: Mop

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Get it treated with Krown or Fluid Film. Both have web sites where you can locate an applicator.

-K

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like the others have mentioned, get it sprayed with some for oil type spray like Krown, Rustcheck, Fluidfilm or Corrosion Free.

I've tried them all and settled on Corrosion Free as my current "go to". I'm sure there will be an authorized dealer in Kentucky.

https://corrosionfree.com/find-a-dealer/

OP
OP
Basslicks

Basslicks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Here's an example of what NOT to do btw

Yeah I saw that video lol. I'm stayin' away from that junk.

Get it treated with Krown or Fluid Film. Both have web sites where you can locate an applicator.

-K

Like the others have mentioned, get it sprayed with some for oil type spray like Krown, Rustcheck, Fluidfilm or Corrosion Free.

I've tried them all and settled on Corrosion Free as my current "go to". I'm sure there will be an authorized dealer in Kentucky.

https://corrosionfree.com/find-a-dealer/

Thanks guys. I had heard of fluid film before, but wasn't sure if it was actually any good or not. I'll check out the others.