rust!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So my dad,(back in 04') bought a brandy new 2004 ram 2500 CTD 4x4 quad cab,its washed once a week, He lives in upstate ny. not near salt water like me. and about a year ago the paint above the right rear fender started to bubble. He has the dark blue color (forgot the name). any way he has 95k on the truck and the only warranty left is the 100k power train. About a month ago bolth sides started to bubble and chip. I told him to call the dealer, and he did. His argument to them was "i went into a dealer ship, with my sister and from the same salesman, purchased a brand new 48k truck and a brand new hemi durango, i refer ur dealer to 4 other people that buy from u guys, will you fix my paint.?" well long story short, the dealer pretty much said it aint the powertrain so go pack sand buddy. I tell him to call Dodge directly and they looked up his mopar filled vehicle history, tell him to get a quote, 2 new painted bed sides, 4500. Dodge told my dad if he paid the first 1500 they would cover the rest. Not to bad for being out of warranty, the dealer on the other hand......... :shooter: ...... but surprisingly enough i see quite a few dark colored 3rd gens with rusting fender wells.................. o well silver!!!! FTW

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
sssshhh i have a dark colored ram. but i have fender flares so if its there it hopefully be covered up.

durango4819

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
my brothers 01 XJ is the same blue color and his paint has gone to complete ****

OP
OP
badfish888

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
dodge told him that it was something like ( the clear coat wasn't adhering to the darker colors) least their tryn to help him

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
my 2002 silver ram has the exact same rust problems next week i'm going to get a few sides of the bed quotes

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Anthony. I've seen em rusted through as well. That is where they all start is on the Box as "condensation" gets in and sits between the two rounded panels that are close but not touching. If you live in a dry climate or no salt zone your OK. If you have rust protection done that is an area where a hole drilled/sprayed and black plugged will help over time..Just an opinion...

In your Dads and Ryans case sounds like an outer rust/paint problem.....

Last edited:

Hemitom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I try to hose out both bed sides a few times a year. take the tailights off and spray high pressure water to at least help stop the corrosion from starting.

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I sanded the area down to bare matel, hit it with some rust preventor/stopper stuff (forget the name), then bedlined over that. Then covered all of it with some fender flares.

I know some might think "your a cheap ass" but I did my research and talk to many different body shops. They said they could fix it, but it wasn't going to be cheap, and there wasn't a guratee that it would keep the rust from coming back.

So, I wanted flares anyways, so I fixed it my self

Ram_bo06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm originally from upstate. The amount of salt they use ther is knarly. That sounds like a pretty good deal he got though. I would def go for that.