Saying goodbye to my 4th gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DiabeticSith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After a year of going back and forth with the dealership on right front suspension repairs, I decided to give up and just have some peace of mind.

Back story: I purchased in Sept. 2020 a CPO 4th gen 1500. Two weeks after purchase, the RF strut mount and strut failed. 1.5 months later, again. About 3 months after, again. The dealer then decided to replace all front suspension components. The whole front end is new. Middle of this year, the RF goes out again. Early this month, RF again.

After plenty of arguing and general disappointment with the dealer's ability to rectify the issue, I decided to cut my losses and purchase a brand new 2022 5th gen 2500 Lone Star. I pulled the trigger yesterday and I'll be picking up the new HD on Saturday since I'm out of the country on a work assignment. Here's a dealer pic of the new family member. I purchased the HD from a different dealer. I'm hoping this will be the last truck I buy for at least 15 years.

Attachments

• 37d66ab0d581180f9056f6e63b1c1a59.jpg
    37d66ab0d581180f9056f6e63b1c1a59.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 55
  • a9fcb746e52995d0ef1b3bb1fd45585f.jpg
    a9fcb746e52995d0ef1b3bb1fd45585f.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 51

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After a year of going back and forth with the dealership on right front suspension repairs, I decided to give up and just have some peace of mind.

Back story: I purchased in Sept. 2020 a CPO 4th gen 1500. Two weeks after purchase, the RF strut mount and strut failed. 1.5 months later, again. About 3 months after, again. The dealer then decided to replace all front suspension components. The whole front end is new. Middle of this year, the RF goes out again. Early this month, RF again.

After plenty of arguing and general disappointment with the dealer's ability to rectify the issue, I decided to cut my losses and purchase a brand new 2022 5th gen 2500 Lone Star. I pulled the trigger yesterday and I'll be picking up the new HD on Saturday since I'm out of the country on a work assignment. Here's a dealer pic of the new family member. I purchased the HD from a different dealer. I'm hoping this will be the last truck I buy for at least 15 years.
Looks great!.....hope you get to enjoy this one!!

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm glad that you got something which hopefully won't be cursed but I am unable to believe that you had such ongoing trouble with one corner's suspension like that. It's simply not that complicated or unique, and there are hundreds of thousands of these trucks out there for over a decade not having that kind of problem. Sure you aren't slamming it into a curb every time you drive into your work parking lot or something?

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Nice! Congrats!

That suspension problem on your 2016 1500 is a puzzler though. Pretty rare on a 4th gen to have front end problems. It's pretty basic has been around forever and has multiple adjustment points. I don't get that one at all.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Outstanding. Did you go Diesel or Gas?

OP
OP
DiabeticSith

DiabeticSith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm glad that you got something which hopefully won't be cursed but I am unable to believe that you had such ongoing trouble with one corner's suspension like that. It's simply not that complicated or unique, and there are hundreds of thousands of these trucks out there for over a decade not having that kind of problem. Sure you aren't slamming it into a curb every time you drive into your work parking lot or something?
Entrances to both my driveway and work are flat. Not particularly jagged or uneven. I turn left into work and right into my driveway at home. Mostly back into the driveway though. I thought about that too. Wondering why always the right front. Who knows?

OP
OP
DiabeticSith

DiabeticSith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice! Congrats!

That suspension problem on your 2016 1500 is a puzzler though. Pretty rare on a 4th gen to have front end problems. It's pretty basic has been around forever and has multiple adjustment points. I don't get that one at all.
Thanks. Neither do I. Can't fathom why it kept failing.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Nope. Never got an answer. The second time it failed, it was due to negligence. Bolts weren't torqued. :|
Well, it’s good your done with it. Might I suggest using a different service department if available near you ? Hopefully you won’t need service for awhile on the new Ram. Congrats!

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At least the current market conditions are on your side. You should have come out ok on that swap. Glad you stuck with Ram...

(well, it really doesn't matter to me, honestly). But at least you're familiar with them in general.

OP
OP
DiabeticSith

DiabeticSith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At least the current market conditions are on your side. You should have come out ok on that swap. Glad you stuck with Ram...

(well, it really doesn't matter to me, honestly). But at least you're familiar with them in general.
Down here in TX all trucks have a markup. Lone Star/Big Horns have a $10k market adjustment. Laramie and Longhorn have a larger markup. $12k and up depending on the dealer. Hell, a Ford dealer wanted to sell me an F-150 Lariat for $82,000 before TT&L. I called this dealer as soon as I saw the truck listed at MSRP, $54,700. Identically equipped Lone Stars in Houston are listed at $64,700. I didn't come out too bad. Didn't get what I wanted for the trade, but the transaction was smooth. They took the trade without seeing it and still gave me market trade-in price. Come Saturday it's just gonna be a matter of swapping vehicles.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Down here in TX all trucks have a markup. Lone Star/Big Horns have a $10k market adjustment. Laramie and Longhorn have a larger markup. $12k and up depending on the dealer. Hell, a Ford dealer wanted to sell me an F-150 Lariat for $82,000 before TT&L. I called this dealer as soon as I saw the truck listed at MSRP, $54,700. Identically equipped Lone Stars in Houston are listed at $64,700. I didn't come out too bad. Didn't get what I wanted for the trade, but the transaction was smooth. They took the trade without seeing it and still gave me market trade-in price. Come Saturday it's just gonna be a matter of swapping vehicles.
Hey, as long as U happy. Get yer new ride, drive it and enjoy it. They have 2500 6.4L Tradesman's in Central TX, some at 51-55K, but I do not need a 2500 nor need a new ride since my 1500 has 18,600 on Odometer. But I have been fortunate, truck doing well. (except for sorry AC).

OP
OP
DiabeticSith

DiabeticSith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey, as long as U happy. Get yer new ride, drive it and enjoy it. They have 2500 6.4L Tradesman's in Central TX, some at 51-55K, but I do not need a 2500 nor need a new ride since my 1500 has 18,600 on Odometer. But I have been fortunate, truck doing well. (except for sorry AC).
We'll see how happy I am on Saturday when I pick it up. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna enjoy it. I bought this one out in Gonzales.