SD card reader with a 5.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wbhvacer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Does anyone know if the sd reader hub can be installed in the place of the aux usb only hub?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes, it can, but I don't know if the 5.0 radio can use the SD card reader. The 8.4 radio has the drivers but I don't know if there is a factory equipment 5.0 with card reader so the 5.0 may not have drivers for the reader...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Wbhvacer

Wbhvacer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for the reply may take a chance and see.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
The SD card reader with USB hub will not work with a 5.0 radio. Even the USB with the SD reader will not work with 5.0 radios. I have already tried it.

On the other hand, the USB only reader hub will work with the 8.4 radios.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm pretty sure the USB is a charge only port.
He's asking about the one in the console, not in the dash. You are correct though, the dash is charge only.

OP
OP
Wbhvacer

Wbhvacer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
OK, I read your original post thinking you were talking about the combo SD/USB reader hub that comes standard with RAMS that have the 8.4 radio and not some aftermarket SD reader.
Me too. Now I'm confused...

OP
OP
Wbhvacer

Wbhvacer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I was asking if the factory sd/usb/aux would work in the place of the usb/aux interface .
I know the 5.0 will read sd cards with the use of an adapter from usb to sd
So I wanted to use the factory reader if it would work to clean it up.

I guess I'll find one and test and post the results here.

Thanks to all for your replys

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I was asking if the factory sd/usb/aux would work in the place of the usb/aux interface .

No it will not like I mentioned in my first reply. Been there, done that, it will not work with a 5.0 radio. The 5.0 radio has no provision in the software to recognize a separate SD slot, nor will it read off the USB port either.

OP
OP
Wbhvacer

Wbhvacer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
No it will not like I mentioned in my first reply. Been there, done that, it will not work with a 5.0 radio. The 5.0 radio has no provision in the software to recognize a separate SD slot, nor will it read off the USB port either.[/QUOTE
Ok,now that's the information I was looking for some one who had tried thaUSB/SD/AUX INTERFACE. Thanks for clearing that portion up.

when I get back home tomorrow I'll post a video of the 5.0 playing mp3s from the SD to USB adapter I use so if any one wants that option at least they will see it does work. Also it worked with my 3.0 before I switched to the 5.0.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Ok,now that's the information I was looking for some one who had tried thaUSB/SD/AUX INTERFACE. Thanks for clearing that portion up.

when I get back home tomorrow I'll post a video of the 5.0 playing mp3s from the SD to USB adapter I use so if any one wants that option at least they will see it does work. Also it worked with my 3.0 before I switched to the 5.0.

You do not have to post the video unless you want to. I have read of others mentioning using an adapter like you mentioned with the same results. It stands to reason that the separate SD adapter would work since it emulates itself as a USB memory adapter to the factory USB/AUX only port hub.

Express Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought the factory media hub that goes into the console. Bought it when I still had the 3.0 radio, then I went to the 5.0 and now I'm at the 8.4 RA4 radio. Worked great with all three radios. P#68096428AD