Seeking Pro Tips - Fog Light Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meodom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Okay……I’ve come to the point in my mod I’ve been avoiding! I have my fog lights in, the OEM harness installed, Mike’s harness installed and the wire run through the firewall. It’s time to tackle pinning the BCM. I’ve read countless threads in prep to tackle this. I’m looking for any tips and encouragement I can get before I start what looks to be a real pain in the a$$!

I’ll take any tips y’all throw my way!

Some specifics I’d like to ask about.

1. The right fog (C4) connection is done one handed and seemingly in the blind. Tips on releasing the lock bar on the cover and popping the wire harness out of the cover one handed? Seems you need a small screw driver to pry the harness out of the cover. How is that accomplished one handed?

2. Same as above, is a screwdriver not required to detent the tab locking the harness cover locking bar to release it?

3. Anything I can/should try to move out of the way other than the connections in the BCM to the left of C4?

4. Anyone out there attempted this and couldn’t get it done?

5. How long did it take?

6. Should I remove the kick plate under the steering wheel for better access?

7. Finally, how many beers do I need to buy for this part of the project!?

Downzero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are adding fog lights to a truck that didn't have them from the factory then just install a separate switch.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
You forgot... "What are my chances of smoking the BCM because I don't know what I'm doing?"
And, 'How much cheaper would it have been to pay the dealer 1hr labor time to turn on the fog light function, install the proper factory switch, and plug the fog lights into the existing harness?"

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man you guys are being super helpful to OPs questions aren't you?

If the harness was existing, do you think OP would be repinning connectors? Think through things.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Reference... (I believe you already have this)
RamForum’s 5th Gen 2019+ Foglight Add-on harness thread (post 1-10).

a few helpful videos, etc in there! (
ie post 3&4)

Disconnect battery first!

Definitely remove that knee bolster/ pop out the OBD connector & footwell light cable to make more room.

Cheap harbor freight or similar small battery LED light helps a lot.

Move the seat all the way back.

** You may get better feedback from others that have actually done it, but posting you're question in the above linked thread **

OP
OP
M

Meodom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
And, 'How much cheaper would it have been to pay the dealer 1hr labor time to turn on the fog light function, install the proper factory switch, and plug the fog lights into the existing harness?"
Don’t have an existing harness pal…..thus re-pinning the BCM. Appreciate your insight.

OP
OP
M

Meodom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Reference... (I believe you already have this)
RamForum’s 5th Gen 2019+ Foglight Add-on harness thread (post 1-10).

a few helpful videos, etc in there! (
ie post 3&4)

Disconnect battery first!

Definitely remove that knee bolster/ pop out the OBD connector & footwell light cable to make more room.

Cheap harbor freight or similar small battery LED light helps a lot.

Move the seat all the way back.

** You may get better feedback from others that have actually done it, but posting you're question in the above linked thread **
Thanks Mike. I’ve watched them several times. I feel god about what has to happen…..just looking for tips on making it happen. Some folks on this forum seem to get irritated by that!