Serious engine problems, 2002 4.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aberration

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
So I got this 2002 4.7L. On a long trip it decided to lose compression on #5 and blow the plug up.

Compression gauge shows 0 on #5, leak down you can hear the air coming from the intake valve.

So I get the head off and send it into a shop, they replace all the valve stem seals, and exhaust valve on #1 was replaced. So a dropped stem seal may have been root cause? Most likely from carbon build up?

So I get the head back on, and it runs worse than before. Before you couldnt really even tell something was wrong but the light. Now it is running super super rich. It can hardly hold idle, and even the load of going 30 ft up my inclined driveway is enough for it to back fire like crazy.

So I noticed that the exhaust manifold on the odd side head I replaced, was cold. I could still see the sheen of oil from me cleaning it all up. While running, I can put my hand on the exhaust manifold on that side, other side.... no way.

Anways, I check compression again and now #3 is gone on the intake.....

So my question really is, why does it seem like NONE of the odd side are firing. This engine is actually really easy to work on and hard to screw anything up, so I am so stumped.

I clean took out and cleaned the MAP. The Crank position sensor... the O2 sensor...

I just don't see this 1 dead cylinder causing the whole engine to run super rich. So I have got to get this head off and taken in again, but I somehow dont think that is going to solve the rich problem.

I live next to a really big river and the coast, so I may have a solution. And if that doesnt work I am sure I can rig up something to make it go boom.... :shooter:

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Don't know what you used to clean the sensors, but sounds to me you might have damaged the Map sensor. And recheck all the wires and connectors.
Good luck.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Seems like a sensor issue, im willing to bet the cam sensor is FUBR. The sensor reads the drivers side cam and then tells the PCM what all it needs to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357