Service intervals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryandavid96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey so I am new here to this forum and just mainly looking for insight regarding my new/ used truck I just purchased. So I have a 2011 dodge ram 1500 laramie with the 5.7 hemi with 194,000 miles on it. No issues this far as I'm 3 weeks into driving this truck. With the truck being used with that many miles, I didn't get alot of info on if the past owners followed changing the transmission fluid and filter every 60,000 miles or not. Should I just go ahead and change it at a dealer? I've heard that if it hasn't been changed at all, changing the transmission fluid will only cause more problems in the future.

Idahokid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s a tough call.I just bought a 2016 with 109,000 and I couldn’t find any maintenance records other then brakes and recall issues.Just to ease my mind I did both diffs and transfer case. I flushed the coolant as will. Ive only put a couple thousand miles on it but I did that much so far.Spark plugs are next.

ToddS1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah that's hard call. Is the transmission pan about as dirty as the rest of the bottom of the truck or is it cleaner (indicating it hasnt been on that long).

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would personally change it. What's the fluid look like on the dipstick? Fairly clear? Or dark and dirty? Does it smell burnt or anything?

More than likely it's been changed before. Don't succumb to bar-stool myths perpetuated by people who don't know crap. Let's think it through: There's going to be a crapload of suspended particles floating around any super high-mile tranny fluid. That crap isn't adding anything to your transmission but maybe wear. And if it hasn't been changed before, it's real dark, then the filter would be pretty clogged too. That situation would add a lot of stress and resistance to a transmission. But we don't even know if that's the case with your fluid.

So yeah change it and get the full kit with spin-on filter. I would stick to Mopar ATF+4. Our local Chrysler part's dept sells it out of their bulk container by the gal cheap. In fact there are two Mopar dealers nearby who will. Call a smaller family dealer (not a big one) and ask. Fluid additive packages are not all necessarily the same between mfgrs, but I would start with the assumption that it was changed before and stick with Mopar fluid as it's most likely to be what is in there now, and the path of least problems. But an alternative is if there's a Penzoil high-mile ATF for it wiht additive pack.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just wanted to add: I've read in multiple technical tranny rebuilt manuals, they indicate yer always better off replacing old fluid with new. Let's say worst case, after a change, it developed a shudder (not saying by any means it will...but let's just 'say'). If that occurred, you might then add an anti-shudder compound. It's designed to adjust the friction features of trans fluid. It's not black magic, Mopar and GM sell it for that reason.

Shudder occurs basically when friction values between the clutches or the torque converter are out of spec. It's not uncommon for high-mileage vehicles to develop shudder issues either normally or after a fluid change. Some after-market tranny fluid's for "High-Mile Applications" come 'pre-packed' with anti-shudder compound in their fluids (like Penzoil's Dextron's), to pre-emptively combat it in high-mile applications. And it works. Again, we're talking absolute worst-case here.

Another thing which can happen is shift solenoid's can flake out on RFE transmissions. I've experienced this ...and it seems like a bad tranny, but is a flaky shift solenoid. Once replaced it takes a couple days for the tranny to re-learn and smooth out. So *if* something does awray don't panic. It's a complex assembly of mechanical & electrical parts which can be diagnosed. But again, this is all just worst-case thinking here. Just trying to put things into perspective that things aren't binary in a transmission.

And *if* after you replaced your fluid the tranny WAS somehow permanently knocked out, let's say, it was undoubtedly hanging by a thread anyway. The new fluid didn't alone kill it.

I would not only change the fluid, I would exchange it. NOW having said that, I've seen some of these fluid exchangers, and one thing that worries me about them is how clean the *machines* are inside. And the hoses. Dealers usually put their new guys doing fluid changes, and their experienced technical guys doing highly technical troubleshooting. Everything should be super-clean from end-to-end in the fluid exchange process. A young kid worrying about the saturday night party and which of his buddies is picking up the latest CBD haul, isn't who I'd want making sure not a single aspect of heigyne is overlooked, on my vehicle.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Change the fluid and filters . If it is going to die ,it will happen . If not you will know that it’s been serviced . You can follow with antifreeze , differential service , transfer case if applicable, and maybe fresh brake fluid. We like to help new members spend their money , once you get the maintenance done we can help spend more on performance improvements !