Service Power Steering 2013 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harrisb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
2013 RAM CC Sport 4x4

So two weekends ago we're coming back from cottage country and the "service power steering" message pops up on the EVIC. Luckily I was only one exit from home as there was NO POWER STEERING at all. Fluids are good BTW. So the next morning I start up the truck and everything is perfect, dealer can't find anything wrong either and the EVIC hasn't stored the message.

Today I'm heading into the office and on comes the light again, test a quick lane change and sure enough, NO POWER STEERING again. This time I'm about 5 minutes away from the closest dealer so I muscle it in. Writing this from the service lobby right now actually.

My 2013 has that new electric power steering and the dealer states they haven't seen any issues (scary cause that sounds like I'm a guineau pig).

Anyone had a similar issue with their 2013? If so, what was the issue? This is a fairly major safety issue as I'm sure if my wife is driving she wouldn't be able to muscle it around corners and we tend to have the kids onboard as well.

Any thoughts whatsoever? Thanks guys

OP
OP
H

Harrisb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So dealer supplied me with a rental and it turns out to be a control module for the power steering. Should be fixed tomorrow (no parts in stock)

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad they figured it out quickly. Hopefully that solves it for good; I can see your safety concerns.

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Harris

Glad the failure did not cause an accident!

Yes that sucks when you take vehicle to the dealer and they say no code= no problems,sorry we cannot duplicate your problem come back when it really has a problem we will fix it!!!

They think even mechanical problems should generate a code which they are not even attached to any computer of any kind, it ****** me off.

I would just like to get a ballpeen hammer and smack them between the eyes to get there attention!

Thank the guys who came up with "just in time delivery" ******** for no one carrying even basic parts on their shelves any more, it really sucks.

Hope fully this fixes power steering problem forever for you.

Regards
Don

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I understand where the tech (if busy) can't waste much time with something they can't get alot of information from since most of them that I know are paid on hourly rate and if it takes them 8 hrs to diagnose and issue and book says the dealership only gets two well that tech only gets paid for those two hours. Its a sh**y system and makes people really really upset having to bring the vehicle back 2 and 3 times for same issue. Glad you are getting it fixed cause I remember when GM got sued for a couple of their electric steering sensors going out and driving a family off a cliff. Not a good deal for anyone.

OP
OP
H

Harrisb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm driving a dodge cause my ford had a vibration in the front end that 15 dealer visits couldn't resolve. Even though corporate was involved for the past year, they declined coverage when one dealer figured it out cause I was 7,000km's out of warranty (first reported at 16,000km's, two years prior). The fix only cost me $400 but it was the principle, a sensor went the next week and two days later I sold it.

Hoping this doesn't turn into an experience like that

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is rough, I bet with replacing the whole modual it'll fix the problem. I can't see how there would be to much to track down in the new system.

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
That is rough, I bet with replacing the whole modual it'll fix the problem. I can't see how there would be to much to track down in the new system.

That's a mouth full, meaning its a new system and potentially be a pandora's box of problems, I hope not for everyone buying them.

I will never buy a new to the market product,or update to existing model until after they are least they are 1 yr old and have a chance to get the bugs out.

Regards
Don

jdolotina

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If the control module is out on the steering the whole rack must be replaced. The new electronic steering racks, have the modules imbedded in the rack, which means the rack must be replaced. Hopefully you have an extended warranty.

Josh

farmer1975

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Same thing but dodge doesn't want to be liable for my bumper I guess im stuck paying for it myself

kpytel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Harrisb

I just had the same thing happen to me with the power steering on my brand new 2014 that is less then a month old. The dealer can't get the control module by tomorrow though and have to wait until after the holiday weekend.

I just wanted to see if you had any follow up issues after this. Worried that I may have gotten a lemon. Thanks for your help.