Sheared Mount Bolt on Serpentine Belt Tensioner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spamcan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
Aside from the obvious "drill a hole and use an easy-out at home" remedy.

Stupid me mis-understood a video (or mis-remembered) and went to dismount the Serpentine Belt Tensioner with a star bit and 3/8 ths inch ratchet. I thought the author said its thread was lefty-tighty, righty-loosy. What I didn't remember was he was talking about the tensioner's pulley bolt.... NOT THE TENSIONER'S MOUNTING BOLT !!!! Guess what happened.... Yeah, it did!

So, I'm trying to find out A) if the base to which the tensioner assembly mounts is on a "cover" of some sort which can be unbolted from the block; it's not readily obvious, visually. This so I can take it to a machinist to have the bolt stub removed in the proper environment by a "pro".

B) What major components must I dismount from the engine to gain access to remove said cover?

The bolt sheared off with only a couple of mm protruding from the tensioner's mating surface..... not enough to grip it with anything.

I estimate that I was applying about 200 ft/lbs of torque when it snapped!

Tensioner.jpg

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aside from the obvious "drill a hole and use an easy-out at home" remedy.

Stupid me mis-understood a video (or mis-remembered) and went to dismount the Serpentine Belt Tensioner with a star bit and 3/8 ths inch ratchet. I thought the author said its thread was lefty-tighty, righty-loosy. What I didn't remember was he was talking about the tensioner's pulley bolt.... NOT THE TENSIONER'S MOUNTING BOLT !!!! Guess what happened.... Yeah, it did!

So, I'm trying to find out A) if the base to which the tensioner assembly mounts is on a "cover" of some sort which can be unbolted from the block; it's not readily obvious, visually. This so I can take it to a machinist to have the bolt stub removed in the proper environment by a "pro".

B) What major components must I dismount from the engine to gain access to remove said cover?

The bolt sheared off with only a couple of mm protruding from the tensioner's mating surface..... not enough to grip it with anything.

I estimate that I was applying about 200 ft/lbs of torque when it snapped!

View attachment 244591
If it’s a steel bolt have someone weld a nut to it instead of drilling it out. Can generally be done on truck if you can get a mobile welder

OP
OP
Spamcan

Spamcan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
UPDATE: I dove into it anyway, and discovered that, indeed, the A/C compressor has its own mount. Also, the air pump, alternator, tensioner pulley, idler pulley are also on a separatable bracket mounted to the front of the engine. I removed that bracket and saw that my broken bolt was protruding from the its back by about half an inch. Using a Dremel tool, I cut a slot for a common screwdriver and was able to revove the bolt.... Yippeeeeee.

@crazykid1994 - I like the idea of welding a nut,to it, though!

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Don't you just love a happy ending?