Shop building tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in the process of building my dream home on some acreage (super excited) and a 36 x 48 shop. The shop is just being started now and so far I think I've got it down for what and how I want it set up but was hoping I could get some people here with shops to tell me things they wish they had or did differently...? Thanks! Only got one shot at this lol so I want to make sure I get it perfect. Here's a pic of the house thus far and my land933e692a40fbb19fa2f44b8deffb8912.jpg4c9e6bec019044ebe57106383f508944.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you are planning to have a lift in the shop you may have to pour the concrete floor a little thicker than the usual 4". Also you might try to contact member SoCal as I think he is doing the same type project you are.
Jay

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are planning to have a lift in the shop you may have to pour the concrete floor a little thicker than the usual 4". Also you might try to contact member SoCal as I think he is doing the same type project you are.
Jay
Thanks jay. Yeah I have a 2 post 10k lb lift going in with a 6" slab to accommodate [emoji106]

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still figuring the electrical out which is more technical then I imagined lol but so far I've got worked out
36' deep x 48' wide x 14' walls
6" slab
Two 12 x 12 overhead doors w/ side mount motors 8' apart
250A 3 phase box
I have to draw where I want all my outlets and my builder is going to wire and pipe everything so its clean and no cords hanging everywhere.
Insulated ceiling walls and roll up doors.

Hes asked me about lighting and I still haven't figured that out, I definitely want it bright for detailing.

Lots of other little stuff but would love to hear from some people, I'm sure there are things I haven't thought about

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really hated pulling my air hose around the garage. I would suggest you get a good compressor and run a few(2) roll up hose auto rewind hangers from the ceiling half way between front and back and 1/4 way out from the side walls. That way you don’t have an air hose laying on the ground, people tripping over them ect. and they roll up on their own after you are done with them. Depending the size of you garage I would say get 2 hoses one for each side and make sure you have enough hose to reach the whole garage(shop)

I did this after the fact and I’m glad I did cause it makes life a lot easier

Something like this. You can always adjust the stop so it hangs down further

7fde1db475a50ee4aeacd8b1dd932121.jpg

2018 Black Pearl Ram 1500

LED Tail Lights, Black 4 Quad Halogens with HID conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, 8.4 UAQ conversion(in progress)

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
OMG. The shop we all want. You gotta keep us posted with pics. When I think about the 30 x 36 shop "I had" before we down sized. A couple things come to mind. Should have had more than two 110 outlets per wall. Should have had more than two 220 outlets. Should have designed the lay out with large shop sink with hot water. Consider how to keep it comfort cool in summer and warm in winter. I ended up adding those things after it was built, but could have saved $ by making it part of the build. Location and orientation on land. Think through how you will use your shop. What will the typical activity's be. North South front and back or East West,,if you have a choice. Access to shop. Concrete or asphalt. Your orientation decision can save you money. Take the time to consider the little things. Where do I want my tools. Exposed or cabinets. Grinders buffers and drill press. Free standing or bench mount. Cost and personnel choice are good factors. Most important, don't rush it. We tend to do that. Excited for you.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm sure no expert but I have never ever ever seen a garage or shop with too many elec. outlets--including 220. Also as I remember some time ago there was an interesting discussion on "autopia" about lighting an area for detailing. You might want to see if you can find it somewhere on the site. Also you might want a floor drain in case you want to wash the car/truck inside because of weather considerations.
Jay

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys! Definitely will be running some piping for the compressor but that roll up hose you posted I'll definitely be adding those in!
LED lighting for sure, there are a few different styles I've looked at but hard to tell how many to have the electrician wire in with each kind, that's something I'm working on figuring out now.
I'll definitely keep the progress posted, this is my dream come true basically [emoji16]

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sure no expert but I have never ever ever seen a garage or shop with too many elec. outlets--including 220. Also as I remember some time ago there was an interesting discussion on "autopia" about lighting an area for detailing. You might want to see if you can find it somewhere on the site. Also you might want a floor drain in case you want to wash the car/truck inside because of weather considerations.
Jay
Floor drain. Mind blown lol never thought of that but that would be amazing to have

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ll tell you what. Best thing I ever spent my money on was those auto rewind. They save space and you don’t have to worry about storing your hoses. Or hooks to hang them on. Best investment I ever made lol

LED Tail Lights, Black 4 Quad Halogens with HID conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, 8.4 UAQ conversion(in progress)

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Floor drain. Mind blown lol never thought of that but that would be amazing to have

And with the floor drain it can be connected to a French drain and help the environment and keep the flowers watered for the big boss.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And with the floor drain it can be connected to a French drain and help the environment and keep the flowers watered for the big boss.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road
Keeping the big boss happy has been key with all this, our deal was she can design the house however she wants (and she certainly has with 40 grand in upgrades and plan changes lol) and I get my dream shop. But it's worked out great so far shes done awesome with the house and has let me go crazy with the shop with even having full cable/internet and security hook ups in it. Only thing she did that I struggled to keep my mouth shut on was spend a extra 5k on making every door on/in the house a 8' door haha

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tim the Tool Man Taylor....never have too much power.uhh uhh uhh..lol, not sure how to spell his grunt
Lol, in my current garage I have tons of power strips and extension cords everywhere and I definitely did not want to have to do that in the shop so i thought out how many i think I'd use, then threw in a handful extra [emoji23]

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keeping the big boss happy has been key with all this, our deal was she can design the house however she wants (and she certainly has with 40 grand in upgrades and plan changes lol) and I get my dream shop. But it's worked out great so far shes done awesome with the house and has let me go crazy with the shop with even having full cable/internet and security hook ups in it. Only thing she did that I struggled to keep my mouth shut on was spend a extra 5k on making every door on/in the house a 8' door haha

I would have been right there with you. I would have said honey. That’s totally not needled. We are not basketball players living here but then again I gave you full range with the house. [emoji23]