Shop building tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
when I wired up my garage, I alternated 15 and 20amp outlets every 4 feet. I have enough, and don't have to worry about popping a breaker. I also put different colored face plates on so I know which is which.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
when I wired up my garage, I alternated 15 and 20amp outlets every 4 feet. I have enough, and don't have to worry about popping a breaker. I also put different colored face plates on so I know which is which.

This is the perfect solution!

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper Stt MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 5W-30
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys! Great idea I'll do that. The electric has been the toughest part for me, I swear sometimes when I'm talking with the electrician hes speaking a different language lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
if you've considered lights, double whatever you had planned. You can never have too much light, and you can always turn off a bank. Put them on 3-4 banks, so you have more control.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
15404092251181578102161141012417.jpg Some tips on shop electrical. Run your outlets as upper and lower on seperate circuits so you have 15 amps on both plugs or better yet 20 amp (the plugs look different, but you can get combo 15/20 outlets.check local code, but around me it's 12g wiring instead of 14 for 20 amp, but worth it imho. If you have a compressor and or welder then get outlets wired for them where you need them as well as the correct service for your hoist. Heating if you can go geothermal I'd say radiant in the floor is the nicest to work on, but electric radiant on the roof pointing at where you'll be is good if you just want heat while you're in there. Either way you'll want to pre-wire or pre plumb. An air outlet by the front door is great for cleaning off your boots before you walk in. Alarm pre wiring also a good idea (door sensors, motion, cameras etc.). Also have a couple outlets next to dòors as those will be the easiest to access and likely the ones you'll use most.

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you're doing work benches or cabinets make sure the plugs are set at a kitchen counter plug height on those walls. Garage door opener plugs suitable to your opener if you have one as well as the prewire for the fixed control. Problem with electrical is if you miss something you have to cut open walls and fight with running more wire. Attic can make it easier to do drops to things you missed down the road. Doesn't hurt to run a couple canduits from the panel into the attic and cap them for down the road if you're worried and you have that option. Also make sure your panel is bigger than you need so you can expand as desired, because although you can add sub panels down the road it's cleaner and easier to just have the extra slots.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 144508 Some tips on shop electrical. Run your outlets as upper and lower on seperate circuits so you have 15 amps on both plugs or better yet 20 amp (the plugs look different, but you can get combo 15/20 outlets.check local code, but around me it's 12g wiring instead of 14 for 20 amp, but worth it imho. If you have a compressor and or welder then get outlets wired for them where you need them as well as the correct service for your hoist. Heating if you can go geothermal I'd say radiant in the floor is the nicest to work on, but electric radiant on the roof pointing at where you'll be is good if you just want heat while you're in there. Either way you'll want to pre-wire or pre plumb. An air outlet by the front door is great for cleaning off your boots before you walk in. Alarm pre wiring also a good idea (door sensors, motion, cameras etc.). Also have a couple outlets next to dòors as those will be the easiest to access and likely the ones you'll use most.
I'm actually looking into heating at lighting right now. My budget is pretty close now with the lift and compressor so I might have to go cheaper on the heating [emoji51]. It is going to be fully insulated including doors but I know that only does so much. I was looking at industrial electric heaters but wow they are like 60amp service! I dont like that.
The house is running off propane so there is that option as well. I'll look into what you were recommending but it sounds spendy lol

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shop is already being wired for security as well along with cameras

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone have any experience or knowledge on these kind of lights??
A little pricey but with 50,000 hour lifespan and 15k lumens at roughly 1 amp each they sound great
682d4e735c170ca4bcf4d834ff7e8f03.jpg

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
See if you can do LED lights, more expensive front but much longer lasting and better light.

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
See if you can do LED lights, more expensive front but much longer lasting and better light.

These are led [emoji106] definitely only getting led just trying to decide style and how many

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’d try and get 4ft ballasts and set them in rows every 4ft apart. And lines lengthwise across the shop.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm actually looking into heating at lighting right now. My budget is pretty close now with the lift and compressor so I might have to go cheaper on the heating [emoji51]. It is going to be fully insulated including doors but I know that only does so much. I was looking at industrial electric heaters but wow they are like 60amp service! I dont like that.
The house is running off propane so there is that option as well. I'll look into what you were recommending but it sounds spendy lol

I've seen guys run wood stoves and gas furnaces that just have an open outlet and they all work. The big radiant shop heaters are pricey to run full time, but they heat up what they point at so you just run them while you're in there and leave the shop cold most of the time so I only suggest them for that purpose. In floor radiant might not be too bad depending on the size. It can be done with a gas or electric boiler that circulates through piping in the floor that gets laid in pre pour or if your house is geothermal you'd just expand the field. Except for the radiant floor heat anything can be changed down the road without breaking the bank.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Good for you!! They finished pouring the slab for my 35x30' shop today... I'm taking lots of pics and will post my project once it's complete. My shop layout is similar to yours except reversed. Vehicle area on the left, everything else on the right.

I am going with 8' LED lights, 8 strips of two lights spaced evenly across the ceiling. All of my power outlets are going to be 15/20 amp sockets, in quad boxes, with each outlet on it's own breaker. A few 30amp sockets, locations yet to be determined, one 50 amp 120/240 twist lock just in case I need some serious power. The building mains are 125 amp.

I'm not putting in a bathroom, too much trouble plumbing the black water pipe back to the house and tieing it in. I am putting in a big double kitchen sink I picked up off the side of the road, and a simple shower, to drain into a buried 55-gallon drum behind the shop (French drain I think they call it).

Once the building is up, I'll post all the pics in a nice photo-documentary!

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good for you!! They finished pouring the slab for my 35x30' shop today... I'm taking lots of pics and will post my project once it's complete. My shop layout is similar to yours except reversed. Vehicle area on the left, everything else on the right.

I am going with 8' LED lights, 8 strips of two lights spaced evenly across the ceiling. All of my power outlets are going to be 15/20 amp sockets, in quad boxes, with each outlet on it's own breaker. A few 30amp sockets, locations yet to be determined, one 50 amp 120/240 twist lock just in case I need some serious power. The building mains are 125 amp.

I'm not putting in a bathroom, too much trouble plumbing the black water pipe back to the house and tieing it in. I am putting in a big double kitchen sink I picked up off the side of the road, and a simple shower, to drain into a buried 55-gallon drum behind the shop (French drain I think they call it).

Once the building is up, I'll post all the pics in a nice photo-documentary!
Congrats! Post me a link here when you make the thread will ya, I'd like to see it!

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've seen guys run wood stoves and gas furnaces that just have an open outlet and they all work. The big radiant shop heaters are pricey to run full time, but they heat up what they point at so you just run them while you're in there and leave the shop cold most of the time so I only suggest them for that purpose. In floor radiant might not be too bad depending on the size. It can be done with a gas or electric boiler that circulates through piping in the floor that gets laid in pre pour or if your house is geothermal you'd just expand the field. Except for the radiant floor heat anything can be changed down the road without breaking the bank.
I've thought about a wood stove, can get em pretty darn cheap and most my working will be on the open side of the shop

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I live in Florida... I would need a shop heater maybe... three days a year?? If that?? I'm investing in floor fans... Lots of 'em! LOL
I had a grey market excavator that came from somewhere that must have been always hot. Come winter it sucked because it had ac, but no heat. Things you never think to check!

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I've thought about a wood stove, can get em pretty darn cheap and most my working will be on the open side of the shop

If you go with a wood stove it will serve you best in the center of the shop or as close to the center as possible. Reason is that they put heat out in 360* and against the wall it’s only effective for 180*
Also if it’s in the middle of the shop it’ll help put the heat close enough to where you’re working and without be dangerous.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you go with a wood stove it will serve you best in the center of the shop or as close to the center as possible. Reason is that they put heat out in 360* and against the wall it’s only effective for 180*
Also if it’s in the middle of the shop it’ll help put the heat close enough to where you’re working and without be dangerous.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road
Yikes, I dont wanna give up the middle of my shop haha.
Majority of my time in the shop will definitely be on the open end of it. Thanks for the tip though I'll keep that in mind, I didnt know that