Should I change the Fuel Filters after 1 year if I have have not driven the Truck Much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
It will be a year in March since I changed the fuel filters on my Ram 2500, I have only put about 5k on the truck in that time and it will not be driven much during February.

So should I change the fuel filters after a year anyway even though they are only at about 50% of their life based on millage.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
If the truck will sit for a while, and it sounds like it has and will, I’d be more concerned about the fuel than the filter. I change my filters on my tractor when I hit miles or hours, which ever comes first.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No need to. The OEM service interval is 10K. As long as the quality of your fuel is per specification and not the cheapest, from the bottom of the tank dregs, you should be good.

Most diesel owners are more concerned with air and water in the fuel which can damage lift pumps and injectors after a while. If you want to protect your Cummins from them then look into some of the aftermarket fuel systems such as FASS, Donaldson or Parker Hannifan.

OP
OP
F

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Thanks, I drive it once a week for at least 30 minutes to an hour. So it does not just sit.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
You didnt ask but aside from the other tips, with such short driving times, make sure she gets up to temp when you take it out. Diesels dont like to puddle jumping.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I change the oil and filter once a year, but not the fuel filters. I use the filter life monitor %. I also dont drive mine all that often either. I only really use my 3500 to pull my fifth wheel RV , so it sits a lot too.

smasher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 Bighorn
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hi: I have a 2019 Cummins, I live at Puerto Rico,so high temperatures here,my mechanic is a diesel expert,by his advise I change my oil and oil filter every year or every 10,000 miles,I use Rotella t6 full synthetic ,at the same time he changes the two diesel fuel filters,the one near the tank is the dirtiest one,that is the life of your engine and fuel pump,especially since mine have the cp4 pump.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It will be a year in March since I changed the fuel filters on my Ram 2500, I have only put about 5k on the truck in that time and it will not be driven much during February.

So should I change the fuel filters after a year anyway even though they are only at about 50% of their life based on millage.
I had the same issue a couple of years ago when an illness kept me from driving the 2015 Cummins much. I put on about 4,500 miles that year. My owners' manual says to change the fuel filters once every 15,000 miles, when the dash indicator indicates, or once each year, whichever occurs first.

I put on new filters for two reasons, the truck was still under the initial warranty period and I've read the fuel system could cost up to 10K to repair. 80 bucks for new filters was an easy decision.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I change the oil and filter once a year, but not the fuel filters. I use the filter life monitor %. I also dont drive mine all that often either. I only really use my 3500 to pull my fifth wheel RV , so it sits a lot too.
Exactly my scenario, except I have a pull trailer RV. I change the oil and filter once a year to be in compliance with the owner manual and the warranty. See no reason to change fuel filters until the EVIC says. My service manager agrees.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
You didnt ask but aside from the other tips, with such short driving times, make sure she gets up to temp when you take it out. Diesels dont like to puddle jumping.
That is too true.