Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I get the Etorque???

Discussion in 'Dodge Ram Rebel Forum' started by Firedawg227, Jan 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Firedawg227

Firedawg227 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 v8 hemi
    Hello all. I am going to purchase a 2021 ram rebel in May and im trying to decide on the 5.7 v8 vvt or the etorque. I have seen alot of forums that talk about electrical issues and it has me worried about the etorque. I like the feature of the etorque to get that extra power when passing someone but am afraid of having issues on a new truck. Has ram figured out all the bugs for the 2021 model or should I juat stay with the vvt? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Scott J Mirabella

Scott J Mirabella Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I can't comment on the E-tourque. But I can say you will have no problems passing almost anyone with the regular Hemi. My truck is very fast, and even with the 3.92 rear passing is never a problem.

tidefan1967 and Firedawg227 like this.
  3. HAL9001

HAL9001 Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    2021 Limited
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Watch this video on the features and benefits of eTorque. For the mere $200 extra cost, it adds a lot. It used to cost $1450 extra.

I have it on my 2021 Limited and I can tell you that the start/stop is absolutely seamless, you can barely notice it. The downside is that it adds some extra complexity. However, these trucks are already so complex there's no avoiding that.

If you're concerned about reliability, the FCA Federal Emission Warranty covers the following parts of the eTorque system for eight years/80,000 miles, whichever comes first:

- Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator Assembly
    - Powertrain Control Module
    - Power Pack Unit - 48 Volts

That pretty much covers the entire system.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Sandevino, olyelr and W4RL0CK like this.
  4. unxpctd

unxpctd Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2017 Ram Rebel
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I wonder how the stop/start sounds with a custom exhaust, much louder than stock.

2019Warlock likes this.
  5. Jayc71

Jayc71 Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi, 3.92 ratio Rebel
    I wanted the eTorque system, but I couldn't find any models with it locally when I picked up my Rebel so I got one without it. That said, I can't really comment on differences but I can say that I am not disappointed with the Hemi at all. It's a beast of a truck.

ETorque or not, you'll love this truck.

Firedawg227 likes this.
  6. ShortRAM

ShortRAM Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    It might sound good on a new truck with a warranty, but think about what happens when the warranty ends and very few, very expensive technicians are the only ones who might have a clue about fixing it when something goes wrong. I currently own an electric motorcycle and if I ever find a buyer for it I will never own another one. The problems I see in the electric motorcycle are potentially the same ones that could be encountered with the e-torque. Brushless electric motor, electronic motor controller, l-ion battery, battery charger; none of which your current mechanic has the first clue about diagnosing or repairing. The most likely fix for problems is major component replacement, rather than repair. $3K for a battery, $3K for the motor, $1.5K for a motor controller, $1.5K for a charger. Oh, you will need to add diagnostics and labor to those prices. Is your local dealer going to have a full-time technician on-site to deal with the "e" problems, or are you going to have to wait a month for the factory technician to come in to do the work? I guess I'm just an old fuddy-duddy who is resistant to change, but I'm sticking with internal combustion engines.

7. Doug Ram

Doug Ram Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Eco Diesel _3.0

I went with an ecodiesel, and kind of worry about the same kind of issues, only people who can repair major things are FCA (or whatever they call themselves now) techies. However its got a 100,000 mile warranty, which the eTorque doesn't.

On the bright side, friends have a Tesla thats at least 5 years old. 5 problem free years. Luxury sedan version. Electric motors are inherently long lasting low maintenance things. Its a southern car driven on salt free roads.... I wonder how it would do in my climate - salt for 6 months.

8. Sandevino

Sandevino Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Yet no one has asked why it costs $1250 less now.

Typically, you don’t discount what sells well.

9. Dennis2

Dennis2 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I have a 2019 with the etorque. Runs great and haven’t had any problems with it. It doesn’t live up to its promise of gas mileage. The extra cost apparently is not the same now. So for me it wasn’t worth the extra cost. The added torque is beneficial if it works as I pull a trailer. As far as passing the etorque from what I was told only works when first starting to move so not at passing speed. Great truck though and trailers very nicely.

10. HAL9001

HAL9001 Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    2021 Limited
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    The warranty on the eTorque components is 8 Years/80,000 which is the same as the maximum available Mopar Extended warranty. If you're concerned about repairs, you'll need to consider trading in the truck at 8 years because that's when all of the complex systems it has goes off of any warranty.

There may be a method to revert the eTorque back to a conventional alternator if someone no longer wants it when the truck gets old.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021