Should I pull the trigger?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ParamG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I just bought my 2020 rebel ecodiesel and I got 1 percent for 8 years

It is saving me money at about 100 dollars cdn a fill up usually every 9 or 10 days

My hemi was about 140 a week for 98 liters of 89 octane

If your driving 40 to 60 km a day I would go gas but if your driving like 100km plus a day the ecodiesel will save you money but your paying more for the truck monthly but I'm still saving 200 to 300 cdn a month over what my hemi would run me

Oil changes cost more but are less frequent (10000 km vs 5000 km)

Another thing to consider is ford is set to release a gasoline hybrid f 150 which is supposed to get 1200 km a tank 100 more then the eco diesel

I'd consider waiting for its release if you want a faster fuel efficient model but then again a battery would provly cost alot if it where to go

OP
OP
Ohio5pt7

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just bought my 2020 rebel ecodiesel and I got 1 percent for 8 years

It is saving me money at about 100 dollars cdn a fill up usually every 9 or 10 days

My hemi was about 140 a week for 98 liters of 89 octane

If your driving 40 to 60 km a day I would go gas but if your driving like 100km plus a day the ecodiesel will save you money but your paying more for the truck monthly but I'm still saving 200 to 300 cdn a month over what my hemi would run me

Oil changes cost more but are less frequent (10000 km vs 5000 km)

Another thing to consider is ford is set to release a gasoline hybrid f 150 which is supposed to get 1200 km a tank 100 more then the eco diesel

I'd consider waiting for its release if you want a faster fuel efficient model but then again a battery would provly cost alot if it where to go
My round trip is about 200mi a day. All highway so that helps. The ford isn't much of an option no want for hybrid lol.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

ParamG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Damn so with the 26 gallon tank my rebel ecodiesel would get 685 miles so about 3 and half way for you lol but the hemi i had with the same 26 gallon tank would only do 466 miles so 2 days and 1 /3

OP
OP
Ohio5pt7

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Damn so with the 26 gallon tank my rebel ecodiesel would get 685 miles so about 3 and half way for you lol but the hemi i had with the same 26 gallon tank would only do 466 miles so 2 days and 1 /3
Yea lol I'm down to about 16 mpg now so it's a day and a half lol

Justin Matthews

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I was looking at an EcoDiesel as well, but the articles I found about the timing chain issues at about 70K miles and the fire issues pushed me to the 5.7. I am sure those issues may have been addressed in the 2020 though.

yes, those are gen 1 issues.

Justin Matthews

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
This is an old article, but the one I was referring to:

https://carbuzz.com/news/why-new-ecodiesel-owners-need-to-beware-of-engine-failure

and it looks like the fire recall only ran through 2019 model year.

The EcoDiesel seems like a very attractive option in the 1/2 ton platform. I would still love to scoop one up if they have worked out the kinks.
Yes; the Gen 3 are nearly 90% brand new designs and motor. Much of the issues were worked out. Not sure yet which new ones were introduced though. Lol

yellowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
none
Don't get the whole diesel thing, they sound like noisy rattle traps, and do you get back what you pay per gallon up front ? Good luck when you need engine work out of warranty. My neighbor has a GMC Canyon, sound like a washing machine every time he goes by.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Don't get the whole diesel thing, they sound like noisy rattle traps, and do you get back what you pay per gallon up front ? Good luck when you need engine work out of warranty. My neighbor has a GMC Canyon, sound like a washing machine every time he goes by.

The EcoDiesel is virtually silent running down the road, and almost just as quiet towing heavy (the Hemi is much louder). Only when it's idling do you hear the engine, even then it's nowhere near noisy, slightly more noticable than the Hemi at idle.
As for for your neighbor's truck...that a GM for you...lol

FlaglerMegacab4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I liked the eco diesel but what turned me off was they didn’t go with a Cummins unit. I have a 2500 CTD 4th gen and love it. The one main concern id have though with any new diesel Cummins included is the new CP4 and CP4.2. They are prone to failure. People say a good remedy is using a high quality fuel additive and in certain It would help but never the less the problem is still present. Just Google cp4 failures and you’ll see Morgan and Morgan is even doing a class action.

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Kicking around the idea of picking up a 2020 ecodiesel. Of course that means sending my truck packing but it's tempting. I drive a lot of miles so wondering if it would be beneficial. I hear it gets great milage also.

I would strongly recommend staying away from the 12" infotainment center unless you are looking at a 2021 model. All the previous 12" infotainment centers are junk.