Should I take the Honda Pilot or the RAM to haul rock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zaxxs

Reaction score
Ram Year
I needed to get some rock for a landscape project the other day, so I checked the payload on my 2017 RAM 1500, it is 1390 LBS (which ended up being 1/3 of a yard, or about 6 full wheelbarrows). I had to make two runs, it all worked out fine. But not what I am used to since all my previous trucks have been 3/4 tons.

For the heck of it I checked my wife's Honda Pilot's payload, it is 1340 LBS. Only 50 LBS less than my truck! Next time I might take the Pilot...if she lets me:)

That said I did not buy this truck for hauling rock, and I do love the cushy ride.

OP
OP
Z

Zaxxs

Reaction score
Ram Year
LMAO, Agreed on the shoveling rock out of the pilot :)

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you look at my profile pic, my truck has a 400 gallon water tank in the bed. witch is about 3200 lbs full, granted i have helper bags. it still freaks out all the 2500 boys.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
rent a dump trailer. Low payload but most likely have a decent tow rating. Of course near me, quarries will deliver.

OP
OP
Z

Zaxxs

Reaction score
Ram Year
If you look at my profile pic, my truck has a 400 gallon water tank in the bed. witch is about 3200 lbs full, granted i have helper bags. it still freaks out all the 2500 boys.
I am interested in airbags, but I am curious if the rest of the truck (axels) can handle an extra 1500-2000 LBS. But your water tank experience seems to indicate no problems...

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How far do you have to carry the load? Your ram can carry a lot more than you think.

I remember years ago I went to get some sand for a project (you know where this is going...lol). This was in a chevy 1500 pickup with heavier aftermarket rear springs. The guy dropped the end loader bucket of sand (it wasn't all dry sand), and it took er down to the bump stops real quick! Fortunately I only needed to go about 3 miles. I had that truck loaded down to the bumpstops a few times over the years. Still runs great.

OP
OP
Z

Zaxxs

Reaction score
Ram Year
I would not be going more than 20 moles with heavy loads, just landscaping etc. I've had airbags in other trucks and they worked well. I'll probably add them this year to the RAM. Thanks for the comments.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You have not hauled a load, until your driving down a road in farm country, & to take a corner, you have to apply the brakes to get the front wheels to touch.
We did not get caught & we did not do any where close to the speed limit

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I get a yard of 3/4's drain rock, works out to be just over 2k pounds, ride is gushy but doable. As for the Pilot, if it is the older square one, the most under rated suv ever. I can say when I took the wife suv hunting, I was pulling for her to chose the Pilot, she ended up choosing the toyota, but those pilots are a real nice driving vehicles. I know you are joking, but don't mess that Pilot up because they are irreplaceable if it is a square body pilot.

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am interested in airbags, but I am curious if the rest of the truck (axels) can handle an extra 1500-2000 LBS. But your water tank experience seems to indicate no problems...
I work events Like NASCAR and music festivals selling water to the campers to refill the motorhomes and trailers. There 3-4 day events granted i am only going 5-10 mph some times 20. I have been doing it for 10+ years but so far i have had no adverse affects with my suspension, axels, or anything else.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Air bags wont increase your pay load, you need a full float axle. It puts the weight on the wheels, so wheel limit is the payload limit. Most places delivery the rock, this is your best bet anyhow. My guy charges 55, I talk him down to 25 everytime. Most my payloads are many yards, I only risk one yard once in a while, it is the absolute limit on the 1500's. Check your tires load capacity as well if you insist on doing this. You can get different load rated tires, mine are e I believe, the ride is noticeably worse the d or c.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can always do 1/2 yard at a time, or 1/2 load at a time, no harm in being smart.

CrasherAsher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Air bags wont increase your pay load, you need a full float axle. It puts the weight on the wheels, so wheel limit is the payload limit. Most places delivery the rock, this is your best bet anyhow. My guy charges 55, I talk him down to 25 everytime. Most my payloads are many yards, I only risk one yard once in a while, it is the absolute limit on the 1500's. Check your tires load capacity as well if you insist on doing this. You can get different load rated tires, mine are e I believe, the ride is noticeably worse the d or c.
I am going to a agree and disagree with you. yes Airbags alone wont increase your payload. But just having load E tires wont increase your payload either. It all works with each other.
Thats why I run Airbags, E rated tires and drilled and slotted rotor and upgraded brake pads. I travel 20+ miles at these events i am working and yes i am going slow. but i still have been doing 10+ years hauling 3200 lbs. I have no axel, rear diff, and no suspension issues to say that 2000 lbs is that absolute limit of these trucks I have to disagree.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I am going to a agree and disagree with you. yes Airbags alone wont increase your payload. But just having load E tires wont increase your payload either. It all works with each other.
Thats why I run Airbags, E rated tires and drilled and slotted rotor and upgraded brake pads. I travel 20+ miles at these events i am working and yes i am going slow. but i still have been doing 10+ years hauling 3200 lbs. I have no axel, rear diff, and no suspension issues to say that 2000 lbs is that absolute limit of these trucks I have to disagree.
For sure load e tires wont increase load, a full floating axle would, as in that is what 2500's do, or did at one point. The load of a 1500 is way to low to even consider tire capacity, unless you move to a full float. I have load e not to increase my payload but to have security when towing.