Shudder in 5th ... sometimes????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had a transmission shop recommend the BG Products transmission flush and clean. They recommend every two years or 30k miles
For the 8 speed ? I thought that is what we where talking about, 30k miles is a bit much for them

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the 8 speed ? I thought that is what we where talking about, 30k miles is a bit much for them
Every two years or 30k miles is the recommendation to minimize the shudder, not a general maintenance recommendation

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
IMHO it never hurts to do a transmission drain and fill other than time and $$$. If you do it yourself and already have the tools, it's not too pricey.

My ZF at 91,000 miles was performing well but I went ahead and did the DNF with Valvoline MaxLife and a Dorman pan. I think it shifts a bit better now, a bit more firm.

OP
OP
Jwrigh12

Jwrigh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well.... little update here. Yesterday I went through the whole procedure and added two tubes of Lubeguard Shudder Fixx to the transmission, and what do ya know... shudder is all but completely gone. Im gonna run it like this for a few months (while I save a bit of cash and do some research) then do a full on flush, possibly with the BG products flush)

Any recommendations at this point would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again y'all

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Well.... little update here. Yesterday I went through the whole procedure and added two tubes of Lubeguard Shudder Fixx to the transmission, and what do ya know... shudder is all but completely gone. Im gonna run it like this for a few months (while I save a bit of cash and do some research) then do a full on flush, possibly with the BG products flush)

Any recommendations at this point would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again y'all
Many do a second drain n' fill shortly after the first to get even more old fluid out of the transmission.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Interesting note on the oil change at 30k for the shutter, New one to me , but I have not had a problem.
I have watch Rainman Ray on youtube , and he has a fluid changer that would be handy, but that's not to help with the filter
He really seems to like that BG stuff.

2010ramrocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ok I have read a few of the posts but still have questions?
(NO Codes of any kind!!) 2010 laramie /hemi, 159k mls, sparks chnged at 120k, curret problem:
Currently has shudder as (if I was driving a clutch I would say I went from 1st to 3rd !)? But shudder also returns at higher gears, lower RPM (trying to maintain speed! And ECO is engaged????)
What I have done recently:
Motor was just running weak and blau … so I ran gumout engine multi tune …x2 … and WOW I have my Hemi back fantastic but!!
I had also had a small transmission hose seeping .. I used AT-205 stops leaks and it did stop seep!! (I did not use very much and poured rest in oil) then 2wks later I had shop run “engine cleaner” (run for 15 min drain and yes they said it was dirty but not too bad!) and had oil (synthetic) changed again ( so 2 oil chg in about 30 days) .
Shudder seemed to be worsening (or more aware?) now it is for sure! Just a thought it ALWYS seems to be when motor switches to “ECO” 4 cylinder mode????? Give a little gas pedal or let off completely then pedal … Always quits shudder!! ( not saying pedal until downshift just a little more than maintaining speed …. Also doesn’t do it in Tow haul TH …
I have not done anything to tranny … (I don’t want to kick a hornets nest) and ever tranny place I have ever gone they find something that cost 3,000 (I have never heard a different story from anyone “drive” in and then it’s a total rehaul!!
Q: is this an “ECO” mode thing or engine programing, or tranny issue !!! ???
Thank you all in advance!

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so its been a minute since I've had a chance to get on here! Here's the update.

1. Ive been driving it in Tow/Haul since I posted this thread. TH mode seems to make it a little bit better, but not all the way. I would say that TH has 10-20% the shudder that normal driving has. Again mainly in 5th - that being said, either Im paying more attention, or the symptoms are spreading, as outside of TH mode it seems to be in 3-5 now. Less in the other gears, but still present.
2. I got the truck at 143k - and the only service history I can confirm is a water pump about 10k prior to that. @Dusty As far as plugs go, I have no idea. @Marshall same goes for fluid and filter change. Plugs have been on my list, just havent had the time recently. For that matter.... a trans fluid change and thermostat mod have also been on the list too...
3. No codes of any kind have been thrown recently. As a matter of fact, the only codes Ive ever gotten are codes for fuel tank voltage out of range (over a year and a half ago that went away on its own), and a code for my 3 way coolant valve. The valve body is still there and plugged in to avoid throwing a code (most of the time), but the actual coolant lines are hooked up to a 3 way pipe fitting and always open.

So. I did go to the store yesterday and got two tubes of shudder fixx - transmission was too hot today after dropping the kids off at school to put it in though... so that'll have to wait for the weekend.

Any thoughts/suggestions as to some next steps? Shudder fixx right away? Would a drain/fill be beneficial? I think I saw on some other thread something about a flush product designed to clean off the glaze that @BenWade was mentioning. Any ideas?
The new Mobil 1 LV blue label trans fluid is likely able to fix your shudder.

Rocketjam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Mr Jwrigh12, its been a few months since your last post, any updates? I've have the same issue regarding shudder pulling my trailer 5000lbs, I noticed quite a shutter even in tow mode from 1st to about 5th. Now it seems that it shudders without towing unless I drive it hard. I just had the oil/filter changed but it's still there. Is the Shudder Fixx still working?​

Thanks

OP
OP
Jwrigh12

Jwrigh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey man! Yeah, so far so good! I leave it in Tow/Haul all the time, and turn off MDS (need to get it tuned just for that!)
Quite honestly, I dont notice the shudder anymore, and Im not driving aggressive either. Pretty sure its not a permanent fix, but the shudder has all but disappeared from normal driving!

I will say though, I dont tow anything, so I cant compare that part for you.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hey man! Yeah, so far so good! I leave it in Tow/Haul all the time, and turn off MDS (need to get it tuned just for that!)
Quite honestly, I dont notice the shudder anymore, and Im not driving aggressive either. Pretty sure its not a permanent fix, but the shudder has all but disappeared from normal driving!

I will say though, I dont tow anything, so I cant compare that part for you.
So I used TH for 7 years the same way to keep away low rpm shudder in longer gears as in rpm band in 3-4-5 in the rfe have way more rpm ranges then 1-2, which I never had any shudder in 1rst and second. Long story short, when I changed my transmission fluid the shudder has been gone since without using TH. It is a different transmission, but something to consider keeping up on fluid changes with that 8 speed.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So was it as easy as squirting the tubes into the drain plug hole?

To add shudder fix (or anything else) into the fill hole on the ZF, you'll need to have the rear end of the truck elevated so that the the ZF is level and the engine must be running. Otherwise, when you pull the fill plug, ATF will pour out leading to an underfill situation.