SILENCE!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I love my truck, but it is a loud beast. I had went to an audio shop for a quote to sound deaden the truck. $2750 for the ultimate mat, $2300 for the basic. I have the money, and for the amount of labor and materials involved, I don't think that is an outrageous price. However, me being me, I just couldn't help but wonder what it would cost to do it myself. I researched the more popular products, and some of it was in the range of $3.50 a square foot. After reading the SDS and white papers on the materials, I started searching for like kind materials but under different names, locations, etc. Basically all of the materials used are butyl mastic tape with foil facing, foil tape, closed cell foam, spray adhesive and 1lb per sqft mass loaded vinyl (MLV). The hunt was on! Lowes and Wal-Mart had most everything I needed for a fraction of the price, but the MLV was a challenge. Then I realized we use the exact same thing to sound deaden piping system in the plants! A few quiet words here and there, the promise of a six pack, and I acquired a truck load of 2lb per sqft MLV. 128 sqft and twice the density of the name brand stuff for $12 bucks worth of beer.

20190131_051214.jpg

20190201_135715.jpg

20190201_131157.jpg

20190201_131229.jpg

20190201_140802.jpg

OP
OP
ErnieBoling

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Some very basic tools was all that was needed to get started. I used the Peel&Seal anywhere there was a drum skin. A simple tap test is all I used to find the worst problems. From everything that I read, placement and adhesion are more important than coverage for the first layer. I decided to go for all the above on the back wall.

20190201_182233.jpg

OP
OP
ErnieBoling

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
First layer was the butyl dampener. I followed that with a radiant heat barrier.
716511400030.jpg

20190201_171443.jpg

20190203_120958.jpg

stateofdade

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
That's pretty sweet. How much time did you invest in the install and is it only the back seat area that you did this to?

OP
OP
ErnieBoling

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
That's pretty sweet. How much time did you invest in the install and is it only the back seat area that you did this to?
My truck is a daily driver, and I work, so I will have to do this in sections. Also, I don't have a sheltered area to work. Rain and mosquitoes held me up a bit. Having said that, the answer to your question is; I did my materials shopping, pulled the seats, rear wall panel, trim pieces and carpet out to the storage bins Friday after work. The mosquitoes tried to carry me away after dark, so I dogged off until Saturday morning. Saturday I did the rear wall completely before the rain got me. Sunday I did the floor and pans and wrapped it all back up. In a shop this amount could have been done in a single day I think.

OP
OP
ErnieBoling

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Just the 1/3 of the truck that I did has made an incredible difference. It is almost as if my truck just...ends, right behind my head. There is absolute silence back there. I made my friend drive the truck so I could sit in the backseat and get a feel for the difference. I don't know how to describe how drastic the change was. You can now hear every single piece of glass in the truck. The engine noise from the Cummins used to be barely noticeable, now it sounds like it is sitting in my lap when I drive. The best analogy I can make for the change is for the people who have done the Kicker speaker upgrade. The shocking increase in clarity of those speakers is equivalent to the shocking decrease in noise. I cannot wait to do the rest. I am going to do the doors next because if I get stopped in the middle of the job, I can drive with no door panels. The rest of the floor after that. Roof last.

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hope you never have problems with the seal n' peel. It's asphalt based and when it gets real hot, you may have tar ruin the inside of you cab. I hope it doesn't happen, but if it does, best of luck getting it out and not ruining your truck. The real butyl based stuff costs what it does because it's not cheap. You seriously might want to rethink what you've done. Just sayin.

OP
OP
ErnieBoling

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I hope you never have problems with the seal n' peel. It's asphalt based and when it gets real hot, you may have tar ruin the inside of you cab. I hope it doesn't happen, but if it does, best of luck getting it out and not ruining your truck. The real butyl based stuff costs what it does because it's not cheap. You seriously might want to rethink what you've done. Just sayin.

I appreciate the heads up. However, everything is under carpet and out of sight. If it gets a little sloppy, it's out of sight, out of mind. I would never use this on the doors or roof. I am going "Namebrand" for those areas.

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I appreciate the heads up. However, everything is under carpet and out of sight. If it gets a little sloppy, it's out of sight, out of mind. I would never use this on the doors or roof. I am going "Namebrand" for those areas.
Just keep your eyes peeled because of read stories of it actually sliding off. Not very nice and will ruin your interior.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When researching this stuff myself, I read lots of stories of the smell of tar/asphalt when it gets hot. Hope that doesn't happen to you. Honestly though, my '09 is one of the quietest vehicles I've owned. I've considered doing some sound control on the accord, though. After driving the truck, that thing is noisy.

OP
OP
ErnieBoling

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Just keep your eyes peeled because of read stories of it actually sliding off. Not very nice and will ruin your interior.

Well, I do have a heat gun and a temperature gun. This weekend I will run some tests to see how this stuff holds up.

OP
OP
ErnieBoling

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
When researching this stuff myself, I read lots of stories of the smell of tar/asphalt when it gets hot. Hope that doesn't happen to you. Honestly though, my '09 is one of the quietest vehicles I've owned. I've considered doing some sound control on the accord, though. After driving the truck, that thing is noisy.

My '14 is by far the quietest vehicle I have ever owned with the exception of maybe my Jag and Mercedes. However, now it is even more quieter, which is even more gooder.

OP
OP
ErnieBoling

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Found something you might want to check out.

I like what he was trying to do there, but that was painful to watch lol. Deff needs to work on his narrative and camera skills lol.
If any vertical surface of my truck (rear wall) ever gets over 200 degrees, it is because the truck is on fire, and I will have bigger problems than what type of goo is under my carpet. As far as the horizontal surfaces go (floor pan), if it does get a little soft, it is not going to slide unless I do a -2g stop (a 60 to 0 deceleration in under 1 second), in which case I have been in a severe head on collision, and again, have bigger issues than what is under my carpet lol.
Just trying to humorous there, not making light of your point. I do get your point, and I will do the "Namebrand" stuff on the ares that count.