Sliding rear window leak fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would encourage anyone with a power sliding window to check their trucks for this.

Went out to my truck the other day and found the passengers side storage bin had about 1in of water in it. So like most of us my first thought was the 3rd brake light. I had resealed it about 3 years ago as per @Burla s thread about it. I pulled the 3rd brake light off and found no evidence of water in there. No dirt trails or water spots at all and the headliner was perfectly dry. Went on to remove the rear seat, rear insulation panel, a bunch of trim pieces, and peeled the carpet back I found quite a bit of water had soaked into the carpet around the door sill all the way to the front seat. At that point I was thinking Satellite antenna or rear window was leaking.

Today it rained all day here, starting sometime early in the morning. I had left a bunch of rags around that are of the truck to see if I could tell where it was coming from. It was clear it was coming from the back corner of the cab and running down into the storage area and then running down into the door sill area. There was also a clear trail of water drops right up to the corner of the sliding rear window track. Looking in the track I found standing water. Normally I get pics of this stuff but I was simply not in the mood. While I was in the back of my truck it started pouring and the water really started coming in. Got some pics of that.

So fast forward to the fix, there are drain holes in the bottom of the sliding window track at the end on each side of the window and both were clogged. So with nowhere to the water just overflowed into the cab. A shot of 120psi compressed air blew out the crud blocking the drain holes. On the outside of the truck there was dirt coming out of the openings in the weather stripping at the bottom of the rear window. I poured some water in the track and sure enough water was coming out of the bottom of the rear window outside.

Now that I know where this is I will be hitting this area on both sides of the window track with compressed air every few months to ensure the drain holes are clean.

Hope this helps someone[emoji106]64d3d82bc4bf3442b6e6bbea08cfe722.jpgda5b0acefb0426a3cc78058c53654e43.jpgf8ceb2a02dd56c91c3172dafd38e328d.jpgb7fe75bbdcf9311401a68a3d75d60084.jpg88a26edd46179442dff22046662070f1.jpg

Last edited:

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I did this with my 08, use to stick a wd40 stem into my rubber blow out attachment and blow it into the track every 6 months. I hate leaks
I found every one In that truck!
I also had an exterior seal leak, ran some flowable silicone down the seams and all was fixed, great stuff.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did this with my 08, use to stick a wd40 stem into my rubber blow out attachment and blow it into the track every 6 months. I hate leaks
I found every one In that truck!
I also had an exterior seal leak, ran some flowable silicone down the seams and all was fixed, great stuff.
Flowable silicone? Never seen that...

That's a great idea with the WD40 straw[emoji106]

Last edited:

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Flowable silicone? Never seen that...

That's a great idea with the WD40 straw[emoji106]

Want your BW44-44 to fully lock? Contact @Brandon-w for a locking switch

Yeah its for windshields. Moves real slow but really effective. I didnt realize it and squeezed a bunch on the top corner of the rear window behind the rubber trim, had a bunch flow right out the bottom! But it sealed what ever wasnt on its way down.

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would encourage anyone with a power sliding window to check their trucks for this.

Went out to my truck the other day and found the passengers side storage bin had about 1in of water in it. So like most of us my first thought was the 3rd brake light. I had resealed it about 3 years ago as per @Burla s thread about it. I pulled the 3rd brake light off and found no evidence of water in there. No dirt trails or water spots at all and the headliner was perfectly dry. Went on to remove the rear seat, rear insulation panel, a bunch of trim pieces, and peeled the carpet back I found quite a bit of water had soaked into the carpet around the door sill all the way to the front seat. At that point I was thinking Satellite antenna or rear window was leaking.

Today it rained all day here, starting sometime early in the morning. I had left a bunch of rags around that are of the truck to see if I could tell where it was coming from. It was clear it was coming from the back corner of the cab and running down into the storage area and then running down into the door sill area. There was also a clear trail of water drops right up to the corner of the sliding rear window track. Looking in the track I found standing water. Normally I get pics of this stuff but I was simply not in the mood. While I was in the back of my truck it started pouring and the water really started coming in. Got some pics of that.

So fast forward to the fix, there are drain holes in the bottom of the sliding window track at the end on each side of the window and both were clogged. So with nowhere to the water just overflowed into the cab. A shot of 120psi compressed air blew out the crud blocking the drain holes. On the outside of the truck there was dirt coming out of the openings in the weather stripping at the bottom of the rear window. I poured some water in the track and sure enough water was coming out of the bottom of the rear window outside.

Now that I know where this is I will be hitting this area on both sides of the window track with compressed air every few months to ensure the drain holes are clean.

Hope this helps someone[emoji106]64d3d82bc4bf3442b6e6bbea08cfe722.jpgda5b0acefb0426a3cc78058c53654e43.jpgf8ceb2a02dd56c91c3172dafd38e328d.jpgb7fe75bbdcf9311401a68a3d75d60084.jpg88a26edd46179442dff22046662070f1.jpg

Want your BW44-44 to fully lock? Contact @Brandon-w for a locking switch

Thanks for posting this. You blew it out from the inside? And did you put any lubricant on the tracks, after you were done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for posting this. You blew it out from the inside? And did you put any lubricant on the tracks, after you were done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes from the inside out. A bunch of dirt came out the vents on the outside of the window.

I didn't put any lube in the tracks only because that any lube can attract dirt...

Last edited by a moderator:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Awesome !

Great find [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, I'm gonna check mine and clean it out

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just went and looked at mine but I didnt find these holes, on the outside the rubber trim has three slots/drains is this where it blows out?

Was the slider open or closed?

Did you remove the slider cable?

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just went and looked at mine but I didnt find these holes, on the outside the rubber trim has three slots/drains is this where it blows out?

Was the slider open or closed?

Did you remove the slider cable?
They're really hard to see with the back seat there. I had to unbolt the seat and lay the back down so I could get in there to see them (definitely going to do the rear seat mod now). The driver's side holes can only be accessed with the slider closed, passengers side it doesn't matter. On both sides they're right before the cable clip at the end of the tracks.

Yeah the water should drain out those 3 slots on the bottom of the outside of the window. If there's a lot of dirt in the track you will see a lot of that come out the slot as well...

Last edited:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok well maybe it is a good time to do the rear seat mod

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As soon as my metal reciprocating saw blades get here I'm doing mine[emoji106][emoji106]

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
As soon as my metal reciprocating saw blades get here I'm doing mine[emoji106][emoji106]
Don't Wana use a zip cutter? [emoji48]

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Good find Corey, so not every leak is third brake light. Looks like your truck is doomed to get a few leaks, replace antenna gasket now before you get another lake in your truck.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good find Corey, so not every leak is third brake light. Looks like your truck is doomed to get a few leaks, replace antenna gasket now before you get another lake in your truck.
Thanks[emoji106]

I was thinking about this too, how do change the antenna? Please tell me you don't have to drop the headliner........

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

My sliding rear window doesn’t leak, it just loves to stick when it gets hot, and whines like the glass needs lubrication. Oh well.

Sent from my Blue Onyx RAM 1500

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990