So... how much hardware is missing from my factory side steps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Preamble- from my inspection it seems the 1500 and HD trucks for 2019 use different mountings for side steps, so this thread applies to HD specifically. (Classics might be the same, I haven't checked)

Issue 1: Today I'm under the truck closing up the taped over holes in the rockers, and I noted there are bolts missing from the front mounting bracket of my factory installed side steps. One bolt rather than two. Left and right sides the same way. Not consistent with the installation instructions I downloaded from the Mopar site, and not consistent with other trucks I examined on a dealer lot today- other trucks had two bolts. So that's definitely got to be dealt with.

View media item 28687
Issue 2: Looking a little further, I realize there's a whole other set of mounting holes in the rocker panel AND in the step, in the center position. My steps only have brackets at the front and rear, not in the center. Here's where I'm looking for feedback.
-The instructions for installing cab steps from the Mopar Accessories site clearly show 3 brackets on everything that fits 4 doors
-I found two trucks on the lot with cab length steps like mine, and they are missing the center bracket as well.
-I found two trucks with the wheel to wheel steps that extend behind the cab, and those DO have the center brackets mounted.

View media item 28686View media item 28688
So, my question is, should I roll into the dealer and insist on the center bracket being installed? Or is mine just like all the rest, and the documentation is wrong? I have to take it in anyway for the missing bolts as well as a couple of other things I've found. If it matters, these were on the factory sticker so I'm assuming bolted on at Saltillo and not the dealer.

Thanks for your advice.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
When I bought my truck, they threw in some steps to close the deal but I had to install them. They ordered a set and I picked them up. Factory sealed box, 2 brackets per side and hardware (2 per bracket). I brought the same thing up and was told the instructions are wrong only the wheel to wheel have the third bracket. You will also need 2 rivnuts and bolts for the bar itself.

I have found the install hardware and brackets, but not the plastic "beauty" cover.

Hardware 68044460AA

https://www.moparfactoryparts.com/o...MI8579-KyR5wIVSr3ACh37eg-fEAQYBCABEgKezfD_BwE

Rivnut tool
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&ved=0ahUKEwiH2aD_rZHnAhUGWs0KHbFNC5oQ8wII0wI

Bracket 68044456AB
https://www.moparfactoryparts.com/o...MI8579-KyR5wIVSr3ACh37eg-fEAQYEiABEgLj3vD_BwE

OP
OP
T

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, thanks for that @WY-Dave , that’s very helpful information. Considering that, I may go have a talk with the service and parts guys and see about a compromise; I’ll bolt it on if they’ll supply the parts for the missing bolts / rivnuts plus extra brackets and hardware for the center.

I’d like to have all the brackets, because as I see it it’ll be stronger if I ever get it on a boulder or a log. I’m not planning to use side steps as rock sliders, but sometimes stuff happens.

Thanks again for the part numbers!

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hey, thanks for that @WY-Dave , that’s very helpful information. Considering that, I may go have a talk with the service and parts guys and see about a compromise; I’ll bolt it on if they’ll supply the parts for the missing bolts / rivnuts plus extra brackets and hardware for the center.

I’d like to have all the brackets, because as I see it it’ll be stronger if I ever get it on a boulder or a log. I’m not planning to use side steps as rock sliders, but sometimes stuff happens.

Thanks again for the part numbers!

Same thinking as myself. If you hit the parts dept and get the part to the beauty covers could you post the number here or shoot me a msg, TIA

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My side steps are full length which might be different than yours. But is has all three attachment points.

IMG_0697.JPG

OP
OP
T

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My scouting around the dealership indicates that the full length wheel to wheel steps get 3 brackets. The cab length only get 2. Despite the instructions and the Chrysler parts system diagrams showing 3. Went through the whole thing with my local parts guy today who confirmed they quit using the center bracket some time ago and it's caused questions.

He's ordered a couple of "bracket assembly" for me, with no certainty yet exactly what the contents are. Don't know if it's just the bracket, or if it includes the plastic cover and the hardware. $55 each with my commercial discount. It's not even stocked at all in their internal distribution system, it has to come from the supplier, and may take up to 4 weeks.

When they arrive, I'll post up a picture and the part ID if it's the correct item.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
My scouting around the dealership indicates that the full length wheel to wheel steps get 3 brackets. The cab length only get 2. Despite the instructions and the Chrysler parts system diagrams showing 3. Went through the whole thing with my local parts guy today who confirmed they quit using the center bracket some time ago and it's caused questions.

He's ordered a couple of "bracket assembly" for me, with no certainty yet exactly what the contents are. Don't know if it's just the bracket, or if it includes the plastic cover and the hardware. $55 each with my commercial discount. It's not even stocked at all in their internal distribution system, it has to come from the supplier, and may take up to 4 weeks.

When they arrive, I'll post up a picture and the part ID if it's the correct item.

Great!

OP
OP
T

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Strike one. Ordered and received the brackets; they look good and include the hardware and the plastic cover. But the ones they got me are 2" lower than the ones on the truck.

Back to the parts department for another go.