so ive made my decision....2wd to 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ADudeOnSkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318/5.2 Magnum
BFG ATs have been the best do everything tire I've ever had. But I refuse to own a vehicle that isn't 4x4 or awd...
Seriously, just get a proper winter tire and you should be totally fine. If you're worried about ice, then don't drive when it's icy.

Or do what I and someone else said and get a beater Subaru.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Been suggested by a few in another thread of his, along with adding weight and adding a LSD.

You're 100% right though proper winter rated tires is going to go a long way. A whole lot cheaper and easier than doing a body swap. But it's his truck and his $$$.

Edit; We live up in the mountain range in Sicamous BC, 80% of the stuff on the road is 2wd and they get around just fine up here as long as they have the right tire and drive accordingly to match the road conditions.

This videos been floating around Facebook for a week or two
Certianly fitting
[yt]STaximkaQxo[/yt]

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah but when you have a real 4wd system like most of our trucks you could have slicks and still take off ok in snow..the difficult part is turning and stopping lol no matter what drivetrain you have tires are important and its not a matter of making due or these will work fine type of thing..its a matter of safety..your own and that of others

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah but when you have a real 4wd system like most of our trucks you could have slicks and still take off ok in snow..the difficult part is turning and stopping lol no matter what drivetrain you have tires are important and its not a matter of making due or these will work fine type of thing..its a matter of safety..your own and that of others

Real 4WD??? mmmkay...if you call an a pegleg front and a LSD rear real 4WD...okay. lol

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4wd on wide summer tires, ANY 4wd/awd on a wide summer tire is never going to compete with a 2wd with proper winter tires. Put 4 summer tires on a Subby and 2 winter tires on any pick-up truck, the truck will do better in snow all day long. Fact.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
4wd on wide summer tires, ANY 4wd/awd on a wide summer tire is never going to compete with a 2wd with proper winter tires. Put 4 summer tires on a Subby and 2 winter tires on any pick-up truck, the truck will do better in snow all day long. Fact.

That's exactly what they did in the video I posted lol

OP
OP
rammanriley20

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
thanks for all the helpful feedback guys. i seriously plan on getting a 4wd chassis and doing a body swap. i have a bunch of buddies who can help, but if for some reason i cant end up doing the body swap im gonna get the best snow tires i can find. ive also thought about the wide rims and im gonna get 17x9 wheels instead of the 15x10 i have now. taller and narrower will be better in snow. and i will for sure make a thread of the body swap if it happens!

edit: i also plan on getting a locker for the rear end

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I thought you had a 4th gen with all the "SRT parts"'that needed repaired?
Wish I had the resources and space for two projects like this!

OP
OP
rammanriley20

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
I thought you had a 4th gen with all the "SRT parts"'that needed repaired?
Wish I had the resources and space for two projects like this!

hmm lets see, i bought the 4th gen already wrecked and put the SRT style front end parts on it instead of OEM. so i could work on a pieced together salvage title, or a clean rust free truck.... it think im gonna work on the clean truck instead...

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Mind starting a thread for your 4th gen and posting some pictures? I've never seen one with all the SRT front end parts" honestly. It must have been a lot of hard work, I would certainly be proud of it, salvage title or not.

OP
OP
rammanriley20

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
Mind starting a thread for your 4th gen and posting some pictures? I've never seen one with all the SRT front end parts" honestly. It must have been a lot of hard work, I would certainly be proud of it, salvage title or not.

SRT ram air hood, vented fenders, and an air dam...had to put new front end parts on anyways plus they were cheaper than OEM, and i guess i can start a thread but im not doing anything to the truck at the moment

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
SRT ram air hood, vented fenders, and an air dam...had to put new front end parts on anyways plus they were cheaper than OEM, and i guess i can start a thread but im not doing anything to the truck at the moment

Sounds cool, looking forward to pictures
Personally I'd pick a 4th gen over a second any day, just such a more comfortable truck

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds cool, looking forward to pictures

Personally I'd pick a 4th gen over a second any day, just such a more comfortable truck

I've driven a fourth gen express and honestly I feel way more comfortable in a second gen than in a 4th. It just seems like it's a lot more cramped than my truck. Of course I'm kind of a big guy too lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
4th gen with bucket seats oh yes huge fan. I love the 2nd but I was not a huge fan of the rainbow seats.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
For a truck I am not lacking any comfort. All depends on what seats you ordered with your 2nd gen truck. Yep leather opt I have no problem's with them at all.

Attachments

• today stuff 023.jpg
    today stuff 023.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 21