So Long Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
buddy just bought a new F150 with 5.0 and he said he did pretty well and was a cash buyer. I regret not getting a Ford. I have been a Ford truck guy since my first new 1978 F150 in 1977. I wanted a Ford 7.3 gasser when I bought my 2020 6.4L mostly because my neighbor is the GM of the Ram dealership and he gave me a really good deal and 7.3 gassers were about impossible to find. I like my power wagon fine enough but every time I see a Tremor I have some regret...
Funny story, my dads first truck was a 77 step side 302 auto. About 12 years later he found it and bought it back. It had a reman motor in it and was not running real great. My dad wanted to wedge a BB in it. He got a call from a buddy that said he had a 68 F100 long bed that they had wedged some BBF motor in. Him and I went out there and couldn't figure out what it was. He thought by the valve covers maybe a 390. He decoded it and it was 428 MCJ motor. He snapped it up and swapped the 302 into the 68 sold that and then the long process of wedging that thing into the engine bay. He was able to make it all work, and went with a 390 ac system so he could run his a/c. It had a c6 behind it and a dana. That truck would leave jet black marks for a 1/4 of mile. It was a fun project. Sorry didn't mean to hijack.

OP
OP
T

Trail Ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
buddy just bought a new F150 with 5.0 and he said he did pretty well and was a cash buyer. I regret not getting a Ford. I have been a Ford truck guy since my first new 1978 F150 in 1977. I wanted a Ford 7.3 gasser when I bought my 2020 6.4L mostly because my neighbor is the GM of the Ram dealership and he gave me a really good deal and 7.3 gassers were about impossible to find. I like my power wagon fine enough but every time I see a Tremor I have some regret...

My first truck:

F150.jpg

OP
OP
T

Trail Ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, my Laramie was $10,000 -$15,000 less then the Lariat, 10 speed transmission is trash, along with the V-6 1,000 moving parts, with bad top end to the 5.0 oil burner, with the Plasma lined piston sleeves, so no piston sleeves.

I got $6,700 off of MSRP which I don't think is bad considering the current market situation where others are apparently paying MSRP or more.

1E5XMFA37014%20Blue%205.0%20FX4%20Window%20Sticker.jpg

So far the 10 speed seems to perform OK. And I know plenty of 5.0L owners that are knocking on 200K with no issues.

I am not saying Ram is junk or that Ford is junk. And I would have bought a another Ram IF I could have found as good or better of a deal, but everyone seemed to want nearly $50,000 or more for a Ram 1500 with less equipment then on the F150 I bought.

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
...My dad has a ecoboost 3.6 F150 and I just don't care for it. It gets worse MPG then my ram, and even with the turbos and some upgraded piping changes, my ram still walks him.
With all due respect, I find this hard to believe. Your RAM walking your dad's 3.6 ecoboost, that is... the EB's are pretty dang fast.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all due respect, I find this hard to believe. Your RAM walking your dad's 3.6 ecoboost, that is... the EB's are pretty dang fast.
Yeah I owned a 2013 F150 with the 3.5 ECO and it was fast as HELL. I took it in for warranty work and they gave me the exact same truck with the 5.0 and it was noticeably less powerful. I do realize that the body is lighter now because of the aluminum and that the 5.0 has been upgraded a couple times since but the 3.5 has been too. Your 5.0 truck has 3.73's......maybe your dads Eco truck has 3.15's.........that could be the difference you're feeling right there.

I do know from a mods point its easy to pick up 100 extra HP with the ECO. I saw on Youtube where a loaded 3.5 ECO FX4 CC easily runs in the low 12s, high 11's just with a tune which is insane.

All that being said I would still buy another F150 if they weren't so damn expensive and they didn't change the body style every three years. at least with this new Ram it has a chance to stay the current body style for at least 5 years. Stupid I know but I hate paying big money for something that's going to be outdated a couple years later.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The Ford 5.0 is now putting the same HP and torque as the 5.7 hemi. Let that sink in.

Ram needs to do something fast.

OP
OP
T

Trail Ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trail Ryder could have got a good deal on a 2021 Ram
Any employee of a company that supplies a product or service to FCA, now Stellantis

Can apply for a special discount
https://www.fcausaffiliates.com/
I know that I am eligible for supplier pricing from the big 3 and was initially looking for a 2021 Ram 1500 but could not find anything in stock plus the Ram rebates were pretty pathetic (Ford gave me $3,000 in rebates plus X-Plan pricing). Let alone I couldn't find 2021 Ram 1500 4X4 Crew Cab with dual power heated seats, the large user interface screen, trailer brake controller, and an electronic rear locker for under $50,000 even with the Stellantis supplier discount.

Some Ram dealers will advertise ridiculously low prices when adding up a bunch of rebates that NO ONE qualifies for.

My neighbor just bought a sweet 2021 Ram 4X4 Crew Cab 2500 HD Cummins and Ram gave him a $500 rebate off of a $70,000+ truck.

OP
OP
T

Trail Ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Ford 5.0 is now putting the same HP and torque as the 5.7 hemi. Let that sink in.

And the Ford is lighter.

My 2015 Ram was a great truck, albeit a little thirsty, and was anvil reliable.

I would have bought a 2021 Ram in a heart beat if I have could have gotten the same level of equipment at the same price as this F150.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 5.0 Coyote is a double overhead cam, 4 valve per cylinder, oversized motorcycle engine. I love my Dodge (yes, mine is still a Dodge. Says so right on the dash) but he 5.7 is woefully outdated. But it still gets the job done.

Ram did NOT give your dad $500. They handed him $500 and in return charged him interest. That is called a LOAN! Ram made money off of that “Rebate”.

^Thats just more balony people fall for in addition to “X-Plan” and MSRP.

OP
OP
T

Trail Ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ram did NOT give your dad $500. They handed him $500 and in return charged him interest. That is called a LOAN! Ram made money off of that “Rebate”.

^Thats just more balony people fall for in addition to “X-Plan” and MSRP.

I am not sure about stipulations of my neighbor's $500 rebate.

But I can tell you this, I paid cash for my truck and still received a $3,700 X-Plan Discount (when local dealers are charging others MSRP or more) PLUS $3,000 in rebates. So Ford or Ford Credit did NOT charge me a dime interest; and there was no loan involved.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am not sure about stipulations of my neighbor's $500 rebate.

But I can tell you this, I paid cash for my truck and still received a $3,700 X-Plan Discount (when local dealers are charging others MSRP or more) PLUS $3,000 in rebates. So Ford or Ford Credit did NOT charge me a dime interest; and there was no loan involved.
I always tell people when it comes to getting a deal on vehicles. Only one person has to be happy and that is the guy or gal driving it off the lot.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You made a good deal for you, that is all that matters.

I bought a brand new 2009 Dodge Ram SLT 5.7 with all the trimmings
It sold below window sticker, the dealer just wanted it off of the sales lot.
When i spotted it, it was way back in a corner, had a flat tire & a dead battery.
It had been on the sales lot for 2 months, because no one wanted an Orange truck

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Direct injection is about all they could do that wouldn’t negatively affect emissions and if they we’re going to go that route they would have already done it. More hybrid electric or EV is pretty much all that’s left of which I’m not interested in at this time.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My first truck:

F150.jpg
Thats awesome! My dads 77 had been in a very minor accident and it had the 78 grill in it. His looked just like that! His had these graphics on the side in white and it had a duck painting back window. I forget what they called it! Thats so cool!

45B5D963-F712-4D6D-BAF7-DB15AF494DBF.jpeg

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
His is also a 4x4. Its quick don't get me wrong.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had 9 F150s, 4 Mustangs and a Ranger, so I've pretty much always been a Ford person. I love my ram for it's interior comfort and quality and ride comfort, as well as what I got for what I paid. It was just too good of a deal to pass up. That being said, when it is time for this one to get replaced, I will again look at Rams, Fords and GMCs and buy what I feel best suits my needs at that time. I will most likely go in knowing that a Ram or a GMC will have to beat the F150 in whatever it is I'm looking for specifically, but I'm certainly not opposed to any of them.

As for the Ecoboost being "fast", I had a tuned 14 Tremor (RCSB 3.5 Ecoboost with 4.10 gears) and a tuned 13 5.0 RCBS with 3.55 gears, and the 5.0 was faster in every way. It wasnt even close. The Tremor was nicer on the interior from the factory, but that was an easy fix.

14 Tremor
tremor.JPG

13 5.0
ford.JPG

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had 9 F150s, 4 Mustangs and a Ranger, so I've pretty much always been a Ford person. I love my ram for it's interior comfort and quality and ride comfort, as well as what I got for what I paid. It was just too good of a deal to pass up. That being said, when it is time for this one to get replaced, I will again look at Rams, Fords and GMCs and buy what I feel best suits my needs at that time. I will most likely go in knowing that a Ram or a GMC will have to beat the F150 in whatever it is I'm looking for specifically, but I'm certainly not opposed to any of them.

As for the Ecoboost being "fast", I had a tuned 14 Tremor (RCSB 3.5 Ecoboost with 4.10 gears) and a tuned 13 5.0 RCBS with 3.55 gears, and the 5.0 was faster in every way. It wasnt even close. The Tremor was nicer on the interior from the factory, but that was an easy fix.

14 Tremor
View attachment 249427

13 5.0
View attachment 249426
No replacement for displacement, unless you own a Grand National or a T type or a GNX.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You paid cash? That’s friggin AWESOME!

You know how weird that makes you? Lol.

If you paid cash, you probably did get a decent deal.

The X plan is still a load of crap. You walk in with cash, and YOU determine the price.

Cash......that is so impressive.