Software update bricks my Setting Screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BobK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Yesterday, I noticed that my Infotainment screen was doing a software update. I thought nothing of it and let it finish. Then today, while listening to Sirius XM, I wanted to look at my Settings screen to adjust something. When I touched the screen, it switched for less than a second and went right back to the home screen. When touching on the Vehicle soft button, it does absolutely nothing and goes to a completely blank screen.. The Settings screen does change for a moment, but nothing is displayed.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any thoughts, short of going to the dealer to get them to re-flash the system? At this point, I can alter nothing on the truck given that I can't get to any screen with anything other than Audio, Nav, or Climate settings

skuppy069

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 cc
Engine
hemi 5.7
First try this .
Hold the power button until the radio reboots
Make sure the truck is running etc .
See if that works first

OP
OP
B

BobK

Reaction score
Ram Year
And I found this for a second attempt if the one you mentioned doesn't do the trick.

To perform a soft reset of your Uconnect system-

1) Put your vehicle into the accessories mode (ACC or RUN)
For keyless start (push-button) vehicles: push the start button twice without having your foot on the gas or brake pedal

2) Hold down the Phone and voice recognition buttons (or tuner and volume knob), at the same time, for thirty seconds.

3) Let go of the buttons

4) Turn the vehicle off

5) Open driver’s side door for thirty seconds (or until dash illumination goes black)

6) Close door

7) Restart vehicle

8) Let the media center load up and see if the concern is still present

skuppy069

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 cc
Engine
hemi 5.7
The step you mentioned won’t work for Uconnect 5
To do a factory reset go to settings menu then scroll all the way down to reset and then select factory reset
It will wipe all your settings but atleast it will more than likely sort
Your problem out

OP
OP
B

BobK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Well, a factory reset is then out of the question, since its the Settings screen that I can't get to as a result of this latest update......

OP
OP
B

BobK

Reaction score
Ram Year
I used the power button reset trick and unfortunately nothing changed. I mistakenly have been saying that its the Settings App soft button that is the problem when actually it is the "Apps" soft button which would get me to the Settings. After this reset all the same issues when pressing the Apps button continued with an inability to load the page with all the applications.

I'm reluctant to try the battery disconnect approach because if this would reset all the settings I've chosen and then I still can't get to the Settings application via the Apps button, then I'm stuck with default settings for everything I've changed.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I used the power button reset trick and unfortunately nothing changed. I mistakenly have been saying that its the Settings App soft button that is the problem when actually it is the "Apps" soft button which would get me to the Settings. After this reset all the same issues when pressing the Apps button continued with an inability to load the page with all the applications.

I'm reluctant to try the battery disconnect approach because if this would reset all the settings I've chosen and then I still can't get to the Settings application via the Apps button, then I'm stuck with default settings for everything I've changed.
Mine did the update and all is working fine. Not sure removing the negative battery cable would wipe out your settings. I’ve replaced a battery as have multitudes of others. My settings were not deleted, can’t speak for others but it’s never been mentioned as an issue on this forum.

OP
OP
B

BobK

Reaction score
Ram Year
You will have to just do a factory reset that’s how mine got fixed

Not sure how I can do a factory reset since that requires that I use the Settings menu to go to Factory Reset. Since I can't get to the "Apps" section of the screen to get to the Settings App.

skuppy069

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 cc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok can you try this
Create a new profile etc and then see if the settings show after the new profile loads .

OP
OP
B

BobK

Reaction score
Ram Year
You will have to just do a factory reset that’s how mine got fixed

Ok can you try this
Create a new profile etc and then see if the settings show after the new profile loads .
Ok good news and bad news. First the good news - When I added a new profile the "Apps" and "Vehicle screen are now populated and seem to be working just fine......thank you! Now the bad news - all my original profile settings were lost and now I need to sit in the truck and remember all of them and change them back. Also, I have tried deleting the former "bad" profile and while the truck says it has been deleted, it is still there and shows up on the screen.

skuppy069

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 cc
Engine
hemi 5.7
So I would go into the new profile you created and do a factory reset
That will clear all profiles and then do I new profile and you are all done

OP
OP
B

BobK

Reaction score
Ram Year
So I would go into the new profile you created and do a factory reset
That will clear all profiles and then do I new profile and you are all done

That seems to have worked, thank you. Now to re-populate all my settings and radio stations.......

DB Cooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETORQ
Well, a factory reset is then out of the question, since its the Settings screen that I can't get to as a result of this latest update......
You need to hold both the power button and the other button same size to the right of the screen(can't recall the name). Hold the both down, the system will reboot and be fine after that.

OP
OP
B

BobK

Reaction score
Ram Year
You need to hold both the power button and the other button same size to the right of the screen(can't recall the name). Hold the both down, the system will reboot and be fine after that.

Nope that didn't work. The only thing that worked was to create a new profile, delete the old profiles and start all over with adjusting the settings and radio stations that I had already saved.