Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAMES J CROSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I destroyed the Dana 60 case on my 04 1500 4x4 and all i could afford was a used 9.25. I didnt notice that it was a 9.25 at first or I probably would have passed. My original plan was: Swap my carrier since it is a 3.92 LS and the donor case has 3.55 open diff. Now I have 2 questions:

1. Will a 9.25 take a Dana 60 carrier? They look pretty close to the same size. The LS seems just a little longer which I figured was due to the clustch assemblies.

2. My 9.25 does not have the groove behind the pinion races the most people I have seen use to remove them. I was able to get the out race with a slide hammer but there isn't a big enough lip on the inner race to get it with anything. Has anyone seen this? If so how do I remove it? Fire?

20210602_201205.jpg

20210602_201130.jpg

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your 1500 will have a 9¼ from the factory unless you or someone else put a Dana 60 in (which has a 9¾ ring gear). Dana 60 and OEM 9¼ internal parts are not interchangeable.

OP
OP
J

JAMES J CROSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the clarification Lonestar. Are there changes to the 9.25 from year to year? I mean the two that I have look very similar but there are slight differences. One of which is the lack of grooves for pinion race removal.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The 9¼ goes all the way back to the early 70's, one came stock under my '74 Monaco. There was a major internal change I wanna say in the 80's somewhere, but they're pretty much the same. 02-08 Rams they are identical except for some minor external stuff (bump stops are different between 2wd & 4wd) and the later 3rd gens when they started relocating speed sensors. This is a 9¼:
DSC00955.JPG

This is a Dana 60:
DSC00961.JPG

I actually put a Dana 60 in my 1500 lol.

OP
OP
J

JAMES J CROSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks again Loanstar. How do I remove the inner pinion race though? I have everything figured out after that now.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Screwdriver and hammer. That's what I did. If that pinion race isn't pitted and Still smooth. I wouldn't worry about it. Mine was ****** up so I spent like an hour trying to bang it out

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Screwdriver and hammer. That's what I did. If that pinion race isn't pitted and Still smooth. I wouldn't worry about it. Mine was ****** up so I spent like an hour trying to bang it out
One thing is for sure, even if the pinion race looks good please knock it out and drive a new one in. New pinion bearings come with a race for a reason and it is because of the machining process and how they match the new bearing to the race. There is no way to guarantee the old race is an exact machined match to the new bearing. Even the slightest difference will cause early wear and potential failure.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
One thing is for sure, even if the pinion race looks good please knock it out and drive a new one in. New pinion bearings come with a race for a reason and it is because of the machining process and how they match the new bearing to the race. There is no way to guarantee the old race is an exact machined match to the new bearing. Even the slightest difference will cause early wear and potential failure.
This is also true