SOS!!! PA emissions test

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Son has a 2018 2500 6.4 that he needs to get his annual PA safety inspection done. He took a vacation day today but he also needs emissions and nobody has the equipment to do it and without the emissions they will not do the regular safety inspection, making it illegal for him to drive his truck. We have called 2 Dodge dealers and a Chevy dealer. Apparently the 2500's registered under 9001lbs require it but it is a different test than the cars and light trucks have. They require the tailpipe sniffer that nobody has anymore. So because it is tied to the safety inspection nobody will do that either?
We are in western PA just north of Pittsburgh. Anyone know of any places that can do it today? Or he will be back near Holidaysburg, PA next week if there are any places out there that can do it. After next week he will probably be in Baytown, TX for a few months so needs to get it done this week.

UPDATE: after calling about 25 places he found 1 place that can do it and is on his way there now. But post if you know of any places just in case this place doesn't come through.

Thanks!

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why require something that no one is capable of doing? That's just plain f***ing stupid.
Agreed. But he got it done. We called about 25 places before we found one that could do it and it's done now. But yeah, very stupid. I remember when I bought mine I bought it from a used dealer with 8000 miles on it and he called and told me he couldn't get the emissions test done because the Dodge dealer he went to couldn't do it. I thought that was dumb but I don't need emissions anyway because of where I live but that makes sense now. But I think I remember a few months ago a news channel was talking about it saying people were having trouble getting them done but I didn't pay much attention to it at the time. Apparently it's not the same emissions test they do on cars and light trucks for some reason.

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After calling about 25 places he got it done. The new car dealerships can't do them either. We called 3 of them. The place he went to said they have one of the only machines around and the local Ford dealer sends all of their gas F250's to him to do, even the brand new ones. From what they said this is supposed to be the last year for this type of testing on these trucks. The guy told him the best bet is to reduce the registered weight down so you can get the regular emissions test that the cars and light trucks get but then he won't be legal to tow his camper.

Mistwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is a GVW thing in PA and a very very small window that requires the tail pipe sniffer. Yes it is fn stupid when hardly anyone has that equipment anymore. Shop we use normally has a tail pipe sniffer but it is broken and owner says parts are not available for it anymore. So it sits in a corner collecting dust. We have a Ford Transit at work and it is like 8800lb GVW and it required tail pipe and OBD. Had hell of a time getting it done also. Also in Warrendale area. Think the window is 8700lb-9200lb registered GVW for the tail pipe test from what we were told. I'll have to ask warehouse manager who they found to do van.

My 2500 is registered at 7000lb or so but dealer did that.

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah...I used to work in Warrendale across from the postal sorting center on Brush Creek Road in front of the old Verizon building..

So what is the deal with these weights? My door sticker says 10,000 and my registration says Class: 03 but reg gross weight on my registration says 9000. Are all of those numbers correct? I have a class 3 sticker on my windshield too.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Son has a 2018 2500 6.4 that he needs to get his annual PA safety inspection done. He took a vacation day today but he also needs emissions and nobody has the equipment to do it and without the emissions they will not do the regular safety inspection, making it illegal for him to drive his truck. We have called 2 Dodge dealers and a Chevy dealer. Apparently the 2500's registered under 9001lbs require it but it is a different test than the cars and light trucks have. They require the tailpipe sniffer that nobody has anymore. So because it is tied to the safety inspection nobody will do that either?
We are in western PA just north of Pittsburgh. Anyone know of any places that can do it today? Or he will be back near Holidaysburg, PA next week if there are any places out there that can do it. After next week he will probably be in Baytown, TX for a few months so needs to get it done this week.

UPDATE: after calling about 25 places he found 1 place that can do it and is on his way there now. But post if you know of any places just in case this place doesn't come through.

Thanks!

The state's (or local GOV) office that manages emissions testing doesn't post locations of testing facilities on a Web site since they certify these testing facilities? After it's all said and done, I would complain to that office if it isn't. If GOV is requiring something, then it has to tell you how to do it.

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Didn't check the states website

Talked to my dock neighbor at the marina that is a mechanic at a Toyota dealer and he said they don't have the equipment to do it either. He said they were just complaining about it the other day. When they get 2500 gassers in they have to send them out too. And he said most places that still have those machines they don't work anyway.

Mistwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah...I used to work in Warrendale across from the postal sorting center on Brush Creek Road in front of the old Verizon building..

So what is the deal with these weights? My door sticker says 10,000 and my registration says Class: 03 but reg gross weight on my registration says 9000. Are all of those numbers correct? I have a class 3 sticker on my windshield too.

I work right in Thornhill, small world. I'd say dealer registered your truck like that when you got it.

Amazing how they want tests done with obsolete equipment that can't be fixed/serviced anymore. Course PA is run by a bunch of friggn idiots. I didn't even realize a tailpipe test was even a thing anymore until our warehouse van needed it.

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep. Stupidity runs rampant in government, just look at PA for examples...lol

They call me DLD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep. Stupidity runs rampant in government, just look at PA for examples...lol
My 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 2WD 5.7 gas powered Hemi has the same issue in Pennsylvania. Has a 3.73 axle ratio. The GVW rating is 8,800.

The same truck with a 4.10 gear might have had a higher GVW rating and therefore might have avoided the troubles.
I live in Chester County and had to bring it to the Ford Dealer in Coatesville for the "two speed idle" emission test, then I returned to my preferred shop to do the remainder of the state inspection.

This results in a complete loss of any respect for govt bureaucrats.

New Ram 2500 pickups with the 6.4 Hemi have a GVWR of 10,000 so this problem goes away when you purchase a new 2500.

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not so sure about that. Ours are both 2018'. My registration card says 9000lb but my door sticker says 10,000. My son's is the same. I initially was told we were exempt because of the GVWR. I am exempt anyway because of where I live in PA but my son isn't and it says right on his registration card that emissions was required. I am confused as to why the registration card says 9000lbs though when the door sticker says 10,000? I paid $182 or something for registration each year and have a Class 3 sticker. My registration card says Class 3 on it too but says unladen weight is only 5983. I weighed mine with me in it and 1/2 tank of fuel and it was 7240lbs

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I find it very ironic that we pee-ons have to abide by all these emissions yet the rich people like Elon Musk get to put 150k miles a year on their private jet and blast coal rolling kerosene rockets into the air for a profit while chastising us for not doing our part to help the environment. People like Leonardo Decaprio and Al Gore tell us that we need to lower our carbon footprint yet fly in private jets, own multiple mansions, and even a whole island for themselves.

Sorry, rant over.......

Hd74ica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Speaking of emissions this new electric Hummer is a joke. I mean I like clean mountain air and blue oceans but who the hell is GM trying to BS? Only 300 miles to a charge, how the hell you going to pull your travel trailer coast to coast? And the biggest joke of it all is the $112,000 price tag, only people driving that will be Hollywood liberals. Bawhaha

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Speaking of emissions this new electric Hummer is a joke. I mean I like clean mountain air and blue oceans but who the hell is GM trying to BS? Only 300 miles to a charge, how the hell you going to pull your travel trailer coast to coast?
That's most likely 300 miles while not towing, put a trailer behind the truck your range will be cut down to a third before having to recharge. Trucks need to be powered by hydrogen, it's still emissions free and the refill time is similar to gasoline.
Cummins is pushing hard into the hydrogen fuel cell technology as the power density just won't be there for trucks towing trailers

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That's most likely 300 miles while not towing, put a trailer behind the truck your range will be cut down to a third before having to recharge.

Hmmm.... maybe I could hook up my generator and charge while driving. Wait.... that would defeat the whole purpose of the electric vehicle I suppose.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
That's most likely 300 miles while not towing, put a trailer behind the truck your range will be cut down to a third before having to recharge. Trucks need to be powered by hydrogen, it's still emissions free and the refill time is similar to gasoline.
Cummins is pushing hard into the hydrogen fuel cell technology as the power density just won't be there for trucks towing trailers

Technically not emissions free. They do emit H20 and warm air. I think it is a much better long term solution that meets most current vehicle performance requirements. If all the money / R&D put into rechargeable batteries had gone into hydrogen we probably would hav been there by now. The hardest part about hydrogen is producing it economically.