SOS Trailer Brakes not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AFinc249

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all,
I have not quite found my exact problem on here yet, so If anyone knows a thread or site that can help me feel free to add it. I have looked a lot of places and cannot seem to find the answer. So here we go: I have a 2018 Ram 1500 and I cannot get the truck to work the trailer brakes. I have checked all the fuses that correspond with the trailer brake and they were all good. I also plugged my trailer into my dads Chevy and it works just fine. So I eliminated the trailer from the possible problems. When I plug the trailer into my truck the lights all work as they are supposed to, the only thing that will not work is the trailer brakes. So I also tested the brake prong on the inlet to the truck while someone was hitting the brakes and I am getting no power to that prong. The truck also will not even register there is a trailer connected. And like I said all the lights on the trailer will work just not the brakes. So I am fairly well stumped. I looked at the wires and they do not seem to have any nicks or shorts in them. Has anyone had this problem before? I might've forgot to mention that my truck is a Bighorn and has the integrated brake controller. Any help is appreciated I seem to be running out of ideas.:wtf2:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Did you check the F11 fuse with a meter?
pull the plug out of the back of the 7 pin in the bumper and check for power there, the 7 pin in the bumper has been reported bad.
Also the other area of problems reported is in the wiring harness around the back of the front wheel-well

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you tested at the trailer plug and there is no power. Trace the wire from the plug up to the fuse box and find out where the disconnect is. As stated above, verify power at the fuse. If you have power there just start chasing the wire back. If you have any connection that is a good place to check the wire for power, and a visual inspection of the wiring harness may show an obvious issue.

James Stiner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L L6 OHV 24V TURBO DIESEL
I'm a total novice. So any suggestions are very much appreciated.
Exactly where and how do I find the above-mentioned wiring harness?
Is this harness only for my trailer brakes, or is it the connection for the entire ABS/electronic brake system? I'm now stuck in New Mexico during a cross-country RV trip being flashed and dinged-to-death with on/off intermittent "Service Antilock Brake System" dash message. Elsewhere someone reported they cleaned a related wiring harness and the problem stopped. But I can't now find that thread and I have no idea where that wiring harness might be?

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
go to an Advance Auto or Autozone and have them do a code scan. A "Service Antilock Brake System" seems to be something other than trailer brakes. Trailer brakes and cruise control get screwed up when there are other problems.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So I also tested the brake prong on the inlet to the truck while someone was hitting the brakes and I am getting no power to that prong. The truck also will not even register there is a trailer connected.
I might've forgot to mention that my truck is a Bighorn and has the integrated brake controller. Any help is appreciated I seem to be running out of ideas.
Is the brake controller factory installed?
When you slide the brake controller slider all the way, does your DIC show a percentage of brake output?

You can not test the 7-pin brake output by someone pushing the brake pedal, have them use the manual slider to cause a brake signal. Keep in mind this is a modulated signal so your meter will likely show less than 12 volts.

The troubling part is that your truck doesn't seem to realize a trailer, with electric trailer brakes, is connected. That typically points to a grounding issue but the trailer brakes work on your Dad's truck and on your truck, all the lights work.

Your trailer brake controller may be bad, has it ever worked in the past?

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The above (by BossHogg) is where I'd go to - it is POSSIBLE that, if the brake controller wasn't factory installed, that it was installed improperly. In other words, all the components are there, but nothing was ever activated in the computer. It's really a two-step process, you have to install the components, then you need to reprogram the computer to tell it that the new components are installed, otherwise the ITBC won't work properly and won't control your trailer brakes. It isn't just a 'plug it in and it works' setup.

If it was installed after purchase, there is ALSO the possibility that it's the wrong ITBC module. Certain part numbers only work with certain years, I don't believe their is a 'generic' part number that is universal, due to changes in the trucks over the years.

If you don't have access to a programmer, or don't know what you're doing, you can take it to a shop (a dealer will be most familiar with it) and have it activated that way. They will also be able to confirm if you have the proper controller for your truck.

zrock

Reaction score
by any chance did the truck used to have air suspension and had been deleted? Their is a fuse that is shared by the trailer brake and air suspension for some reason. I had the exact same issue and after lots of trouble shooting i found the fuse that had been pulled was the issue. When you step on the brake can you hear movement behind the controller?
FIrst thing i would check is ALL you fuses, and make sure all fuses are in place

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The last several posts have some good advice.......but do they know they are replying to a 9 month old post?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452