Sounds bad on cold start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lagerstout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
So after sitting for 7 days while I was away at a Microsoft conference, my engine sounded bad for about 1 -1.5 seconds during the cold start. Has this happened to anybody else? It's the first time I've heard this sort of thing.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Oil drained out of the lifters and it took that few seconds to pump the lifters back up.
Its common and the noise sucks, how long has it been since the oil and filter was changed and what types in it oil and filter.

OP
OP
L

lagerstout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Oil drained out of the lifters and it took that few seconds to pump the lifters back up.
Its common and the noise sucks, how long has it been since the oil and filter was changed and what types in it oil and filter.

Last oil change was about ~1200mi ago with PUP 5w30 and Fram Ultra Synthetic filter.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
You could depress the gas pedal all the way and turn the engine over for a couple seconds, then release the pedal, it will put the truck into flood mode and it won’t fire until you release the gas pedal, therefore allowing the oil to reach the valve train and lube it up before ignition and you won’t get that cold start tic.

I don’t believe it does or would cause any harm, but I really don’t know the newer trucks and could be wrong (someone correct me if I’m wrong) so I’m not sure if it still can be done in that fashion, especially with all the electronics and whatnot.

OP
OP
L

lagerstout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Good to see that this is indeed rare. I've had the truck for a year and it was the first time that the truck sat for that many continuous days.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Good to see that this is indeed rare. I've had the truck for a year and it was the first time that the truck sat for that many continuous days.

Should go out to the dealership lot and have them fire up some of the trucks that haven't been moved in a week. They all sound like that. At least that's what I got when I brought up the same concern to my service adviser. We went on a little trip around the lot and almost every truck we started did this.