Spare parts to keep on hand?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I came very close to losing my jack hold down bolt due to rust, too, and was just able to get it out with the help of a lot of rust breaker and a soft touch on the pliers. My solution for the time being is to clean the threads thoroughly and reinstall with a big dollop of grease on the underside to try to keep moisture out, and some on the threads as well. Longer term I'm thinking I might have to cut down that bolt some. It extends well past the floorboard, and that's completely unnecessary and makes removal even harder.
Yeah I don't have the factory jack. My lower part on the inside where the gears mesh slipped as it was jacking. Cheap stamped steel just sheared. I carry a floor Jack now. Almost left me stranded, the screw was pushing on the gas tank and the tire was off already. Had to walk half mile and "borrow" a construction sites excavator at 2 am. It lifted the truck no problem [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

HemiJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I came very close to losing my jack hold down bolt due to rust, too, and was just able to get it out with the help of a lot of rust breaker and a soft touch on the pliers. My solution for the time being is to clean the threads thoroughly and reinstall with a big dollop of grease on the underside to try to keep moisture out, and some on the threads as well. Longer term I'm thinking I might have to cut down that bolt some. It extends well past the floorboard, and that's completely unnecessary and makes removal even harder.
I did the 5th gen jack hold down bolt conversion. It was like 5 bucks for the new bolt and the holds down. It threads from the top so if the the bolt rusts to the frame you can still use your jack.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My solution for the time being is to clean the threads thoroughly and reinstall with a big dollop of grease on the underside to try to keep moisture out, and some on the threads as well. Longer term I'm thinking I might have to cut down that bolt some.
Buy these two parts:
06508288AA
06512623AA
They're the factory hold down parts used starting with the '18 model year and less than $20 for both. It's a stud and hold down but that will work on both the 1500 and HD trucks.