Speaker wiring in a '97 with Infinity setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpilk99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been wanting to get better sound in my 1997 Ram 1500 but wasn't going to go nuts on a new head unit, amp(s), and speakers. I like the dash/look and kinda like that joystick of a fader/balance control. Then the 6x9 in my driver's door started to sound like paper mache. I thought I might do a temporary fix with some 'liquid rubber' and re-seal the cone (assuming that was the issue - but it was not, speaker junk).

So, I'm going to replace that speaker, and might as well buy ...6 new speakers, (2" tweeters & 6x9" in doors, then 5.5" rounds in back I believe). Anyhow, my real question here is: Looking at the speaker & wiring having removed the drivers' 6x9:

There are 4 wires in the harness to the speaker, not 2. Whatever new speakers I buy, they ain't gonna come with the wiring harness connector(s) that these speakers have - and I don't believe they're 2-way speakers...but now that I think about it maybe they are (see pics, little center cone in the middle. What is the wiring scheme for these 6x9s? Maybe black is NEG & gray is POS for the low tones and red is POS and green is NEG for tweeter??

Attachments

• IMG_2989.jpg
    IMG_2989.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1

Kurt20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m doing the same right now. With my new unit and speakers it will cut out when turning the volume up and eventually turn off completely. Prior to this all the speakers and vehicles I worked on never had any amps on the speakers so I just said screw it and rigged em up. I’m still trying to find out if there is a fifth (main) amp somewhere in the truck messing it up. Could also be a ground issue I’m not sure. I’ve also been thinking about running new wiring so that I don’t have to deal with any of it but it may be easier to remove all the amps, bypass them, or just keep all the amps on the new speakers. Hope this helps with deciding what you should do. Updates appreciated.