Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speedometer Needle 3MPH Faster Than Digital Display

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Marathon84, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Marathon84

Marathon84 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I drive a lot on the highway with cruise control on. When I first got the truck I noticed how closely the speedometer needle and digital display matched. Everything was great. I didn't need to have the digital speedometer up to get an accurate speed.

I got an alignment done and on my next highway drive I noticed the speedometer needle was now 3MPH faster than the digital. Digital readout says 75MPH and the needle is at 78MPH. Used a digital app to determine that the digital readout is correct and the analog needle is fast. It's been like this ever since, 1000 miles of highway driving.

Took it into the dealership for the recent recall on the PCM module and asked them to fix it. They told me there were no error codes and they couldn't duplicate the problem. The did the PCM update and said that should fix any issues. It did not. Still having the problem - the speedometer needle isn't accurate and I have to use the digital display to know my correct speed.

The truck is a bone stock 2018 1500 with 5.7 hemi. Factory wheels & tires. Anyone else experiencing a similar issue or have any ideas? What do I tell the dealership service department when I take it back? It doesn't seem like they consider it a problem.

2. GordDavey

GordDavey Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I’ve found on my speedo that it is the bottom edge of the needle that matches the correct speed.

if you need to. It is easy to remove speedo and adjust he needle. 4 screws in plastic shroud then two at bottom of speedo. To get speedo out. One electrical connector on back of speedo. It is easier to get speedo out if you remove the plastic steering column housing between the speedo and the steering wheel. Just two screws underneath close to the steering wheel on left and right side. Once out you can move the needle a little bit. Not hard to do. Don’t put too much force on the needle and protect the speedo lens from scratches when taking it out of the dash.

Tim7139 likes this.
  3. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Mine seems to be good

A5D4ED73-C5E1-47ED-BF1B-61AC55F751FF.jpeg

Spirit79, Marathon84, JoeCo and 2 others like this.
  4. likes2build

likes2build Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2018 Express RCSB
    Engine:
    3.6 Pentastar
    @JB1 love it, lol

JB1 likes this.
  5. Marathon84

Marathon84 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Knowing me I would probably break it just getting it out :)

6. Thornback

Thornback Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.1
    I would not care. Remember --" A man with two watches is never sure of the correct time".

GordDavey, JoeCo and Harley Harrold like this.
  7. SaltyJ

SaltyJ Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Its quite easy to take out the Speedometer, just look up Evic Upgrade on YouTube for multiple tutorials on how to take out your Cluster...

8. Joseph Godvin

Joseph Godvin Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Been a Mechanic for 50 years, in the 70's worked at a Dodge Dealer, it was Normal for speedometers back then to be off an average off + or - 3mph, each tooth on the speedo gear in the trans was worth 3 mph. wouldn't worry about it !!!

JB1 likes this.