Speedometer Needle 3MPH Faster Than Digital Display

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marathon84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I drive a lot on the highway with cruise control on. When I first got the truck I noticed how closely the speedometer needle and digital display matched. Everything was great. I didn't need to have the digital speedometer up to get an accurate speed.

I got an alignment done and on my next highway drive I noticed the speedometer needle was now 3MPH faster than the digital. Digital readout says 75MPH and the needle is at 78MPH. Used a digital app to determine that the digital readout is correct and the analog needle is fast. It's been like this ever since, 1000 miles of highway driving.

Took it into the dealership for the recent recall on the PCM module and asked them to fix it. They told me there were no error codes and they couldn't duplicate the problem. The did the PCM update and said that should fix any issues. It did not. Still having the problem - the speedometer needle isn't accurate and I have to use the digital display to know my correct speed.

The truck is a bone stock 2018 1500 with 5.7 hemi. Factory wheels & tires. Anyone else experiencing a similar issue or have any ideas? What do I tell the dealership service department when I take it back? It doesn't seem like they consider it a problem.

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve found on my speedo that it is the bottom edge of the needle that matches the correct speed.

if you need to. It is easy to remove speedo and adjust he needle. 4 screws in plastic shroud then two at bottom of speedo. To get speedo out. One electrical connector on back of speedo. It is easier to get speedo out if you remove the plastic steering column housing between the speedo and the steering wheel. Just two screws underneath close to the steering wheel on left and right side. Once out you can move the needle a little bit. Not hard to do. Don’t put too much force on the needle and protect the speedo lens from scratches when taking it out of the dash.

OP
OP
Marathon84

Marathon84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Knowing me I would probably break it just getting it out :)

I’ve found on my speedo that it is the bottom edge of the needle that matches the correct speed.

if you need to. It is easy to remove speedo and adjust he needle. 4 screws in plastic shroud then two at bottom of speedo. To get speedo out. One electrical connector on back of speedo. It is easier to get speedo out if you remove the plastic steering column housing between the speedo and the steering wheel. Just two screws underneath close to the steering wheel on left and right side. Once out you can move the needle a little bit. Not hard to do. Don’t put too much force on the needle and protect the speedo lens from scratches when taking it out of the dash.

SaltyJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Hemi 5.7
Knowing me I would probably break it just getting it out :)

Its quite easy to take out the Speedometer, just look up Evic Upgrade on YouTube for multiple tutorials on how to take out your Cluster...

Joseph Godvin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been a Mechanic for 50 years, in the 70's worked at a Dodge Dealer, it was Normal for speedometers back then to be off an average off + or - 3mph, each tooth on the speedo gear in the trans was worth 3 mph. wouldn't worry about it !!!

Reactions: JB1

BDWebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I just bought a Canadian truck with the same issue. Can you give me some more info about moving the needle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scubasteege

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just bought a Canadian truck with the same issue. Can you give me some more info about moving the needle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m interested also. Although mine is 3mph slow and evic is correct to gps

R-mega

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
I purchased a Canadian 2017 Ram Laramie with the eco Diesel and I have the same problem. Speedometer is off by about 3 miles per hour

Did you ever figure anything out?