Squeaky noise underneath truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Uli Jon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I drive a 2014 Big Horn 4x4, 80K miles, bought new.

As I drive there is a squeak / chirping noise audible on both sides of the truck from underneath. It is not the typical brake wear indicator sound.

The last work I had done on it was four new Michelin tires, new struts and an alignment on Black Friday 2018, so about 6 weeks ago. It's been doing it for a month or so.

Only mod to the suspension is a 2" level by a third party in summer 2017.

I went to that tire place today and the manager drove around with me to hear the noise; he doesn't know what it is either. So I need to go back when their mechanics are able to look at it; there was not time this evening.

The noise does stop when I brake, but not when they're lightly tapped; it must be a regular brake depression.

Does anyone have a similar experience or know what the heck this is? Much appreciated!

Last edited:

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Mine does it and I'm bone stock. Dealership said emergency brake cables were culprit. Adjusted and was gone for a month, but now it's back.

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Damn... no... only wierd noise I get is going from park to Drive and vice versa.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the front sway bar end link bushings, if not it could be the strut center bolt isn’t tight.

Tpearson515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spray the upper strut nut through the top of the strut with a silicone lubricant spray, (both sides) I have to do this every 2-3 months, had the same issue , took quite a while to find it, hope this helps I know mine drove me insane.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same problem coming from the drivers side. I took the wheel off and everything looks okay for 53k. Sprayed some grease around the top and bottom of the shock with no luck. I can initiate the noise by jumping on my driver's running board. Noise is louder and more frequent when the weather is cold and by cold I mean below 50 (Florida cold).

I ordered a sway bar end link because that looked a little beat up. What else could it be? I would describe the noise as a pitch squeak.

Edit:
2015 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x2

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine does it and I'm bone stock. Dealership said emergency brake cables were culprit. Adjusted and was gone for a month, but now it's back.

That’s the only thing I can find underneath my truck that it could be. I’d describe mine as more of a rattle than a squeak. And it’s definitely coming from the rear half of the truck.
Adjusting the parking brake does not sound like an easy simple task. It sounds like you do not adjust the cable, you adjust at the pads.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
That’s the only thing I can find underneath my truck that it could be. I’d describe mine as more of a rattle than a squeak. And it’s definitely coming from the rear half of the truck.
Adjusting the parking brake does not sound like an easy simple task. It sounds like you do not adjust the cable, you adjust at the pads.

I just rechecked everything, and sure enough, it's the cables again. Driver's side rear above the lower control arm, wire bracket. They squeek against the brackets.

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same problem coming from the drivers side. I took the wheel off and everything looks okay for 53k. Sprayed some grease around the top and bottom of the shock with no luck. I can initiate the noise by jumping on my driver's running board. Noise is louder and more frequent when the weather is cold and by cold I mean below 50 (Florida cold).

I ordered a sway bar end link because that looked a little beat up. What else could it be? I would describe the noise as a pitch squeak.

Edit:
2015 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x2

I should have clarified my noise is coming distinctly from the front.

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When my 2500 was new, I had a squeak in the rear over rough roads. Turns out, it was the spare squeaking. It was rubbing the heat shield from the exhaust. Took me forever to find it until I got under the truck and started shaking things.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me the hand brake cable war rattling under the rear of the cab. I put some duct tape at that location and now this noise is gone.

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I should have clarified my noise is coming distinctly from the front.

I found out where my noise was coming from. I replaced the drivers side headlight over the summer due to water building up inside of it. I removed and reinstalled the headlight and also made sure nothing was loose. No more squeaking

OP
OP
Uli Jon

Uli Jon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Been a while but finally got this fixed and answered a few months ago. They replaced the struts and mounts installed in Nov. 2018 and no more noise. They also said the 2" leveling kit had something to do with it; I am not knowledgeable enough to know how the struts caused it or if the kit had anything to do with it. They did it at no cost so I appreciate it either way. It's nice to drive with the windows down again!