Standard trans fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

restopaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
2014 2500 with Cummins and six speed manual transmission. Anyone using trans fluid or additives to make shifting easier, especially in cold weather?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Redline c+ or Amsoil transmission fluid have really low cold pour points. Wait though, since you have a manual it might be d4. Any oil gets really thick when it is cold out, some base oils called pao have way better cold performance. Transmission fluid is about a 0w20 as far as viscosity, and as you can see in this chart the fluids viscosity versus temp versus weight, even thin oils are thicker then the thickest oil when warm. Sometimes just an oil change will help, but in your case I'm not sure. Look at stat sheets and pour points. But, I'm not exactly sure because you have a manual. So check the fluid level, is it low or too high? After that if you are lucky it would be in clutch, but other causes would be on hard components of trans.

Is it on oem fluid? One potential causes could be wrong fluid as well. Do you know what fluid your transmission is spec'd for?

OilViscosityChart-Valvoline.gif

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
check tdr, probably will get more replies as I would bet their are way many guys with manual cummins over there, I know 2 of them and I used to be one of them.